Notices

why do i drink

Old 12-29-2004, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

why do i drink

I am a newcomer here and am really not sure where to go.I started drinking at age 13 and have always drank since.I am 30,married with a child.I have a good life,have been in the same job for 9 years married since i was 21,and our child was or choice.I cannot seem to stop drinking,sometimes i may stop for a week or two maybe a month,then sometimes i drink 3 times a week.This problem has caused me many problems PLEASE HELP
Old 12-29-2004, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WhydoIdrink,

Welcome! I'm ChrisMan, recovering addict. Here you'll find people recovering from a variety of addictions, including alcoholism.

This is a great place to meet people, find some new friends, and get great advice.

Have you tried A.A. (Alcoholics Anonymous)? Recovery groups are a great way to find fellowship and support.

I am sure others with more wisdom than myself will be responding soon to this thread!

ChrisMan
Old 12-29-2004, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Why.

Welcome to SR.

I can only echo what Chrisman said and that is to check out AA. Just by listening you will learn a great deal.

Drinking has ruined my relationship but with the tools which I have gained at AA, I have the faith and the courage to try and rebuild what I have broken.

Patience isn't easy to exercise, but it's worth it.

Good luck.

Rich
Old 12-29-2004, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is your life really good? If so, why drink?? I give you credit for keeping your job for 9 yrs I give your wife a thumbs up for staying with you and you said it all when you said your child was your choice so why can't you make the same choice when it comes to drinking? Is it really worth throwing it all away for a few drinks? Keep track of how often and how long you stop drinking this way the next time you get the urge to drink again you have something that will give you a little more willpower to go the extra mile and press forward to keep away the drinking longer hey it's worth a try...after all you do have alot to lose with your wife and child.................just think about it

I'll keep you in my prayers..God Bless
Old 12-29-2004, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[I]have tried AA its so crowed hre in jaxs
Old 12-29-2004, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

We drink because we have the disease of alcoholism.its as simple as that for me.Can you go to an out-patient treatment center?They have night time groups usually.Keep reading and learning about alcoholism.Try that meeting again ! Welcome ^ Bless,Trish
Old 12-29-2004, 02:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whydoidrink
[I]have tried AA its so crowed hre in jaxs
When you say you have tried AA.Does that mean you had a sponsor and actually worked the steps?Or Did you just attend a few meetings?It took me a while to feel comfortable In AA.Every group is a little different.I had to try a few different groups to find one where I felt comfortable.However,today even that has changed.I believe I could hit pretty much any meeting in the World and feel at home.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome and ditto to the above posts. We're alcoholic, simple as that, but there is a solution, and you have to find what works for you, it starts with one day at a time, being honest, willing, and openminded to suggestions. You can do this!
Old 12-29-2004, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((((((((((WhyDoIDrink))))))))))
Well chances are you might just be an alcoholic!

I'm grateful AA let me diagnose myself. Sorry to hear you "thought" you tried AA and it was apparently too crowded for you. Heck I found overcrowded jails tiresome but never let my trips there keep me from my next drink. Even had my share inside the walls, razorwire, and behind the glass. I used numerous excuses to continue on with my drinking though and bolster my ego even though the toilet bowl swirl was taking me down for probably the last time.

Well, in fact, the answer to the riddle as to why I drank may never be answered to anyones entire satisfaction let alone my own. I'm just grateful I found a solution before it was too late. I was shown how to put in the well needed & very rewarding efforts to stay sober, one day at a time.

If you can just quit, quit. If you find you cannot do it alone, we(in AA) have a way out that really works. LOL Even in spite of myself. And there are also numerous other ways that sometimes help problem drinkers. I hope you find a solution for your own personal dilemma with drinking.

((((((((((WhyDoIDrink))))))))))
3 Legacy
Old 12-29-2004, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

[I]What can i say......in 3 hrs i have had 8 of the best replies.....all of which i will dream about tonight......thanks to all and anymore advice that comes my way.....and yes i have a happy life,just not sure about a happy me!I will also give AA another try.thanks again
Old 12-29-2004, 06:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Why,

I know that Jax is a big city - lived there for a year.

Just know that staying sober can bring so much joy!

Without AA and this message board, who knows where I'd be..

I am praying for you,

Lindsey
Old 12-29-2004, 07:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome (((WhydoIdrink)))

I have to agree with what the others said. If you are an alcoholic, then you will need support to quit. I find my support in aa. I was glad to see that you will give it another shot. Try keeping an open mind this time. Try not to compare yourself with others. Instead, try to identify with their feelings, and consequences for their drinking. Keep coming around here, too. This is just another tool I have in my toolbox. There are a lot of caring people here who will listen and offer their suggestions. May you find your way out of the dark.

Sherry