Discussion/Anti Depressants

Old 07-14-2002, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Discussion/Anti Depressants

Just a topic for thought.

I've noticed that others here who have started on anti depressants are doing much better than they were before. I have always stayed away from medication. I did start Prozac a month ago and I've noticed a difference.

I've noticed a difference in Bonbon and Barbiedeb and I've noticed a difference in myself. My negative thoughts are not nearly as bad as they were before. My worry is less. I usually worry about EVERYTHING. I find that my thoughts are not being pulled in that direction anymore.

I know medication is not for everyone, but I think it's worth a try if you suffer from daily depression and worry and anxiety.

I really think it is helping me.

Hugs,

MG

Old 07-14-2002, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Good topic MG

I, too, was having anxiety attacks daily or more than daily. My doctor put me on Paxil, and when I had too many side effects, she tried Wellbutran (Spelling?), and that one was better but dragged me out. So she gave me a different prescription to use on a "as needed" basis called Apo-lorazopam and that one worked fine. The prescription was for 60 tablets and I have taken about 30 in a 10 month period.

During this same time I have been working my program and got to a place where I am not as stressed or depressed, and I also have started taking hormones for menopause, and I think that those factors helped me more than the prescription.

I think that the most important thing here is to be honest with your doctor and to communicate any effects, good or bad.

It is a personal thing, and each of us knows when the anxiety/depression becomes too much to handle, or when they become a frequent thing, not just an occasional problem.

But I would recommend to anyone who has either of these to talk to your doctor.
Old 07-14-2002, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

OH Ann,

I tried Wellbutran to help me quit smoking once. It turned me into a crazy person, lol. I was following my daughter around the house crying and asking her why she hated me. It gave me insomnia and I was up for days smoking all day and all night. It was a horrible experience for all those around me.

I do think that was before I started my hormones though. I've heard some horror stories about Wellbutran. I was so hoping it was the miracle stop smoking cure.

I guess there is not such thing as a get fixed quick scheme.

I'm going to try again when this prozac kicks in all the way and see if I can quit without as much depression attached.

Hugs,

MG

Old 07-14-2002, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hey MG and Ann

Now that you mention it, I have noticed a difference. I am much more calm and seem to be able to "go with the flow" better; and don't seem to have those crying jags any more. I was so against the doctor giving me the anti-drepressant, my thoughts were "He is the one with the problem, why do I need meds?" Well, we tried Celexa but the side effect were a little too much for me to handle and now I am taking Effexor XR and it seems to be doing the trick. I just hope I don't need to continue on these forever, and I think I will discuss this with the doctor the next time I see her.

I also took Wellbutrin a few years back for the quitting smoking thing and I didn't like them. They made me feel weird. I guess just like any addiction, you have to want to quit. I think they should have rehab for that (smoking). Tomorrow the cigarettes go up in price at a dollar a pack and I am not buying them, so tomorrow is the day for me. Hopefully, taking this medication will not make me go crazy while I am attempting to do this.

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 07-14-2002, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

LOL Barbiedeb

I too am "considering" quitting smoking. They just took a huge price jump to almost $8.00 a pack...they were $4.50 a few months ago. In the meantime I have tried cutting in half what I smoke. Then I will try cutting that in half again..Until I am down to none. Oh Don't I sound like someone on the NA board LOL. And PLEASE do not take offence anyone from NA who reads this.

I bought a book on quitting and it suggested this for old-timers like me. Luckily I cannot smoke at work - Smoking in the workplace has been banned in Toronto.

Anyway...Good Luck to both of us.
Old 07-14-2002, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi MG>>>>>>>>>we had the anti-d discussion on another board. I just want to bring up the ANXIETY thing....which I have. I did take zoloft( another anti-d)....for a time...and it was OK...but I found through searching various doctors that is was a combo platter of my thyroid*yes this can make you anxious and totally screwed up*For some reason no docotors were NOT checking me that for me. Anyway....finally I found my Kahuna shrink who now has me on Klonopin and I feel very good. I have been on this for nearly six years. All do agree that when I rid myself of my major stress which is my "A" they believe that my panic/anxiety attacks will get better. They are killers!
Love
Kitty
Old 07-14-2002, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hey Ann

I just keep thinking of that price and how unhealthy it is. I was by the smoke shop today and the price for a carton is $33.89 plus tax and that is supposedly on special, so who knows what the price will be tomorrow when they go up a dollar per pack, $43.89?? I just can't do it any more.

My mother got sick a few years ago and had to be put in the hospital and she had been smoking at least 3 packs a day. She quit cold turkey at the age of 72 and she still isn't smoking!! She had smoked for at least 40 years if not longer. If she can do it, I can do it!! I am determined.

I wish all of us luck on this addiction. I guess I will be posting at the substance abuse board when I feel the craving.

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 07-14-2002, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Hello all!

Thought I would throw in my two cents. My in-laws friend is a social worker. She stated to me that not all anti-depressants/anxiety work for every individual. In my case, she warned that I should not get discouraged if the first one did not work. However, I was lucky. Once I got over the side effects of Paxil, it is working great! Although, I do agree that we should really work our program. That is the most important thing. If you are still not feeling any relief, you should positively see your Doctor. And if anti-depressants are not the answer, something in the line of an anti-anxiety med may be the answer. Paxil is one, as is Valium (diazpam) and Ativan (lorezpam). Be evaluated by your doctor and be very honest so that he/she can help you best.

Know that I am praying for you every day!

Lolly
Old 07-14-2002, 09:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

anti-depressants and smoking

I'll throw in my 2cents,too. I take effexorXR and clonzopan for depression and anxiety. I've been taking them for a while now and they seem to work. I don't seem to get as depressed and anxious as before. I don't want to be on them for life...but who knows...
I can't believe the price of ciggs! You all must be rich!! I smoked for years and was a 3 pack a dayer. I used the patch and am happy to report that its been almost 10 years since I had a cigg. Its very hard to do but if you can do it it will be a wonderful gift to yourself. Good Luck to you all...I understand how difficult it is and I swear, if they told me I had 6 months to live, I would probably start smoking again. I still get the urge to light up. My HP takes care ofme, tho.
Love you all, Lynn
Old 07-14-2002, 09:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

For all you smokers....I am going to step on the pedastal and vent about smoking. I am watching my Mother die a slow painful death from emphysema...she is 24 hour a day oxygen and is now in a wheel chair with 24 hour a day care. She is 75. This was a beauty queen, with a zest for life and it makes me as sick to see her as my A. Infact it is worse...wayyyyyyyyyyy worse. She is truly suffering...give those cigarettes another thought..OKKKKKKKKKKK I will zip it from here out.
Love Kitty
Old 07-14-2002, 09:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Good for you Lynn,

You are a luckygal. Isn't that terrible to still have the urge after 10 years. I know cigarettes are just as addiciting as any other drug.

I am an addict.

I've tried to quit several times and will attempt it again.

Hugs and Welcome to the forum,

MG

Old 07-14-2002, 09:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

I'm sorry Kitty about your mother. I have really tried hard to quit. I will try again.

Hugs,

MG

Old 07-14-2002, 09:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

MG................ I know they are.....I smoked for a short time years and years ago. It is worth the try......................I wish you could see my Mother
Love Kitty.............
Old 07-14-2002, 09:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

Don't understand the cycle smoking, is a depressant right? Then taking anti-depressants on top of that it just seems like your getting nowhere. I do undertand that antidepressents help you quit smoking, maybe if you get the right anit-d and dosage and quite smoking you don't need the anti-d??? I am an x smoker, but never smoked before noon and really had no problem quiting both times that I did. Haven't smoked in 5 years, but you never know. I had a span of 7 years between smoking before. I have never taken anti-d's but have been drinking a little more during this time in my life (one a night). Ramble, ramble, ramble. Just a few thoughts. sorry about the ramble......

Sherri

Oh yea- I do want to say that I do feel that there are times in our lives that we need things like anti'd, counseling, etc. So I really don't knock using these things when needed, just be careful and be able to distinguish a dependancy.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Paused

I've been taking Wellbutrin and now Celexa. I was taking Prozac but had too many side effects. The Celexa seems to be doing great except it really makes me sleepy. Hopefully that will soon pass. The Wellbutrin seems to be working fine too although I seem to be a little more paranoid then before. I don't know if it's the med's or just me but i do seem to be alot more relaxed and go with the flow then before taking them.

Has anyone ever heard of Serenity - it's a natural mood altering drug? It's for depression and you don't need a prescription for it.
I found out about it on the internet.

MG - what crazy things have you heard about Wellbutrin? Should I be scared of taking it? Sorry Smoke - there's that should word again LOL - but this time it's for a good question. I'm one of those one's that say should and what if's way too often. I'm trying not to use those words as much. It's one of my new goals.

I smoke too - cartons of Marlboro lights are $24.99 here in Virginia. I'm trying to quit too. I've cut back alot. I'm going to try to quit all the way. My children have been begging me to quit. I don't smoke in the house or the car. I don't like them to be around smoke.

You guys have a great day!!

Love,
Galnva
Old 07-15-2002, 06:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

And I too will throw in my 2 cents!

I have been on Celexa now for a Month. It has done wonders for me. The obsessing has gotten soooo much better, the negative thoughts I used to have subsided a whole lot, and I have a good feeling of well being and contentment.

It has taken me too working on my thoughts, It seemed as though once I got going with them they would take over me. That has gotten better.

The only side effect I experience is drowsiness. If I take it at night before going to bed I don't have to worry about it.

All in All I am so thankful I went to the doctor.

NOW- the smoking??!?! I am an avid Marlboro smoker. I am embarrased to say right now I am just not ready to give it up. Thats terrible isn't it?

I will though one day hopefully quit! I admire those of you who have.

Everyone take care!
Old 07-15-2002, 10:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

Tweety - Nicotene is a stimulant, unfortunately.

Just wanted to weigh in from the other side. I, too, was placed on anti-d's. Prozac first and then Paxil. I tend to be a cyclical personality....up and down, but not to extemes. The meds tended to even me out, yes, and perhaps that was good during the most stressful periods. I don't recall a time when I felt they were working, tho....I ended up putting on 60 lbs in 6 months on Paxil and losing all of my motivation. I had to slowly wean myself off of them because at that time (and still in many cases) the doctors were swearing they were not addictive and there would be no withdrawal. Wrong wrong wrong! Since that time, many cases have been reported from the ER where patients were trying to go off, ran out, or whatever. They ended up feeling out of it...spacey....tingly....it's not a fun way to feel. So they went to the ER and reported what they were experiencing and also what meds they were taking. Well, medicine hasn't come as far as most of us would hope when dealing with mental illness. Docs blamed the feelings on panic attacks, or recurrence of what led them to be prescribed the anti-D in the first place. Sad. It took me close to 2 months to wean off completely...the weight FELL off and my motivation and personality came back. I, for one, would not take another Anti-D in the SSRI class. Again, this is only MY experiece.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Anns I wanted to verify the spelling of the medicine that your doc put you on. My husband has been taking Alprazolam for 14years! It is a generic for Xanax, if that is what your taking, be very careful it is highly addictive. My husband begin suffering from panic attacks 2 months after we married. He believes that he is addicted to them now. Of course that is also how the addiction to alcohol started, trying to control that panic attacks and avoiding taking the medicine.

I still haven't confronted him about his drinking again since I have made the decision that I need help (AL-anon) as well as the kids, but I will.

Please be careful with these medications as I have had to deal with them for far too long!!

Take care
Constant
Old 07-15-2002, 10:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Forgot to comment on the smoking, I love it, but I quit 4 year ago in August. I smoked for 19years. It was very hard. I started walking every morning for about two miles and I bought wintergreen life savers and ate them until I had sores in my mouth. It was worth it. Good luck to all of you who wish to quit, it can be done and YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Constant
Old 07-15-2002, 03:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

You have given me alot to think about
and I do have a doctor's appt. coming
up. I have tried Zoloft for 3 days,
I felt really weird and nauseous so didn't
give it a chance. And the smoking!!!!
Oh, I feel like a hypocrite when I can't
give up these deadly ugly things. And
to boot, my mother passed away with