Last Night was scary

Old 01-29-2005, 07:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Last Night was scary

My ABF and I went to a Christian rock concert. One minute, he was standing straight up and the next minute, he passed out on the floor. On his face.

He totally blacked out and just went face first into the carpet and didn't come to for a minute or so. Then, he was confused and bleeding on his face.

He wasn't (or hadn't been ) drinking last night. His psychaitrist has put him on Paxil (anti-depressant) and clonepram .....a anti-anxiety drug.

He never eats. He only eats at dinner time. The meds say to eat food when you take them. All he had yesterday was a McChicken sandwich.

I think he's hypoglycemic. He doesn't have diabetes in his family and this "episode" happened all of a sudden with him sweating and that's signs of hypoglycemia.

The EMT in the ambulance came and wanted to transport him to the ER. my BF refused and signed an AMA (against medical advise). He just wanted to go home.

That could of happened behind the wheel of his car!!! Thank God people were around and I was with him.

BUT, today I go over to his house to help take care of his injuries from the fall and he's drinking at 10am!!!

He knows that I won't ever marry him as an active drunk. He does relly well and then he goes right back to the old stuff.

That scared me SO MUCH last night that I really feel I'm through with him.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dee at Mt Bully

Scary for you--sorry--sounds like he really does need medical attention. The prescriptions he is taking should be taken with food and most importantly not mixed
with alcohol. Is it possible he is not taking them as they were prescribed? Taking
more than prescribed or taking them randomly and not consistent with the Dr.s
orders can be very dangerous. Hope he gets help and listens to you. Smiles--Dee
Old 01-29-2005, 09:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Hey Girlfriend:

Been there done that. Many, many times. It's very scary. Let me share with you what I've learned. While your AB didn't appear to have been drinking to you, don't be fooled by him another minute. He is an alcoholic, so it's safe to assume that he is ALWAYS under the influence of alcohol. He can't survive a day without it. He wakes up and he's got to drink to stop his hands from shaking. He wakes up many times in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom AND sneak a drink (it's hidden in his coat pockets, or under his favorite chair, or in the garage, or under the bed, or in his briefcase). Yes, the booze is stashed all over the house. It's with him at all times. He doesn't dare go anywhere without it. Because he can't survive without it. No doubt he had some with him at the concert. No doubt he drank it when you weren't looking. How do I know this? This is what active alcoholics do. And they will continue to do so until they decide to get help. And until then, the blackouts will continue and will occur with more frequency over time and with even scarier results. And those night sweats he's been suffering from, those are related to his alcoholism, too, a sure sign that his health is beginning to take turn for the worse.

Now about the suspected hypoglycemia...Are you aware that hypoglycemia is almost always a precursor to full blown diabetes? And are you aware that diabetes is common in alcoholics because alcohol inhibits the pancreas' ability to process insulin? How do I know this? Been there, done that, too. So the signs of alcohol-induced diabetes are emerging, so you know it's in your future. But are you also aware that diabetes and alcoholism is a lethal combination? Diabetes is nearly impossible to get under control if a person continues to drink. So be prepared to spend many nights in the ER trying to bring your AB's sugar down. And be prepared to dial 911 when he chooses to drink rather than eat and his sugar falls so low that you find him unresponsive, having urinated all over himself, dripping with sweat, and close to death...from a sugar low. Yes, extreme sugar highs and lows are common in alcoholics with alcoholic-induced diabetes.

Think this is bad enough? Well, unchecked diabetes leads to sexual dysfunction. Yes, my AB hasn't made love to me in about 16 months now. Don't reckon he can anymore. But he won't discuss it with me. And now he suffers from incontinence. Can't feel when his bladder is full any longer, and needs to wear adult diapers. Heard enough yet? There's more. My AB is now experiencing pins and needles in his feet all the time...A sign of poor circulation in his feet...a common side effect of diabetes. If he can't get his sugar under control--and that's impossible due to his drinking--he's at great risk of losing a toe, a foot, a leg.

So, you have some serious thinking to do. This is the path your AB is heading down. If you tell him this, he won't believe you. Like all alcoholics, he's in complete denial, and he'll just end up getting angry with you and then using his anger as an excuse to drink again.

You can choose to stay the course and watch him decline to a point where he's no longer able to take care of himself at all, requiring you to be his nursemaid, or you can decide that this is no way to live and you deserve more. The choice is yours. I'm just sharing my story so you can make an informed decision. Whatever you decide to do, we're here for you.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Doormat..that is awful for you, but Girlfriend's BF has not been diagnosed.

My husband Ward drinks daily and has had three episodes of what they call Syncope...sort of an all around term for dropping to the floor and they don't know why. We see people in our office occasionally for just that...it is scary as all get out but it is not a sure sign of pending diabetes. Often it never happens again and is never diagnosed. Two of the times it happened to Ward he was not drinking. And he doesn't have stash bottles in his pocket.

I worked with a lady who was going through much the same as you are. Her husband lost both legs and still continues to drink. She left him and her family turned against her because they felt she should stay and care for him. Personally I thought it was the bravest thing she could do...

Girlfriend...Google the word Syncope.

Hugs,
JT
Old 01-30-2005, 10:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you SO much, Dee, JT and FDoormat!!

I cannot tell you how much your posts has educated me. Especially yours, FDoormat.

That scared me to death to read that. So much so that I copied it and sent it via email to my AB and to his sister who loves him, but has no idea what's really going on with him because he pulls it off around his family like he's okay, doesn't have any major problems, .........when all along his sister notices the most that he's got way more of a problem then he is letting on about.

There are alot of secrets in an alcoholic family. I believe that his dad has a problem because he hides a pint of vodka in the garage and drinks beers in front of the family, but then goes in the garage to get a hit of the "hard stuff". If you've got to hide it, then it's gotta be a problem. But, nobody in the family talks about that. It's always "looked over" and accepted as is.

I suggested family intervention to his sister. Then, I suggested to my AB to come clean and tell his family that he's sick and needs help. He says that he's going to and I pray to God he does and that they accept it and help support him. That the secrets will be let out. Maybe that's too much to hope for right now, but I'm still hanging on to any hope that I can get.

FDoormat, I know and can tell that you've been through hell and back, but please know that it hasn't all gone in vain. Because you just helped me more than you know and I pray that you've also scared AB and his sister enough to take a look at this problem more seriously. Thank you

JT, the EMT did refer to his passing out as a "syncope" and thank you for putting that word in there because I had forgotten what it was until now. I can now go and read about it and learn more.

Please keep us in your prayers. I've known my AB since I was 13. I'm now 44 and hadn't seen him in years until last year. I loved him back then and still do now. I used to drink and 11 yrs ago became sober and don't even desire to go back to it. I believe in sobriety and I'm gonna believe in it for him until I have no choice but to believe otherwise.