Notices

Newbie question?

Old 12-13-2004, 09:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie question?

I've really been reading a lot here this past week. You guys are so full of great and insightful information, more than I've ever seen.

Wondering about something......I've stopped drinking wine for seven days now. No more side effects after the 3rd day or so. *hooray*. Does this mean I don't have any more alcohol in my system anymore?

Reason I ask is, doc had given me an RX for weightloss support a while back but I stopped taking it about 2 weeks ago. (yes, I did take it while drinking and thank goodness, no bad side-effects). But I decided to not take the RX anymore until I was clear of alcohol in my system.

I'd like to start taking it tomorrow. Your thoughts? Am I free of alcohol in my system by now? TIA!!
Old 12-13-2004, 09:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

I'm not qualified to say for sure. I was on Fastin in 1983 or so for 6 months, and it had an upper effect and was addictive. I'm wary of all RX weightloss support. You need a clear head to stay sober. I'd leave them alone for at least six months, then only with a doctor's OK. Just my opinion.

Congratulations on seven days' sobriety!
Old 12-13-2004, 09:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Tia (I love that name!),
We really aren't supposed to give medical advice on here, but I can tell you that, yes, the alcohol should be long gone after a week. Congrats on that week, by the way!! As far as the weight loss med goes, I suggest you talk to your pharmacist or doctor before resuming it since you've been off it for a while. He or she can take into account which med it is, when it was prescribed, etc. and help you make a decision, OK?

Peace, love, and hugs,
Eddie

P.S. Without the wine, you may lose weight anyway without the med and like hector said, most "diet pills" are addictive and not a good idea for those of us with substance issues.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have to agree about the weight loss drugs. I was addicted to them also, though I didn't think of it that way at the time. It was hard to get off of them. Try the South Beach diet. Really works, and pretty fast too. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Yeah, the South Beach diet is great. My psychiatrist even recommended it to me. I couldn't do Phase I strictly, but I hear you can lose weight even starting with Phase II.
—EZ
Old 12-15-2004, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ama

Welcome Tia,

And you are doing well with your 7 Days!!!!! Eddie is quite right about the possibility of loosing weight when you come off the Vino! Wine and especially red wine is mega fattening.......Years ago now when I was a daily drinker, I was about 2 stone heavier and just not drinking saw it fall off after a few months! Unfortunately I then converted to binge drinking as I just couldnt accept my disease but I do now!

Dieting is not the best approach perhaps, to the start of sobriety as our bodies need to readjust metabolism and go in to restoratative mode etc. I would focus on Vitamin supplements to restore yourself - but I am only on Day 17 so perhaps not the best authority on same???? You will need to keep your sugars up in the beginning and this I do know so just give it alittle time and stay away from any pills. Live a life free from addiction or possible addiction.....

Luvs And Recovery Ama