From Courage to Change

Old 07-21-2002, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

From Courage to Change

As I was sitting here this morning, reading my books. I turned to todays date, July 21 in Courage to Change, One Day at a Time in Al-Anon II. I wanted to share todays reading with you since it really does apply to many people lately.

"The people that I love won't take care of themselves, so I have to do it. How will they survive unless I.....?" This was my thinking when I came to Al-Anon, my excuse for interfering in everyone's business. My needs seemed so unimportant compared to the constant crises all around me. Al-Anon told me that I had other options, one of which was to let go and let God.

When I think of letting go I remind myself that there is a natural order to life - a chain of events that a Higher Power has in mind. When I let go of a situation, I allow my life to unfold according to that plan. I open my mind and let other ways of thinking or behaving enter in. When I let go of another person, I am affirming their right to live with their own life, to make their own choices, and to grow as they experience the results of their actions. A Higher Power exists for others, as well. My obsessive interference disrupts not only my connection with them but also my connection with my own spiritual self.

Today's Reminder

I am my top priorty. By keeping the focus on myself, I let go of other people's problems and can better cope with my own. What can I do for myself today?

"I will remind myself....that I am powerless over anyone else, that I can live no life but my own. Changing myself for the better is the only way I can find peace and serenity."

The Dilemma of the Alcoholic Marriage
Old 07-21-2002, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Wow - Barbiedeb

Thank you for posting this. This lesson has taken me years to really learn. Why DOES it take that long? Why do I have to keep doing the same thing over and over when I know better? Why does the "How will he survive..." constantly haunt me.

This posting, in its clarity, makes it all sound so simple. The 12 steps all sound so simple. And I guess they are simple, as in uncomplicated, but none of this is EASY simple.

I have found, over the years in my recovery, that I need to practice this stuff every single day...as Step 12 says, we need to practice these principles in ALL our affairs.

Posts like these remind me not to become complacent in my step work. Sharing and fellowship are wonderful tools, but the bricks and mortar are found in these 12 steps.

Thank you so much!!!!!
Old 07-21-2002, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

I really needed to hear that today,
and I love this book. I loaned mine out
and never got it back, and it is definite-
ly time for another one.
Thank you,

Hugs,