Notices

question about fatigue

Old 01-17-2005, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question about fatigue

I feel exhausted and fatigued throughout the day even when I get 8 hours of sleep. I know depression causes fatigue as does some other things. I was wondering what I could do to help combat this fatigue? I just started my exercise program so that should kick in soon. What vitamins should I take to feel better?

Thanks for imput,

Hope
Old 01-17-2005, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Hope! Looks like you have a couple of months of sobriety under your belt, so that's probably not it. When I got sober, I was tired all the time and missing those extra calories!

So, you need to look at: How's your diet? How are your sleep patterns? How are your stress levels? How much exercise and what intensity?

All those contribute. For me, my sleep patterns stink, due to some nerve crap I have going on from sleeping w/my elbows bent.

Diet has a LOT to do with things, vitamins, I hate to say, will not contribute to energy per se, but may help your body utilize fuels better. We only get energy from carbs, protein, fat, and formerly alcohol. Stress levels will cause fatigue, but exercise may help that. Remember, exercise is still a form of stress, so we need rest as the other side of the exercise formula (exercise = work + rest). And also remember that it takes a while (8-12 weeks) for our bodies to glean energy from exercise (adaptation).

Hope that all made sense, hurrying to get to an appt.

Keep stayin' healthy!

Ken
Old 01-17-2005, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

eat egg whites after your workout..

hi..after you exercise in about 3-4 boiled egg whites ..within 10 minutes after you finish..in a day or so you will see a diff...you need to up your protein...v
Old 01-17-2005, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Hope ..Just wanted to come in here ..I don't know the answer to this one ..but I do feel exactly the same as you at the moment and would also be very grateful for any suggestions. I'm now 77 days sober and am finding it very hard to get My life going again. I have just about enough energy to get to 5 or 6 AA meetings a week but. At the moment My morning prayer is "For God's will to be revealed to Me ..AND for the STRENGTH! to carry it out!" ...I've really be emphasising the STRENGTH part because I just don't have any at the moment. I have also had to ask My Higher Power to get Me out of bed after sleeping for 4 hours during the day even after a good nights sleep. All ideas welcome! thanks for this thread Hope.

Gratefully
Joe
Old 01-17-2005, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It took me well over a year in recovery to stop feeling exhausted all the time. I think that if you are tired then maybe you just need to rest and try not to give yourself a hard time about it. The exercise will help too.

I also think that a trip to the Dr.s to rule out any physical explanations can do no harm.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think one of the reasons for so many of us feeling fatigue, is a feeling of low self-esteem and lack of acomplishment outside our recovery.

You might try what I do each day and that is to make a short list (no more than 5 things) of things you want to accomplish each day. Keep this list with you, like on the back of a business card.

Now, here is the critical part. Each time you complete a task, actually go the list and cross off that item. You will immediately feel a sense of accomplishment.

Start off with small to do's. Like cleaning a room, writing a letter to a friend, paying your bills and other normal daily activities.

It has done wonders for me, and hopefully it will help through the process.

Don't knock it till you try it!
Old 01-17-2005, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jerry, I'm going to try that suggestion starting tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works.

Hope