Notices

Basic Information About Aa And Na

Old 01-24-2005, 03:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Basic Information About Aa And Na

BASIC INFORMATION ABOUT AA AND NA

HOW DO I FIND AN AA OR NA MEETING TO ATTEND?

1. Use the telephone directory. Both Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous list local numbers in the white pages of the local telephone directory. Also, NA has a toll-free number, 1-800-922-6587. When you call AA or NA, you will either be answered by a 12 Step volunteer who will talk with you and give you the information you need, or hear a recording that gives day, times and locations of area meetings plus the first name and telephone numbers of members you may call for more information.

WHAT CAN I EXPECT WHEN I ATTEND? WHAT IS A MEETING LIKE?

1. Fellowship. When it's done right, you will come to care about the members of your group, and they about you. Relationships are an important part of wellness and life satisfaction. Through this fellowship, you will experience acceptance. You will be valued, not blamed. When you begin to try rationalizing a way to use again, someone will recognize what you're doing and care enough about you to warn you and try to stop you. You will learn a great deal about recovery from both the advice and the mistakes of the members of your home group.

2. Hope. By hearing the stories at the meetings and looking at the lives of other members who are recovering, you will come to recognize and believe that recovery is genuinely possible. You will gain hope and energy that will assist your recovery.

3. A standard meeting format based on the 12 Steps and the 12 Traditions. The meeting lasts for about an hour. It opens with the Serenity Prayer. Each member of the group introduces himself or herself (example: "I'm John and I'm an an alcoholic"). A speaker shares his/her recovery story if it is a speaker meeting, or if it is a discussion meeting, there will be a discussion. The meeting closes with the Lord's Prayer. Afterwards there is a fellowship time with tea, coffee and conversation, plus an opportunity to look at, maybe purchase, available literature. There is no charge to attend AA or NA meetings --a basket will be passed, and most people will put in a dollar, but it's fine to not put in anything if you don't have it to spare.

WHAT IS A SPONSOR? WHEN AND HOW DO I GET ONE?

A sponsor is a member of the AA or NA group, someone who has good recovery and is a teacher, advisor and guide for another member who is trying to recover. As in most life situations, you get out of AA/NA what you put into it. Ideally a member should become willing to do "whatever it takes" to gain recovery and tries to "work the program" instead of just being a detached observer at meetings. Having a sponsor is an essential part of "working your program". Your sponsor should be the same gender as you --men sponsor men and women sponsor women. Get yourself a sponsor soon. You find a sponsor by listening to the speakers and finding someone whose recovery you admire and want your recovery to be like his/hers. Ask that person to be your sponsor. Do not be discouraged if s/he cannot. In that case, or if it's taking you a while to locate a sponsor, ask at the end of a meeting for someone to be your temporary sponsor.

THE 12 STEPS

(the basis of the Anonymous Self-Help/Support Groups --AA, NA, CA, etc.)

1. Admit that we are powerless over our substance of choice --that our lives have become unmanageable.

2. Come to believe that a Power greater than ourselves can restore us to sanity.

3. Make a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understand Him.

4. Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admit to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. Become entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly ask Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Make a list of all persons we had harmed, and become willing to make amends to them all.

9. Make direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continue to take personal inventory, and when we are wrong, promptly admit it.

11. Seek through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understand Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, try to carry this message to other addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not directed at TimetoSurrender but in step one we are not substance specific in NA, we are a one-stop shop. We deal with the disease of addiction. We don't deal with the diease of ****insert substance here****, it's all encompassing. Many addicts believe the diease of addiction was apprent in our lives long before we ever picked up that first drug--- Who's an Addict in the basic text.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Moontime
Well, we are not substance specific in NA, we are a one-stop shop. We deal with the disease of addiction. We don't deal with the diease of ****insert substance here****,
( the basis of the Anonymous Self-Help/ Support groups-- AA,NA,CA,etc)
This was written for newcomers.This is not a specific format for AA,NA,CA,MA,GA, or any of the roughly 200 other 12 step programs available today. The steps were copied in a version for anyone new.Whether it's alcohol,food,drugs,sex,gambling,etc.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And again, if you suffer from drugs, alcohol, sex, gambling,food, work, weight-lifting, beanie babies collecting, etc.....you can get all your needs filled at NA. We deal with the disease of addiction which can manifest itself in all the above. You don't have to go to 200 12-step programs.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I started this thread for newcomers who dont understand how 12 step programs work.If you really wanna ruin this thread with a debate bring it on.I go to NA and AA.However NA isnt always available in some of the smaller towns.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

Peace.
Above all...
The NA program is not substance specific, this much is self evident, once investigated.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Tobi

I think a lot of the confusion comes from peoples understanding of the defination of narcotic.
Narcotic...
noun: drug that produces numbness or stupor; often taken for pleasure or to reduce pain; extensive use can lead to addiction
adjective: inducing stupor or narcosis
Example: "Narcotic drugs"
adjective: of or relating to or designating narcotics
Example: "Narcotic addicts"
adjective: inducing mental lethargy
Example: "A narcotic speech"

I thank you Michael for this explanation of all that can be expected from joining the fellowship of AA and or NA.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

mike,

hey buddy good idea posting that :0

chris
Old 01-24-2005, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Btw,

i live in a small town USA as well. i did go to NA meetings when i started. They no longer have a program going My AA home groups welcome everyone Thank goodness. Seems there's a lot of dual addictions going on
Old 01-24-2005, 08:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yes, thanks Mike for posting that. This was geared to newcomers, so a newcomer should also know that because a fellowship is named NA, it is not a substance specific.
Captain- I don't understand dual addictions? What does that mean? Are there two addictions? A newcomer might want to know about that as well.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah Moon it wasnt really geared toward any particular fellowship.Myself,I do AA and NA. But,I know a lotta people who stick to just one.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Chy

Dual addictions are when you have addictive behaviors towards more than one thing. ie: drinking and gambling, drugs and overeating, etc.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As an NA member I am particularly grateful for both the fellowships and the wonderful friends I have made who might have been dead if not for the solutions each fellowship has offered them.

As I have come ti understand it Addiction is an overall condition that affects mind, body, emotions, and spirit.

The compelling overwhelming inability to control the use of any substance or behaviour can be a manifestation of addiction.

Most of the long term sober alcoholics I enjoy the friendship of call this the "ism" and have taught me many things I might not have learned if I didn't stay openminded.

Thanks Mike for offering something to the newcomer.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Chy

Let me clarify my above statement. I've heard it two ways. Addiction is addiction and some categorize addictions and call it dual addictions whereas what I think what was meant is dual diagnosis which refers to someone who suffers from mental health issues as well as addiction ( I think the later is what was meant). For example Bi-polor/addict, called dual diagnosis or in some areas referred to as dually addicted.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

HMMMMM
While I agree with much that has already been posted, much jumps off these pages as misinformation to me. However, I am grateful we have options today for this dialogue on Recovery Community Businesses like Sober Recovery. The internet provides lots of great tools and has really increased our options in the information AGE. I also see its propensity towards the proliferation of misinformation as well. I would suggest anyone really interested in Basic Information about either AA or NA to go to those specifically unique, autonomous organizations instead of taking one members view or opinion as truth.

Some of my experience -
I've seen MICA (Mentally Ill Chemically Addicted) groups that have been formed in many communities as well. Dual Diagnosis Recovery is also available some places from what I have found. DDA Dual Diagnosis Anonymous is another. They are all outside the guise of Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, etc... and not even necessarily 12 Step Societies/Organizations.

I, for one, am grateful for & stand up for the spiritual principle of autonomy in each particular 12 Step organization. Those organizations not choosing to be 12 Step oriented should also be afforded that spiritual principle. Each being a spiritual entity unto themselves has distinctly different basic texts, programs, traditions, structures, etc...

A couple of the above postings lead me to believe there is a movement afoot to create a Generic Recovery Anonymous organization possibly. It's not just from their posts, but from some years of experience in honest communications with members of various other organizations other than the one I choose to belong to. Not interested in getting into the financial motives that may, or may not be involved in this genericized process, but it has become visible as a possibility to more than just me.

Wearing too many hats often results in blurring the lines. It also appears to create a one size fits all Generic 12 Step Church of sorts. It's my understanding that neither AA nor NA wants this too happen. However, many individuals find favor in watering down the original principles if it suits their own agenda or purposes. It may gain membership numbers in their particular brand of recovery but I caution you to look at the principles involved instead of at increasing only greater numbers in membership.

Those standing up for the actual principles involved often get get demonized when light is shed on the actual principle involved. Quality rather than quantity, has to due with much more than just TIME sober and/or clean&sober from my perspective. The spires of spiritual principles are the yardstick not my TIME, I was told when I entered the rooms and opened the literature. When attempts are made to merge the two online or face to face, it quickly becomes a visible that a recruitment mechanizm is being put into place.

This happens, quite possibly, at the expense of the original principles involved & those honestly seeking help in the autonomous organizations. Newcomers honestly seeking help deserve the preservation of spiritual principles such as unity, mutual respect, simple membership requirement, autonomy, singleness of purpose and so on. Each "ought" to be offered this when they arrive eitehr face to face or online.

Just one members eye view.

(((((((((SR A-Z #'s included)))))))))))
Kiss Heart of Spirit In Love & Service
3 Legacy
Old 01-24-2005, 11:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 3legacy
HMMMMM
While I agree with much that has already been posted, much jumps off these pages as misinformation to me.

I was once told Information is only as good as the source you get it from. I try and collect as much information as I can from reliable sources. The literature of the fellowships is one such reliable source. Humans are prone to imperfection. Each member has the ability to interpret information as it benefits his own experience and unfortunatly his own agenda, apparent or not.

However, I am grateful we have options today for this dialogue on Recovery Community Businesses like Sober Recovery.
Care to clarify? I'm not sure if I understand your reference to Recovery Community Businesses. I might be overanalyzing your use of the terms but sounds to me like you are implying this board that you feel so free to express your disdain for is a for profit venture. Theres some dialogue we may need to get into more.

The internet provides lots of great tools and has really increased our options in the information AGE. I also see its propensity towards the proliferation of misinformation as well. I would suggest anyone really interested in Basic Information about either AA or NA to go to those specifically unique, autonomous organizations instead of taking one members view or opinion as truth.
Absolutely .. Go to meetings, get involved in service, and read the literature and the historical records that document how the programs came to be what they are today.

Some of my experience -
I've seen MICA (Mentally Ill Chemically Addicted) groups that have been formed in many communities as well. Dual Diagnosis Recovery is also available some places from what I have found. DDA Dual Diagnosis Anonymous is another. They are all outside the guise of Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, etc... and not even necessarily 12 Step Societies/Organizations.

I, for one, am grateful for & stand up for the spiritual principle of autonomy in each particular 12 Step organization. Those organizations not choosing to be 12 Step oriented should also be afforded that spiritual principle. Each being a spiritual entity unto themselves has distinctly different basic texts, programs, traditions, structures, etc...
well stated my friend

A couple of the above postings lead me to believe there is a movement afoot to create a Generic Recovery Anonymous organization possibly.
I'll keep an eye out for the black helicopters on this coast and make sure I dig out my old cracker jacks decoder ring.

It's not just from their posts, but from some years of experience in honest communications with members of various other organizations other than the one I choose to belong to. Not interested in getting into the financial motives that may, or may not be involved in this genericized process, but it has become visible as a possibility to more than just me.

Wearing too many hats often results in blurring the lines. It also appears to create a one size fits all Generic 12 Step Church of sorts. It's my understanding that neither AA nor NA wants this too happen.
my understanding as well. seems many members are perfectly happy with their fellowship of choice and many are still struggling to make do with the meetings that are avaialble to them.

However, many individuals find favor in watering down the original principles if it suits their own agenda or purposes.
The same could be said of those that use the traditions to firmly reinforce the idea that anyone who doesn't identify themselves properly or use fellowship specific terminology or exact quotes is doomed to undermine the whole foundation of their program of choice.

It may gain membership numbers in their particular brand of recovery but I caution you to look at the principles involved instead of at increasing only greater numbers in membership.

Those standing up for the actual principles involved often get get demonized when light is shed on the actual principle involved. Quality rather than quantity, has to due with much more than just TIME sober and/or clean&sober from my perspective. The spires of spiritual principles are the yardstick not my TIME, I was told when I entered the rooms and opened the literature. When attempts are made to merge the two online or face to face, it quickly becomes a visible that a recruitment mechanizm is being put into place.
While I agree with you that standing on principle does not necessarily equal popularity and the valuable experience of senior members and those who quote well the literature and have studied the priciples is often misinterpreted as hardass ridgid inflexibility, I don't agree with the conspiratorial recruitment mechanism theory. From my perspective the phenomenon you are witness to is much simpler to explain. It is the process of coming to believe. The process of making the personalized decision as to what to take and what to leave while coming to terms with finally being able to make our own choices and no longer have the drugs and booze make them for us.

This happens, quite possibly, at the expense of the original principles involved & those honestly seeking help in the autonomous organizations. Newcomers honestly seeking help deserve the preservation of spiritual principles such as unity, mutual respect, simple membership requirement, autonomy, singleness of purpose and so on. Each "ought" to be offered this when they arrive eitehr face to face or online.

Just one members eye view.
I'm almost certain I agree with this last bit except for the preservation of single membership requirement. If you mean by that to suggest that there needs to be a mechanism in place to maintain that thiose seeking recovery must make a one or the other choice as to which fellowship they attend, I'm not only stunned by the exclusiveness of that suggestion, but more than mildly entertained at the visual imagery of you or I in uniform, using a retina scanning device at the door to verify the identity of members as they enter a meeting. "What no hug til I let you make sure I'm not a cross dresser ?( or in this case a cross recoverer)"

Thank the maker that we have such a diverified collective of experince assembled here. I'm glad I was able to fnd a place in my heart that affords me the comfort to extend a "generic" invitation to all seeking recovery to keep coming back until they find theirs.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Dan

All I can say is that I'm immensely grateful for the phenomenon known as balance.
As illustrated above.
It only enforces my deep belief that the universe will always see to it that every black hole, where the absolute void resides, will be evened out, so to speak, with a shining star, and the promise of new life.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
All I can say is that I'm immensely grateful for the phenomenon known as balance.
As illustrated above.
It only enforces my deep belief that the universe will always see to it that every black hole, where the absolute void resides, will be evened out, so to speak, with a shining star, and the promise of new life.
Amen Brother.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Gooch:

Care to clarify? I'm not sure if I understand your reference to Recovery Community Businesses. I might be overanalyzing your use of the terms but sounds to me like you are implying this board that you feel so free to express your disdain for is a for profit venture. Theres some dialogue we may need to get into more.
Surely, and sorry no disdain intended to the Business, its operation, its owner Jon in particular, nor his employees or otherwise trusted servants was meant. Just a little light shed on what is often an area of shadows when principles are being discussed and some are more easily censored than others.

I'll keep an eye out for the black helicopters on this coast and make sure I dig out my old cracker jacks decoder ring.
It's hard to see the spinning of blades when you position yourself inside the helicopter. LOL

The same could be said of those that use the traditions to firmly reinforce the idea that anyone who doesn't identify themselves properly or use fellowship specific terminology or exact quotes is doomed to undermine the whole foundation of their program of choice.
Grateful I look below the surface and try to use a more balanced approach myself. I'm not using Traditions as a weapon, like some who use Tradition 3 often do against me. I like Dan's idea of a balanced approach to their use. Black and white statements, as you appear to be using here in a defensive mode, are often quite telling for those utilizing simple skills of discernment.

I'm almost certain I agree with this last bit except for the preservation of single membership requirement. If you mean by that to suggest that there needs to be a mechanism in place to maintain that thiose seeking recovery must make a one or the other choice as to which fellowship they attend, I'm not only stunned by the exclusiveness of that suggestion, but more than mildly entertained at the visual imagery of you or I in uniform, using a retina scanning device at the door to verify the identity of members as they enter a meeting. "What no hug til I let you make sure I'm not a cross dresser ?( or in this case a cross recoverer)"
Sounds like someone may be calling me a NAZI to demonize me or something else to cloud the issue. Had that done before by folks trying to cloud the issue and demonize the messenger with slight of hand. I don't think that is your intention though & the passage I posted mentioned membership requirement as SIMPLE, not as single. Singleness of purpose was another principle mentioned there though. It is obviously not a principle you share my interest in preserving. Thanks for the twists, shouts and even dance of aggreement in in between though. Posturing for power, property and prestige is obviously not part of my agenda. I just call it as I see it and seek discernment from He who presides over US all.

We can agree to disagree on many things and I love the freedom AA, NA, and even SR provides in affording us such a wonderful God given liberty.

((((((((((Gooch))))))))))
Love you cousin. Balance could very well mean a full perspective being offered. Thanks for offering yours, and thanks for extending me an invitation and opportunity for Minority Opinion as well. That is another principled ideal I stand up for quite often even when under fire and attack from Black Helicopters.

Censoring an individual, or forming a possee to help do so is inappropriate. It has never been my forte. It may work for some, but I gave that up long ago.

A balanced hug for all
(((((((((Gooch & SR A-Z #'s included, "generic" or not)))))))))))

3 Legacy
Old 01-25-2005, 10:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Dan

I'm forever grateful for the people, just as sick as I am, who can speak to me in small letters, without casting a shadow over my desires and hopes.
And while I don't doubt for one second that singleness of purpose in each of the fellowships I attend and serve is a must, I also believe that it should never become a barrier between us.

That SoberRecovery is all inclusive is truly the mortar that holds the place together.
And as members of this online community, it is our responsibility, I feel, to ensure it's continuity by remembering the only requirements for membership here.
To offer help, or get help.