Notices

Divided road

Old 01-04-2005, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Vox def Priistas

Divided road

Hello.
It's pretty difficult for me to write this, and to finally admit to myself that if I don't do something pretty quickly, I'll have nothing in a few years. For the past three years I've drank nearly every day, and usually enough to forget when I went to sleep and what responsibilities I needed to take care of.
On top of the drinking, I was an extremely heavy weed smoker, and I've done a dangerous amount of dabbling in cocaine and other drugs. Now, here I am, without money or prospects, teetering on the edge of total failure. I need to get sober. I'm tired of waking up and drinking shots.
I haven't touched a drug since January 2, and I plan not to in the foreseeable future. I need to get through college and come up with some sort of plan instead of 'forgetting'. Thanks alot to everyone that supports what I'm doing, because a lot of the people I know do not.

-dja
Old 01-04-2005, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi dja.
Welvome to SoberRecovery.
I'm an addict, among other things. Call me Dan.
I stopped counting the times I passed out from drinking long before I stopped drinking. I just didn't give a damn. Family, kids, jobs. All were secondary to getting juiced.
Drinking was the first thing I did in the morning and the last thing I did at night.
It's no life, is it...
Over the years, I've tried just about every substance. I got hooked, at various times, on weed, cocaine, morphine, and lastly, alcohol. I stopped cocaine cold, in '90, and started with a six pack here and there. Years later, bottles of vodka. Daily.
That's bottles.

When I finally hit the wall, I still had enough mental ability, by some miracle, to admit to myself that I needed a support group of some kind. The wind pushed me to an AA meeting one night. That's where recovery started for me. I also depend a lot on Narcotics Anonymous, and the understanding I gained with the other addicts there about obsession and compulsion.
Left to my own devices, I seriously doubt I'd be looking at ten months sober in a few days.
My life's not a bowl of cherries yet.
Might never be
But at least, I don't have to live with the taste of my own vomit in my mouth everyday like I used to. And more importantly, I'm reclaiming my life from an impossible situation, that my insidious disease called addiction made me blind to for way too many years.

You came here for support you say?
You hit the motherlode.
Glad you're here.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Like Dan says

glad you're here

chris
Old 01-04-2005, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes Dan said it all. WELCOME.
indigo
Old 01-04-2005, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Hey there...it says that you're from Ann Arbor and you're a student. Do you attend U of M? I went to MSU my first two years (RIVAL!) JK! Glad that you're here...I'm Danielle, 27 and I'm recovering from alcoholism. Like it's been said before, this place offers awesome support and some of the best people I've yet to encounter.
I hope that you stay around awhile, get to know us as we get to know you. There is a way out of this lifestyle if you're willing and ready. Through all the ups and downs I've experienced, I would rather remember them than be totally numbed out of my skull. It's definitely a great way of life!
Again, welcome

Danielle
Old 01-04-2005, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dja,

Welcome! You'll get lots of support here. I'm glad you found us.

Anna
Old 01-04-2005, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dja,

I'm glad that you have come to Soberrecovery. Here you will find others who will share experience, strength and hope with you.
I'm glad you're here!

Luv and hugs,

Lindsey
Old 01-04-2005, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Stick with us, you'll be okay! Welcome to SR!
Old 01-04-2005, 08:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Dja, Welcome !
I say I found this site, but something brought it to me...... Fate or luck.. I don't know.
But if I'm having a bad day, I come here, and the support that I see for you and I ( no matter where we are in our recovery) is uplifting and unending. My suggestion is to keep coming back. read the threads and Know you are not alone...
Love, Cindy