Al-Anon meetings

Old 07-15-2002, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Al-Anon meetings

I'd like some feedback on this issue. I've been in the program about 6 years. For years I went to meetings 2 or 3 times a week. My sponsor moved out of state about 6 months ago and ever since I have not been going to many meetings. I work 2 jobs and its hard for me to go. I used to go to "any lengths"to get to a meeting but I don't anymore.

I have a new sponsor now who is really encouraging me to go to
meetings. I do belong to an online group but have terrible guilt feelings about not attending like I used to. What do you guys think?

Hugs,
Lynn
Old 07-15-2002, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hi luckygal

I think you have to do what's right for you. If you went to meetings that long, it should have given you a good foundation for step work, which people who don't go to meetings miss.

And there is a lot of recovery on line - this board has helped me as much as my meetings, but the thing is, like you I had the foundation first.

The one difference is real live people available to give you support when you need it and a sponsor to work steps with and another side is to help the newcomers - they say we can't keep it unless we give it away.

In the end, do what you are comfortable with and don't feel guilty.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

I went to meetings, like you for about 6 years and then we moved. Not far, but far enough to make it a harder to make a meeting, and the addict was no longer in my life on a daily basis...and I didn't know any one locally, so I took a break.

I had enough of a base that I believe I headed a very large relapse off at the pass... Now I have gotten to one of the local meetings a week and hooked back up with my beloved sponser and returned to my old home group. What is a little gas when my sanity is at stake?

Only you know where you are and if you are doing well and stay vigilant you will know when and if it is time to return.