Notices

I need help

Old 01-05-2005, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help

Hi. I'm not entirely sure how this works. My husband is a herion addict. He has been for 10+ years. We've been married for one year on 11/26. He was in jail for our anniversary. He still is. I have done everything in my power to help him become and stay clean. Hell...I even took him on national tv to talk about his addiction to have them pick up the tab for rehab. He'd already been to a couple before not to mention half a dozen detox programs. He's clean now...only because he's in jail. He may get out soon....and I'm afaraid he's going to have a bad day sooner or later and I'm going to have to start competing with his "other wife" again. How do I help him to stay clean? How can I help him divorce her? I will never leave my husband or give up on the fact that there's a strong even more beautiful man inside dying to be free... I just need to understand what it's like for him to go up against her....and what I can do to help him be on the straight path. I am totally ignorant when it comes to drugs. I've never so much as popped too many asprin. We make an odd pair in that aspect of life. But love is a stong thing...and my faith in him is even stronger. I just need some help. Thank you.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kccav,

Welcome! I think you can offer your husband support, but beyond that there is little you can do. He must make a decision himself to stop using drugs. If you like you might also check out the NarAnon forum on this board which is for families and friends of addicts. I think you'll find lots of people there in similar situations to yours.

Anna
Old 01-05-2005, 06:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, you have found great friends with loving support, experience, strength and hope to share. Make yourself at home, keep coming back.
I think you will find the power posts at the top of the forums very informational.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you I really appreciate it...sincerely
Old 01-05-2005, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome to SR!
Well, as you've mentioned you have tried just about everything, and nothing seems to work right? Well that's because he truly has to be ready and willing to do this for himself, no matter how much he pleads he want's it, something inside him is not willing to fully commit. Your hands are tied unfortunatly. However, you can find a great deal of support in NARANON, check out our Naranon and Friends and Family forum here for more support.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for understanding. I have come to terms with the fact he needs to actually want to quit...not just say it. I just find it so hard to fully accept that I can do nothing. I'm trying...and I know once he decides, he can do anything. No one would ever talk to me about it. They would say there's no hope for him. There's always hope. I believe in him. I love him. Where I'm from it's borderline forbiden to speak of the addiction. It's nice to be able to express my concerns and thoughts and know there's someone out there who understands and is willing to talk to me about it. So, thanks again..