New member, in need of a friend...

Old 08-01-2002, 10:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Learning to love life...

Unhappy New member, in need of a friend...

Hi,
I am so glad to have found this site... it's amazing how things come to you in your times of need.
Anyhow, my husband is an alcoholic/addict and things have just come to surface with it all. He has been in and out of AA and NA for months now, but with no firm commitment or true desire for recovery. With that said, it makes sense that he keeps failing in his recovery. I feel so much for him because he truly wants a healthy and sober life, but has no idea how to find it.
And then there is me... I am a co-dependant wife and mother, struggling to cope with the prescence of alcoholism in my life. I have big strides in recent months, and am proud of how far I've come. I go to the local Al-anon meeting when I can (finding a babysitter isn't always easy), and try every day to explore who I really am. I am a little lost in my sense of spirituality, and that is a struggle.
What I really need is someone who is able to be an online sponser for me... or at least a friend who has had experience in Al-anon life. One of the toughest things for me is that the local Al-anon group has only 3 members - I live in a small town. It is very hard to gain the knowledge and support from these members as I find it hard to relate to them at times.
Please respond if you have any advice, or just some friendly words...
Thank you,
Meg
Old 08-01-2002, 10:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Welcome Meg,

I'm not sure about finding an online sponsor, but I know that we all support each other here and you can jump in at any time and post whatever is on your mind. It sounds like you are going in the right direction and just need more support and others to talk to.

There are lots of us here. I'm sure others will be along to welcome you soon.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

Hugs,

MG

Old 08-01-2002, 11:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Hi Meg and welcome,
You have come to the right place, there
is alot of love and support here. I am
the mother of two addicts, but there
are many wives and girlfriends of addicts
here as well. Sounds like you are well
on your way on the recovery road.....
Keep coming back, and feel free to vent,
share or just whatever you feel like
doing!!! There is always someone here
to listen and offer support.

Hugs,
Old 08-02-2002, 03:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hi Meg

Welcome!

You have a found a great place of support here. My spouse is my A and I would not have gotten through some of my rough times if I hadn't found this site. Everyone here is very wonderful and supportive.

It sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Read some of the posts, I think you will find them very helpful and keep coming back.

You take care.

Many hugs.
Debbie
Old 08-02-2002, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mo

Welcome Meg

You are at the right place!! I am the mother of an addicted daughter. I have received alot of great support at this site. You will too. Keep coming back it works!!
Blessings Mo
Old 08-02-2002, 08:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Meg!

Welcome to the recovery forum! Always feel free to come here and let it all hang out. We've all been there and we DO want to hear it!

Keep posting,
Hugs,
Smoke
Old 08-02-2002, 12:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Meg,
My husband is also my A and we are in the midst of turmoil and upheaval. This site has been a life saver for me over the past few months. There are many wonderful and supportive people here. There are also chats every Sunday night, we can check the time zone for you. take care...
Old 08-03-2002, 11:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Meg,

I think I just about missed the welcomes, but I just got back in town. My husband is and addict and we have three children. I have just recently accepting that he is an addict however; he hasn't done the same. I also live in a small town and have been unable to finds meeting close to home. (and of course the baby sitter thing is a problem too) I have found lots of support here and through my Church and my HP.

Keep coming back, these ladies have been a great help to me.

:shades2: Constant
Old 08-04-2002, 06:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Welcome Meg!

I also have been out of town. I think you will find alot of support here. Check the book club list and stock up on your literature from your meeting as well. I would still get to that meeting as often as possible...it may grow and face to face is still the best way.

Hugs,

JT
Old 01-02-2003, 03:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
devlin06401

New member,

I am in the same situation that you are. My husband is an alcoholic and an addict. He is now in AA and is doing well. I am also dependent on him and have a 3 month old daughter. I know what it is like to have to deal with an alcoholic. Its not easy. I would love to help you in any way I can. Maybe we can help eachother get through this difficult time.

Old 01-02-2003, 07:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Welcome Meg,

You've come to a great place for support. There is so much wisdom and experience here and always someone who understands what you are going through.

I also live in a small town. Went to an Al Anon meeting tonight and there were only 4 of us there, one being my husband. Neither of the other ladies have alcoholic children...their A is their husband, but yet I still learned from them. So give the locals a chance. And chances are someone new will come into the group also.

So keep coming back. The people on here are so understanding and willing to listen. I've whined a lot and I'm sure some have wanted to take out a pistol and shoot me, but I'm still here and they still support. Thanks guys. And WELCOME to the family, Meg.

Hugs!
Old 01-02-2003, 09:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Unhappy

I'm unfamiar with how this works, exactly, as I don't do much chatting. My husband is an alcoholic. I am the mother of 5 children, ages 13, 15, 17, 19 & 21. My 21 year old is married. My 19 year old is handicapped. I would like to attend al-anon meetings locally, but my children are afraid "people will know", if I do. I am nearly at my wits end with my husband. He is controlling, domineering, mean, and when he is drinking, which is most of the time, he is 100 X worse. I just need someone who has been there to talk to about this. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Hi lyn_blossom78,

I posted a new thread for you. Just click on the link below. This is so others can find your post and respond to it.

Welcome to the forum.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...?threadid=8222