New Years Resolutions

Old 12-28-2004, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Years Resolutions

I got some inspiration today to really get my recovery more 'organized' for my New Years resolution. I'm just getting started again (for the third time) & AH has announced to me that he will be quitting for the New Year (for the umpteenth time)!

While deep inside I want to hang all my hopes & dreams on the fact that this will be THE time it'll click & he'll be able to be clean & sober for the rest of his life. I want to HELP him, give him books, literature, even introduce him to sites like this one for support! I don't want him to 'do it alone' because my codie self know that if he does he'll fail & if he uses me for support he won't! YEAH RIGHT!!!

Alas I must restrain & use what I have learned about what I need for MY recovery! So... to help me in MY New Years resolution, I went out today & purchased some new reading material (Chicken Soup for the Recovering Soul & Melody Beattie's Codependents guide to the Twelve Steps) & a nice moleskin journal. I'm joining Weight Watchers again to lose the weight I gained back from a weight loss last year. I'll use the journal to track my WW points & jot down inspirational messages to follow each day - many thoughts from you!

I'm also going to use my new laptop to keep a more personal journal. AH is useless when it comes to computers & I figured it would be safer than keeping one he can just pick up & read.

Do any of you have a recovery resolution for the New Year?
As always thanks for being there, when sometimes it feels as if no one else is!

Christine
Old 12-28-2004, 11:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Heard a message on the radio today about resolutions.
Every year we make them and it seems that every year we break them.
The message was pretty much trying to say..stick with it and keep making the resolutions. Don't give up because with no goals...no gains.
1 day is better then no day. 1 week is better then none.
Just keep trying and keep reaching for the goals you set.
With no target there is no direction. With no target, we will never reach what we are after.

Keep on trying. Keep up the effort of moving forward.
We can do it as the many people who come and visit sites like this show...It can be done and we can do it.

My resolution.... deal with life...one day at a time
Old 12-29-2004, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Radar

:hello2 I don't usually make new years resolutions but this year I feel I have to. I just have 2 of them.

1) Read my Alanon literature and the recovery books at least every other night.

2) Go to church and read the Bible on Sundays. Try to live my beliefs instead of just playing at it.

drgnfly, good luck with Weight Watchers. I've joined and quit twice but both times I lost 10 pounds or more and have kept it off. It's getting time to join once again. I need to lose 15 more pounds and I'll get down to my target weight. I guess that's number 3 resolution... LOL
Old 12-29-2004, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

drgnfly, good luck with Weight Watchers. I've joined and quit twice but both times I lost 10 pounds or more and have kept it off. It's getting time to join once again. I need to lose 15 more pounds and I'll get down to my target weight. I guess that's number 3 resolution... LOL
Thanks - I've always been pretty successful with WW. I lost 23 lbs last year, needed to lose about 40 though... I've gained about 5 back so it's time to get a handle on it before it gets out of control!!
Christine
Old 12-29-2004, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mine is the one alot of us make every Jan 1. That is to quit smoking. I had been off for a few months and picked them back up a few weeks ago. If my AW can abstain from drinking for 13 months after a lifetime of it-I will use her as inspiration. So next week if my post sound irritable GET OVER IT! IM TRYING TO QUIT SMOKING AND I DONT NEED A BUNCH OF PEOPLE TELLING ME HOW TO POST OR NOT TO POST!!!......sorry I am anticipating a rough go.Happy New Year.....
Old 12-29-2004, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Survivor

I would love to share my new years resolutions with you all.

1. I will no longer force myself to go see my family for the sake of it. There is nothing sacred in my family and they hurt me so much every single time. I can no longer expose myself to that kind of pain and frustration. It is time for me to live my life separate from them now. Time to allow me to take care of me.

2. I will stick to the serenity prayer. I will let go and let God take care of those things that are out of my control instead of worrying about these things. It will make my life a lot more peaceful.

3. I will also enhance my spirituality by reading more spiritual texts and taking advantage of the lovely chapel house at my school. You can stay there for a couple of nights if you want to, for a small fee, and there are no phones, no television, no computers, it is just you and your readings, prayers, and meditation. I hope to take advantage of that more often next year.

4. I would also like to work out and drink water everyday, I mean a lot of water too. I have a Brita at school and a lovely water bottle to help me out with that. I would also like to make sure that I eat healthy .

5. I will keep up with my leisure reading and do what I think is fun in spite of what everyone else things. Now, I have always done this but this year I wont worry about going out with my friends, even if I dont drink when I am out with them, I still dont like it, so I wont be pressured into going. Bottomline, I will not let anyone pressure me into doing anything.

6. I will also keep striving for that 4.00. Last semester I got a 3.59 and my cumulative rose to 3.13. YAY! So, I want to keep advancing.

Those are my goals, which I will achieve. They are reasonable and will bring nothing but positivity into my life. Wish me luck guys.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm living my principal resolution...and that is to remain sober and recover.

My other dreams I can't control other than keeping my side of the street clean: To go back to the Caribbean with my fiancee for my birthday in March; to plan and live our future together.

God's will not mine (well maybe just a little please).

Rich
Old 12-29-2004, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dee at Mt Bully

Wow--good stuff--I'm in the do not make them catagory--but maybe I'll put some ideas on here and see what happens.

1. I would like to reach a place with my soon to be x-AH where we can communicate
on a friendly basis without him p------ me off and me pointing out how he ruined my
life. LOL off to a good start huh

2. Finish painting houses and do some landscaping so they can go on the market--
get sold and I can move on.

3. Work on myself-who am I without this AH (weight around my leg) interffering with
my otherwise peaceful life. LOL

Humor aside thats kinda my plan--so I guess you could call it a New Years resolution.
Love and smiles--Dee