Notices

Scared, Rapid Heartbeat

Old 12-26-2004, 11:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared, Rapid Heartbeat

I am a 25 y/o female. I know I have a major problem with alcohol but I have one immediate question: Lately I have been experiencing heart problems. I can't catch my breath very well, and today (hangover, of course) for the first time I feel like my heart is beating rapidly or harder. Basically I am just aware of my heartbeat. Should I go to the ER? The Doctor? I dont think I can get to sleep.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
kaduceuskitty

Hi there

Good evening sweetie....My name is Ginny...

Do you know how to take your pulse rate? put your index and middle fingers from your left hand on the under/palm side of your right wrist ....but more towards the thumb side (not over the tendons...)

THen try and clear your head....think of a happy place.....and watch a clock....counting the beats for one minute....if that's too long....do 30 seconds and double it.... Then write me back if you can...

It is most likely just a lil nervousness you're experiencing...or even dehydration from alcohol can raise your pulse a bit.... I am a paramedic and in training to be a Physician Assistant.... I'm not an expert by any means.... Especially when it comes to alcohol withdrawals (I'm unfortunately a "pill person")....but I am awake and online if you're scared and need someone...

~Ginny

Old 12-26-2004, 11:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
kaduceuskitty

Me again...

.... I was also wondering about your shortness of breath....

Have you been coughing at all with it?

Do you have that feeling all the time?

If not, when does it happen and how long does it last?

Do you smoke? (I do...not judging....just questions)

Do you ever feeling like you can't lay down flat at night (prop up on pillows)?

Are you having any chest pains, nausea, or any others symptoms?

Still trying to "help" if I can.... btw... I'm online on AOL IM and ***** Instant Messenger under the screen name "kaduceuskitty" right now..If you need me.

Old 12-26-2004, 11:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, I really needed to hear some kind of advice. Am not very good at taking my pulse but I am trying.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hi Delaney

JC here - alcoholic.
Originally Posted by delaney26
Lately I have been experiencing heart problems. I can't catch my breath very well ...
Blimey..!! Is this a self diagnosis or have you actually been told you have a heart problem.??

My experience is that when I was drinking, especially after coming off one of my usual benders/binges I would experience heart palpitations. Quite scarey sometimes, especially if I had them with the intense chronic anxiety I used to exprience during withdrawal. My heart would turn into a set of bongo drums and on occasion feel like it was missing a beat or stopping all together .... terrifying. Tell you a secret though....... this has all stopped since I stopped taking alcohol, one day at a time.

If you have a heart condition (doctor's diagnosis) I would call the ER straight away. Take no chances with your ticker.

much love
JC
Old 12-26-2004, 11:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to be a social/binge drinker but lately I've taken up the "habit" of drinking at home, a few glasses of wine or a couple drinks whatever gets me buzzed. The shortness of breath has been going on for about a month.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah my heart feels like bongo drums. And yes I guess I am doing "self diagnosis" right now. I am typically a healthy female except for my love of alcohol. This is the first time I recall being "aware" of my heart beat, it's very scary.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
kaduceuskitty

Still here

Do you mostly feel short of breath only when you're scared?

Can you lay flat without feeling worse?

Try not to worry..... You are amongst friends here....

When was your last drink? You may be withdrawing a bit.....

~G

Old 12-27-2004, 12:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

HI - delaney26

I'm Ed

hope that you are getting a hold of yourlself.

ohh alcohol I hate it , I love it... its a real messed up relationship I have with it...

I still struggle with it. and have gone through many of those heart palpitations since I decided that I wanted to stop. I think I have made som progress, though.I have gone from despising myself to just hating myself as some ppl would say. but in the end I still ended up getting drunk and/or insanely high. so I would really check on that lilttle secret Jaysee gave ya. and also would check on a doctor, acohol tends to waste me internally was well.

so take care of your self.
and hang in there, the storm will pass.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Im no doctor by any means.But it sounds like anxiety/panic attacks to me.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
new life

Hello Delaney, everytime you catch a buzz ur body pays for it!
My high blood pressure( by drinking )was causing alot of those type symtoms.
See ur doctor asap!!!!
TC mikee
Old 12-27-2004, 09:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Chy

The best advice I can give is to go to the doctor. I tend to think anxiety as well as when hungover, that's when I experianced the same symptoms. Listen to your body, don't self diagnosis, just go to the doc and be honest. *hugs*
Old 12-27-2004, 05:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

about the rapid heartbeat...

Hi, I'm new here, and VERY new to thinking in terms of recovery. I just wanted to say that I'm glad people posted that all of this could be due to anxiety. I'm a very very bad binge drinker (like, I'll go an entire week drunk, or once it was 8 months with not a single break) then after it, I get the pounding heart feeling too. But I also get horrible hallucinations and shakes....hurts when i can't move, but *something* will touch me or I'll hear/see things and almost jump out of my skin. I guess anxiety makes sense there, because it (usually) goes away after a week (of withdrawing).

Julia
Old 12-27-2004, 05:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Chy

In your case Julia it sounds like DT's. Dilerium tremors and in your case it's best to detox under medical supervision as withdrawal can be fatal in alcoholism withdrawal. I hope you find the support and courage here to seek help, we understand. *hugs*
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/withdraw/a/aa030307a.htm
Old 12-27-2004, 06:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi, I am a nurse, also a recovering pill addict.
I too experienced bouts of shortness of breath--sometimes lasting weeks. It felt like I couldn't catch my breath and felt better when I took deep breaths. I would go to sleep and wake up fine, but once up awhile, it returned. I now relate it to my pill useage. Haven't had a bout of it since I started recovery 6 years ago.
That said, to put your mind at ease, see a doctor. One of those that replied had a good idea--dehydration, which excessive use of alcohol does. When you drink alcohol, you tend to not drink the water you need to stay hydrated. When you dehydrate, it can raise your heart rate. Get checked. It is probably nothing serious, but you will feel better.
Dawn :hello2
Old 12-27-2004, 07:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it. So far, this board is my only outlet to trying to stop drinking. Anyway... today my heart is still beating somewhat irregularly, but maybe not quite as bad. Anxiety could sure explain it, as I do believe I've started to get panic attacks this year for the first time. Julia I'm a very bad binge drinker too. That's all I used to do, was drink to get drunk, but lately (and why I am here) is I find myself drinking several times a week not just on the weekend or at a party.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Delaney,
Please don't try to self diagnose. Go to a doctor and be honest with him/her. There is confidentiality in the medical office, if you are afraid of them telling someone about your drinking.
Dawn