Stages of Alcoholism?

Old 07-11-2002, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Stages of Alcoholism?

Bear with me if this is a really elementary question, but I've heard there are recognizable stages of alcoholism. I hear about a lot of alcoholics guzzling a bottle of vodka or a six pack in one sitting... but what about those who have lost all tolerance? One change I've noticed in my A that's alarming is no tolerance. A single glass of wine makes him uncoordinated and inebriated. It's scary. Is this a new stage?
Old 07-11-2002, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have any medical information about the stages of alcoholism, but I have watched my father and two of his friends though out the years. They were all three heavy drinkers. (mostly liquor) They would start the day with Screw drivers or bourbon in the coffee, switch to beer for several hours during the middle of the day and back to the hard stuff at an "acceptible" drinking hour in the afternoon. It was amazing the amount of alcohol they could consume and funtion; however, in the later years of their drinking one or two drinks seemed to send them into stupidville. We even compared one of them to the dead guy in the movie weekend at Bernie's. My Dad still drinks and can not "handle" his anymore, the other two are in recovery!

So after the boring story, I would have to agree that there do appear to be stages. It apparently takes a very serious toll on the mind and body. I was told that even after being sober, no matter the length of time, that if they begin drinking again that they will be back at that same level of self destruction.

I'll be interested to see the other posts. I would love to know as well.

I wanted to put a smiley face, but I can't figure out how !!!!
Old 07-12-2002, 04:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Marie,

There is a great post on the NA board covering this very subject. It is "Am I an alcoholic or an addict" and Pernell covers the topic at length. Check it out!