Notices

Ghost In The Closet...

Old 01-17-2005, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Ghost In The Closet...

No, this isn't going to be about creepy stuff...though I *love* a good scare. It's the title of this book that I've read a couple of times, and I could relate a lot to what the author was writting--a recovering alcoholic himself.
One thing that he wrote was that the best way to describe an alcoholic is an egotist with an inferiority complex. It really made me take a hard look at myself--I never considered traits like conceited, self-ish, self-centered a part of my persona but I was. I swear what a combination to have these very insecure feelings covered up by alcohol abuse to protect the frail shell that became (and perhaps always was) me.
I just find it hard to believe that someone with such self-centeredness could find it within themselves to resort to drinking Listerene on Sundays because they don't sell alcohol before 12:00. Ha ha. The physical withdrawal symptoms were enough to make me want to claw my eyes out...yet I always came back for more.
I believe that my HP is a good, kind and loving God who didn't intend Listerene for consumption...I surrender my will to thy will. You and I have become re-aquainted through this process. I just wish there was an easier (and less disgusting) way. But, it's me...it's my life...and it's something that will always be a part of me.
This is a good book, BTW.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fantastic post and i am sure you are correct about God and the Listerene.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
one of many

Well this disease can take us to some pretty insane places. I recall drinking bottles of Robotussin because I had nothing better to numb myself with. Oh well, just reminds what I can look forward to if I stop going to meetings.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Honey...

" the best way to describe an alcoholic is an egotist with an inferiority complex."

I like that, I too have looked at some of my pathetic behavior while in the throes of my addiction to alcohol, like waking up once in the morning realizing I was going to have to go to the store to get more booze, but being physically unable to accomplish the task, they would have had me commited being in the lousy shape I was, so i drank the vanilla extract to take the edge off... I wonder where the ego is there, but it was selfish of me to be so wrapped up in myself and my addiction, caring little about anything else...

I don't ever have to go back to that insanity again!!!!

The insanity is in taking that the first drink
Old 01-17-2005, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wonderful post. I'm going to check that book out.

Great to hear you are doing so well. I believe sometimes we need that reminder of where our addiction took us. Oh I shudder remembering selling all of my Greatgrandmother's antique jewelry at a pawn shop and getting a mere ten dollars. No matter even if you sold a carat diamond ring they'd give you ten or twenty. They knew you would just take it you were so desperate.

Praise our loving, and mercifull Higher Power that we are past all that. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

You should nodope...it really put a lot of things in perspective for me. I mean, there's a TON of literature out there on this subject and I'm getting around to building my collection.

Yep these images serve as a reminder of the insanity of it all. Whenever a get an "urge" now I litterally ask God to save me from myself and to please help. Works for me now. And for that I'm very, very grateful.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((((((((Danielle)))))))))
It was a real bummer when correctional facilities realized Listerine had alcohol in it and ruined a business I had going behind the walls. LOL

Kiss Heart of Spirit,
3 Legacy
Old 01-18-2005, 09:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cool post.I saw a guy one time that had drank a bottle of rubbing alcohol.We get to a point where we will do anything for another drink or another high.When we get to the point where we will put the same effort in our recovery,then the miracles start to happen."Willing to go to any lengths"
Old 01-18-2005, 10:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

What a great post,
PROOF of what lengths we will go to in order to deaden the pain. Thanks it's a reminder to us all what happens when we take that first drink.
Thank you
indigo
Old 01-18-2005, 10:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Chy

Thanks for sharing! Listerine for breakfast? Wow, I learn something knew everyday to make me grateful.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I never did listerene. I do recall trying pam in a bag. Once is too many times with that crap. Thought I was going to die. Glad to be sane today