Notices

Ok, here goes

Old 01-29-2005, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HhM
I'm trying!

Unhappy Ok, here goes

I have no idea where to begin. I am 29 and, have been drinking since about 13. For the past 7 months, there has very rarely come a day when I haven't had a drink and, I still don't think I'm ready to quit but, I know that I need to for my health and my family. I have been addicted (and guess I still am because I can't say I wouldn't take them again if given the opportunity) to anything that will give me a buzz. Alcohol, pain killers, crank, diet pills.....even when none of these were available I sought out overloads of caffeine for a quick temporary fix. Now, I know that most of these are small potatoes but, without starting to help myself, these are still things that can effect my health and well being. I don't know where to begin or, what to do. Talking about this makes me want to drink so, I obviously have a problem. The one thing I never understood was, "one day at a time" but, now I think I do. And, by that it really means, every second, every minute, every hour, every day.....one day at a time....cuz if you have that addictive gene then, it NEVER goes away so, you can never forget "today I'm not going to drink". I can honestly say, I don't know how NOT to drink! Are there people on here that are still battling? Like, online you're good but, later that night, oops...I slipped and had a drink? Seems like everyone here is very nice so.....I want...I need to give it a shot. I guess this is going to happen but, I feel very stupid putting this all out here. Hopefully my posting sets up right and I'm not interrupting someone elses, I'm a first timer. Thanks for listenin' and I look forward to the support and being supportive on my good days.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
slowing it down a notch......

I struggle too...

I have have a couple days sobriety after a few hard falls. I know that I struggle everyday and I also know that this site helps me A LOT.

I can tell you to hang in there and thats about all I can say at this point because quite frankly that is all I can tell myself.

I know that "one day at a time works" and I also learned that I cannot even have ONE....ever.
I am an alcoholic, I cant drink. That is what I have to tell myself everyday.

Good luck. There are many great people here who support and care a lot.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

There are so many wonderful people here to help.

Congratulations to you HMH for knowing you needed help and seeking it. YOu can do this. As for the one day at a time, break it down even further if you have to. I have 24 days clean, and I am taking it minute by minute sometimes.

Get to a meeting. They are the best part I think, and the most helpful.

Keep it up, and keep coming back.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

HhM,
well you're not afirst timer any more. No you're not bothering any one with your post.

Most all of us in here got to be sober because someone helped us. I go to ameeting several times a week. Not because I think about drinking it's because, I want to be reminded why I don't drink. Every time, soemone new comes in the door you make us aware of how bad it ws for us. I want you to know, life has been so much better after I started going to AA. Are there any meetings in your town? I'm not sure where you live but, I'm sure there's someone close to where you are that can hook you up with a meeting. I live a normal life today. I'm not bound by the chains of alcohol. My life was almost destroyed by drinking. You might read this and think, my life isn't that bad yet. Yet stands for you're eligble too. This gets worse never better. It's slow suicide one drunk at a time

keep postin on here let us know how you are!!!

Chris
Old 01-29-2005, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
HhM
I'm trying!

Thanks!

Thank you all so much! I do have the feeling sometimes like "OH, I'm ok...I'm not ready to quit completely" Even the good 'ole New Year's resolution.....came and went. Here it is almost February. I never told anybody about quitting being my New Year's resolution. I told my husband it was because I felt like if I did, I would be disappointing people if I didn't make it. But, I really think it was so I didn't HAVE to make it.....since nobody else knew, I was just letting myself down. Make sense? On that note, I am going to spend time with my children and try not to drink! THANKS!! I am absolutely amazed at the response I've gotten already today. I think this will make it easier....I hope....NO, It will! :tongue2:
Old 01-30-2005, 03:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hhm
Try out a meeting in your local area - it's such a wonderflu support and after being terrified to go, I now LOOK forward to going! I am actually going to a meeting this evening and am looking forward to it. I'm doing good, I'm happy, I'm not anxious or afraid about ANYTHING, I feel peaceful, I have less resentment (although I need to work on that alot) and although I have a long way to go spiritually and mentally I really feel like I am definitely on the right path! And that only 30 days into it with the help of AA!! Highly Recommended!!!
Good luck!
Cathy31
x
Old 01-30-2005, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Welcome (((HhM))) to SR!! You have found a great place for support!!

We do this "one day at a time" because to think of never drinking again is too overwhelming for us! I didn't know any other way to live. But I have stuck it out and with the help of SR, AA, and my HP, I have been sober almost 6 months now. It does get better, it does get easier!!

We can not stop drinking by ourselves. We need the help of other alcoholics. We are the only ones who understand each other. Nothing here is small potatoes, addictions are very serious!!

You too can have what we have, sobriety and peace!!
Stick around and keep reading and posting. When you feel like drinking or whatever, get on here and talk to someone. Tell on yourself, honesty is a huge part of sobriety!!

Big Hugs,
Missy
Old 01-30-2005, 09:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome HhM!
You've made a great start by coming here. You will find us to be quite the supportive and understanding bunch, don't feel stupid for doing so. You need help, I need help, we all needed help here, it's a very private disease we deal with. There's nothing better in realizing your not alone. One day at a time is how I do it. Please scroll around the various forums, Alcoholism, AA, NA, Substance abuse, there's a great deal of information here. Hopefully it will give you the courage to avoid listening to that demon when he pops up on your shoulder telling you "just one" will be okay.... it's not for people like us. Glad your here!
Old 01-30-2005, 08:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
HhM
I'm trying!

Thanks! I do have a confession. I had a beer last night. I got it out of the fridge, opened it, and, as I brought it to my lips I even almost stopped.......then, I told myself I would only have one so, I drank it pretty fast. Then, guess what? I wanted another one! Believe it or not, I realized what was going on, felt disappointed in myself and stopped!! I'm not proud for the 1 drink but, I'm proud that I stopped myself from having another!! I'd say yesterday went.....ahh, not so bad. Of course NO drinks would have been better.....
Old 01-30-2005, 08:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The AA meeting, or just hanging out with some AA folks, that will help answer the questions you have about how to live without the stuff. AA doesn't so much teach us how to stop drinking as it teaches us how to start living (without the stuff).
Old 01-30-2005, 09:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
HhM
I'm trying!

So, how do you learn to be a better person when you're not drinking? I feel like I am very mean to my kids and my husband unless I have a beer or two. Then I'm more relaxed and more laid back and, they don't think I'm psycho! TO TELL THE TRUTH! I REALLY WANT A BEER RIGHT NOW!! Bed time is coming soon so, I'll just take it a minute at a time!
Old 01-31-2005, 08:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HhM
So, how do you learn to be a better person when you're not drinking?
HhM-- Getting clean and sober is only the first step. Learning to live life without alcohol and drugs happens in a program of recovery. Go to AA, they will show you the way. Recovery is about freedom and serenity. There is a better way to live.

For me, I could not "try", I had to get to a point of complete surrender where I was willing to go to any lengths to quit drugs and alcohol.

Get to some meetings. What do you have to lose?

jojo
Old 01-31-2005, 10:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

(((HhM)))

If you want real hugs, go to an AA meeting and when they ask for newcomers, raise your hand. You'll get verbal hugs for the rest of the meeting, and real hugs after.

Sure you're scared. Of course you don't know how it works. Naturally you're apprehensive. If you wanted to learn how to fly a plane or groom a dog or ride a horse, how would you do it? You'd find someone who knows and learn from him/her. You want to know how to stay sober. People at AA, male and female, young and old, rich and poor, low-bottom bums and high-bottom professionals, can help you. Some are as new to sobriety as you are. Some have been sober a long time. I've been sober over 16 years.

The first book to read is Alcoholics Anonymous, the Big Book. Read it cover to cover seven times, then start to study it. The second book to read is Living Sober, an AA book that gives lots of helpful suggestions.

Get a sponsor. An AA sponsor is someone who's farther along in the program than you are, who you can talk to on the phone or in person anytime you need to. It's an honor to be asked.

Surrender. The paradox of AA is victory through surrender by admission of powerlessness. Step One is "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable." I took that step. We all did. We were all once where you are now.

Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.