Notices

Anger and resentment towards friends

Old 01-14-2005, 11:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Party'sOver

Anger and resentment towards friends

So now that I'm cleaning up after years of addiction to whatever was available (mostly coke, crack and benzos), I'm left with feelings of anger and resentment toward my friends. I got out of rehab 2 1/2 mos ago and have slipped only a few times. I'm going to meetings, therapy and a attending a relapse prevention program. I feel like a new person. I just wish I could let go of these negative feelings. My friends and family intervened to save my life and now I watch them continue the party without me. My friends drink every night and get absolutely trashed at least 3-4 nights a week. They had no problem judging my life and my addictions and continue to be critical of everything I do. "Where were you last night?" "Why didn't you answer the phone when I called?" "Have you been going to meetings?" "Did you party last night?" It goes on and on. I just want to scream at them to leave me alone and analyze their own messy lives. I feel like I took one for the team. It seems that everybody is worried about me and consumed with my recovery just to divert attention from their own problems. I admit taking the party to a whole new level and that my life was out of control, but I just can't take the constant interrogation. OK, I vented, feels better. I just had to get that out. :tongue3:
Old 01-15-2005, 12:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

You can look at it this way as well....
You are in a prime spot in life to show them just how good life can be clean and sober. By the example you show them, they may also seek the better way.

Keep up the good ways and take care of your own recovery.
They will need find their own path. Your example just may be their guide.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Ahhhh R They Your Friends Or Some People U Used To Hang With?? Real Friend Ship Calls For Under Standing. Can You Make New Friends At The Meetings? The People I Partyed With Our My Past. We Don't Live In The Past Anymore. If, They'r Usin And Drinking They're Poison To U My Friend
Old 01-15-2005, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ugh, I totally feel where you're coming from. Sometimes its hard to watch the party continue without you. But its a whole lot easier when you wake up sober and alert, drive by the party, peek in, and see the aftermath that you no longer have to deal with :-P.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

you know i,m the same way.My friends are all partying and not me too.I jest have to think the way i got when i was high and in most cases out of control and it helps me so far.I,M going on three weeks so my advise may not be to good but i think in time your friends well be asking you to help them to go clean to.good luck and another 24hrs.......
Old 01-15-2005, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Great shares so far. I have nothing to add. I just want to say that, after 16+ years sobriety, I have no desire to be anywhere near anyone who parties like I used to. Some of what they're doing is caused by jealousy. They wish they had your courage. Keep it up.