Brother back in rehab

Old 01-25-2005, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brother back in rehab

My brother goes to a rehabilitation facility today for a 45-day treatment, and from there to a half-way house in another part of the state. I pray he will find health and peace.

Keri
Old 01-25-2005, 07:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is great news. Did he do this by himself?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes. He must be feeling pretty desperate. I'm hoping he isn't trying to run from his problems (employment, financial) by running to rehab. I must hope for the best.

Keri
Old 01-26-2005, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wish My Son Would Re-Admit Himself

I am praying for your brother too. My son has a tendency to run from everything that he is facing too--employment, finances, etc. My counselor told me that I am slowly becoming an addict! Meaning I am doing nothing but focusing on my son to turn himself around. That scared me! I try to focus on other things, but then a phone call from him starts the pendulum swinging again. They say not to argue, moralize, blame, scold, preach to the addict. Well how do you tell them they need help? I think ignoring their behavior just encourages more of it, even though they know its wrong. Can I ask how old your brother is? I, as a mother, have the biggest fear that my son will still be lost when I am in my 70s-80s! If he lives that long.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flower Girl
Well how do you tell them they need help?
Flowergirl, I'm afraid that you can say that all you like, but it won't make any difference if THEY don't think they need help. I am not a mother, so I have no idea what it's like having a child with these problems. I can only speak from the experience of a partner who is an alcoholic.

(((hugs))) to you all.

Love

Minnie
xxx
Old 01-26-2005, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Osakis, I can relate as I feel like a large reason mine went to rehab was to hide from other responsibilities. My opinon is that if he is, than he is...of he is truly doing it and doing it all, than more power to him, but I have to not let myself worry constantly about what he isnt doing. Thats hard for me because I am a control freak, but his problems should not be mine.
Love
Old 01-26-2005, 08:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Flower girl, my brother is nearly 50; my mother is 78. I think we are fortunate in that my brother does recognize he has a very serious problem and wants help. My anxiety is that he wants someone else to solve it for him. I hope this treatment shows him that he has to take control of his own life.