Vanity post: Courtney and her boyfriend

Old 01-17-2005, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vanity post: Courtney and her boyfriend

Ok, normally I would not just blurt this story out in public, but this is the perfect place for me to do so.
I have been dating a recovering alcoholic who is 11 months sober. We spend our weekends hanging out and generally talking and seeing other friends and it's all very normal. EXCEPT for my past - dealing with an alcoholic/addict mom, and his past - 16 years of addiction.
I have recently started attending Al-Anon meetings at his urging, and I work with a private counselor, too. My heart and head can't handle all the stress I put on them. The past couple of months have been miserable for both of us because we were both trying to deal with my depression. Things are starting to slowly unravel and I am starting to see how to get myself of the funk that I am in. I don't quite see the light, but I know it is there.
The problem now is that I have about that ][ much faith that our relationship will work out. My fear of losing him is second to my fear of holding on to a sick relationship that can never really work because of my ACOA status. When we argue I say things I have always said, when he is upset I find myself trying to protect him from himself. I am consicously trying to rip these old habits away, but they're still present.

Has anyone here *successfully* lived through the recovery process with their alcoholic and/or addict S.O.?? What did you go through? How long did it take before you saw changes in the way you related to one another? What resources have you found to help you on your journey? How did you strike the balance between self-care and loving someone else?

And on a semi-related note, I found a cool article about introverted narcissists. It certainly described me to a T, so maybe you will be interested in it, too. It'd probably apply to anyone who has ever had to live with or love a person who "acts out" all the time.
http://www.healthyplace.com/communit...ism/faq66.html
Old 01-17-2005, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by swissmiss75
Has anyone here *successfully* lived through the recovery process with their alcoholic and/or addict S.O.?? What did you go through? How long did it take before you saw changes in the way you related to one another? What resources have you found to help you on your journey? How did you strike the balance between self-care and loving someone else?
My wife and I are both ACOAs, and we met in recovery. We had each been recovering for a couple of years and became friends after seeing each other around the rooms. Soon we realized that we were dating and that this had been a natural progression built on our friendship. For me, it was the first relationship I hadn't manipulated my way into... We've been together for nearly nine years and married two-and-a-half.

Recovery works, but it takes time and effort. Al-Anon, to me, is all about relationships: the relationship with myself, my Higher Power and the other six billion people on this planet (and the animals, insects, plants, etc.).

My relationship with my wife isn't always easy, but it's always honest and it's built on two things that were noticibly absent from my previous intimate relationships: love and trust. Each of us apply the Steps to our personal growth, and together we apply the Traditions to our relationship. In our home, that's how it works.

For me, the "how-to's" of a successful relationship boil down to three words:

Meetings
Meetings
Meetings

As it says in the Al-Anon Adult Child literature, my problems may have my parents' names on them, but all my answers have my name on them. I find those answers in my 12-Step fellowship.