have my eyes been opened?

Old 12-24-2004, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

have my eyes been opened?

this is so absurd. it is as if every A in my family and in his (my AH) circle of friends is trying to be as hateful and obtuse about being drunk and drinking as they can to get me to react to all of it. or are they all that miserable and it is their only expression? is this normal or is it just me trying to exercise some detachment to my sick dysfunctional family? am i not playing the victim role anymore? I still get angry at some of the crap they try to pull (ie adult or vulgar humor in front of my children). Do they want me to explode about it and is this going to get worse?! How do I stop it other than kicking them all out of my house? where do i learn about boundaries?
Old 12-25-2004, 09:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dee at Mt Bully

I once read a book about relationships being a dance and if we change the steps in
the dance the other people we are involved with can follow or lag behind or rebel.
So maybe it's like you changed the steps and they are desperatly trying to get the old
comfotable dance back. Don't give up--put yourself first. Smiles--Dee
Old 12-25-2004, 09:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by escape artist
this is so absurd. it is as if every A in my family and in his (my AH) circle of friends is trying to be as hateful and obtuse about being drunk and drinking as they can to get me to react to all of it. or are they all that miserable and it is their only expression? is this normal or is it just me trying to exercise some detachment to my sick dysfunctional family? am i not playing the victim role anymore? I still get angry at some of the crap they try to pull (ie adult or vulgar humor in front of my children). Do they want me to explode about it and is this going to get worse?! How do I stop it other than kicking them all out of my house? where do i learn about boundaries?

I noticed that when I reached a point with my AH where I just couldn't handle his behavior anymore - I couldn't tolerate anyone's behavior as long as they were drinking. I actually forgot how to have fun because my life became so serious. I starting attending Al-Anon, going to counseling, and getting support here. My shell is starting to break...

Melody Beatie has some really good books out there. I know they have helped me and I'm has help others here too. Does anyone know if she has one for boundaries.