Notices

Withdrawal symptoms

Old 01-27-2005, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal symptoms

I'm still having them.

Its been 10 days and the symptoms have not gone away. In fact, they haven't even let up in the slightest.

I have these weird sensations in my arms and shoulders, like involuntary muscle contractions. I also get like a fever sensation and start to sweat.

Almost every afternoon I have to stand up and go outside for a brief walk to calm myself down because the nervousness and twitching gets too much (not to mention the shaky hands when I try to do anything involving fine muscle movements like using a utensil, etc.). Did anyone else have these symptoms? Is there anything that works to help this??

A friend told me to take Milk Thistle and I bought some last night. I'm not sure if this will help or not.

I've had mild withdrawal symptoms before when I've tried to quit, but this is the worse yet.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
anyone who ever had a dream

I'm sorry you have to go through this, anomie!!! for so long, at least. I'm not sure what you're detoxing from, but whatever the case, have you ever heard of Post-Acute Withdrawal? Google it and you'll find all kinds of info. This could explain why you're symptoms are still persisting, in lesser degrees than before (i'm assuming).

best wishes
Old 01-27-2005, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have heard that amino acids and B vitatmins are essential to recovery. I think I feel better when taking these supplements. Good Luck to you.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try the vitamins and amino acids. That helped me feel better. Also, are you drinking enough water? Eat some sweets throughout the day. The body gets used to having tons of sugar and then all of a sudden, it is a weird reaction from the switch. The body is healing itself, sometimes it does take longer but hang in there you are doing great.

Hope
Old 01-27-2005, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

By the way the Post Acute Withdrawal symptoms? Depressing and awful and I don't think this happens for many folks. Lets just forget this okay?
Old 01-27-2005, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have also heard that opening a glutatime tab and putting it under your tongue can curb a craving. Haven't tried it yet but think it is in my future....
Old 01-27-2005, 11:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've also heard about withdrawal symptoms lasting for weeks depending on how long and how much you drank. These symptoms do have an end so there will be better days ahead.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dan

Actually, post acute withdrawal syndrome is something I'm extremely grateful I informed myself about. Had I not known about it, how could I have dealt with it?
Here's one link...
http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Some may never experience it.
But many do. I have a journal filled with my experience with PAWS when I was six months removed from my last drink. Because I had prepared myself for it as best I could, I was able to navigate through it in relative peace.

Anomie, have you consulted your physician?
It wouldn't hurt.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Anomie, have you consulted your physician?
It wouldn't hurt.
I'm not keen on going to doctors...thats just a phobia of mine.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh gosh I can relate to the Dr. no go thing
Old 01-27-2005, 11:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Warren Zevon had a similar Dr. phobia and it killed him, lung cancer. I have had to do Docs because of an incident of Atrial Fibrillation. Alcohol induced, I understand. That was in April, so far, so good, but now I am on heart meds.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dan

Yeah, I can relate to the doctor phobia thing too. I was like that for a lot of years. You're not alone. But then I almost died once. That changed my outlook on withdrawal and doctors.
This link's been posted before. But please read on.
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/withd.../aa000125a.htm
Old 01-27-2005, 11:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Dan, more scary stuff. But I do appreciate it and have been to those sites myself. Husband stayed with me for two days last detox, but unfortunately....
Old 01-27-2005, 11:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link on PAWS Dan! I think I may be experiencing post acute withdrawal syndrome. How did you manage PAWS?

Hope
Old 01-27-2005, 11:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by hopealwayz
How did you manage PAWS?
Very carefully, with the help of my peers in AA, my doctor and my sponsor. And by being brutally honest with myself at every indication I might want to just say **** it, I can't stand my thoughts anymore, I might as well get loaded.
There's a lot of info available on the net, at your doctor's office, and at the library. This is one case where too much information simply isn't true.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
anyone who ever had a dream

actually

Originally Posted by mbtired
By the way the Post Acute Withdrawal symptoms? Depressing and awful and I don't think this happens for many folks. Lets just forget this okay?
yeah, tired, it does happen to a lot of people, especially opiate users. since i didn't get the drug they were detoxing from, i thought it would be good to throw that out there. so let's not "just forget this, ok?"
Old 01-27-2005, 12:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AllThatGlitters
since i didn't get the drug they were detoxing from, i thought it would be good to throw that out there. so let's not "just forget this, ok?"
I just detoxing from alcohol.