Notices

First day today, Scared

Old 12-13-2004, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day today, Scared

Gotta do it, absoulutely have to. But I am afraid. I know some of the tools, like a cool dark room and fruit juice. I have been to an AA meeting. But I don't know about this withdrawal. I have some Xanax. Should I take it or wait for the symtoms to start. Don't like this. Hate me today.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ama

You can do it!!!! I will reopen a thread I posted at the beginning which just may help. One thing I found after 3 days was that i was shaking like mad. But it was actually because I had not eaten you see. The sugary hot decaf drinks were great too!!!! Get vitamins into you too! There may be some pain both physical and mental but for me I had to feel it. I had to experience where my alcoholism had brought me horrid and all as it was.

Yes you dooooo have to do it. Today is the beginning of the rest of your life. Read threads if you can and post and let us know how you are getting on or if you get paniky moments. It helped me so much to know this site and all here were there you see, when I was soooo very lonely. Make sure you are wrapped up warm cause I did get shivers and cold sweats etc. Make yourself as comfy as possible. If you need to, PM me, as I will help you all I can - we need alll the help we can get. This is not a sign of weakenss but rather one of strength and acceptance. I am now at day 15 and already life is brighter!!!!!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!! Luvs and a Gentle recovery wish for you ......Ama
Old 12-13-2004, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Ama, incredible that we can forget to eat, but I know it is true. How did you manage to go to work while going though this? I don't think I have been properly available to my family, though I thought I was doing just fine. Admitted drinking too much to my Mother yesterday, and was shocked at her admission of having done the same thing around my age. Hated to dump on her, but she was supportive. Didn't really admit the scope of the problem but have at least opened the door.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ama

Snap!!!! My Mum too!!!! Alcoholism perhaps jumping on the band wagon of mid life crisis perhaps????? Re the extent of the problem. Well my family are very very aware just how horrendous it is. My alcoholism was blatant you see. I fooled myself for so very long that is was not as bad as it was. That kind of worked for a while as an excuse to stay drinking. But it all catches up. My own dishonesty to myself was quite incredible you see.

I off load all the sneaky thoughts that come into my head now. Head Laundry you see!!!! And I have found AA to be the clincher. Going to meetings and sharing honestly and openly. This has given me great rewards as the warmth that has been returned to me. Good things.......

Stay Sober today and give yourself the most precious gift you can. Luvs Ama
Old 12-13-2004, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

MBtired.......I totally babied myself this first week. I mean, I spent half of it on the sofa watching Lifetime movies, you know, the ones where their lives seem so much worse than yours?

I ate like a horse, lots of sweets and pretzels and anything I wanted. Diet be damned. One thing at a time. I also drank a ton of water.......as much as I could get into me. And vitamins and of course, aspirin. I also took a lot of hot showers. These will all make you feel better.

I found my detox during this first week was not so much worse than a bad hangover that stays. It gets better every day.......really. The only thing that was new for me was I started seeing things out of the edges of my eyes......like what just moved? But nothing was there. Nothing too scary though.....and my eyes watered a lot.

When I felt really strange or bad, I just went and took a nap. I hope this helps. I was scared too, but I told my dh to watch out and come if I called him. Didn't have to.....the cat was watching me the whole time.

Good luck. We're here with you 24/7. **{hugs}}}
Old 12-13-2004, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Wow, (((mb))). Thanks for posting. Do you have the AA textbook? (The Big Book?) If so, lie down on your couch under a quilt and read. Here's some AA slogans you may not know:

One day at a time

Live and let live

Keep it simple

Think, think, think

But for the grace of God

Most of all, don't drink no matter what. Now that you've admitted to yourself that you "gotta do it", that statement *WILL* screw up your drinking.

How's the weather in Illinois? If you have no bars or liquor stores to pass by, a short walk every few hours might help.

I'll suggest peanut butter and honey sandwiches to eat. The bread will help your guts by absorbing whatever's nasty in there. The honey will replace the sugar in alcohol. The peanut butter is high protein. Bonus: they taste good. Thick soups as tolerated, candy, lots of water, REST.

When AA started in the late 1930's, Bill and Bob, co-founders, fed detoxifying people saurkraut laced with maple syrup. Sounds gross. Be easier than that on yourself.

Keep your head on straight. All you're trying to do is get through today without a drink. That's all you're ever going to try, no matter how long you live. Tomorrow, if you wake up, you can work on tomorrow's sobriety.

I've been sober over sixteen years, one day at a time. You've helped me today.

Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Wow, Hector--Saurkraut w/maple syrup, huh? Sounds completely disgusting.

((((((((mbtired)))))))))) Just wanted to say welcome and let you know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. As far as the xanex goes, I would highly suggest getting rid of it. The last thing you want to do is trade one addiction for another. MANY people have de-toxed without the help of drugs. You can do it too. We're here for you in the meantime.

Hugs--
Old 12-13-2004, 10:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sandra Bulluck

The first day of sobriety for me as well. I embarassed myself again. This time it was by downing a whole bottle of captain morgans and calling everyone I knew. I'm sure it wasn't a surprize to anyone I was loaded. I passed put around three pm. The guilt and shame is almost to much to bare. I hate myself for wasting a beautiful day off.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ama

Always one day at a time.......

Just a quick hello to let you know that I am thinking about you and wishing you every nice thing you can possibly imagine......Gotta feed les enfants now but will checkin later.......You are doing the right thing.......You are BRILL

Luvs and Gentle Recovery for you and all.......Ama

(((((Kelly))))) We can all do it REALLY we can.......
Old 12-13-2004, 11:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

mbtired and Kelly,

Thank you both for sharing your fears and experiences. Six days ago I was in exactly the same place. Your posts have touched me, and have reminded me why I want to stay sober. Thank you!

I truly recommend attending an AA meeting for strength and hope, as well as visiting these forums, on a daily basis.

On day three I too began to shake. Hot decaf tea with a couple of spoons of sugar, and a good meal helped a lot.

Know that I'm thinking of you. Come back often and let us know how you're doing.

Hugs to you both,

Lindsey
Old 12-13-2004, 11:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you Hector, Ama, Kelly, Lulu, and whoever I forgot. This disease is so not nice. I can't believe the things I do and don't do. The embarassment and so on and so on. Thank you Ama for your gentle recovery thoughts. I do have some Xanax but have been warned away from it by Lulu, don't think I would get hooked but who knows. I do know my whole body was trembling this morning, yucky feeling, very scary. I wanted to pull my dh back into the bed this morning and hang on for dear life, but he is one person who doesn't know or is in denial and had to go to work anyway so oh well. How about this rambling. Yikes
Old 12-13-2004, 11:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Another thing to help...take the amino acid L-Glutamine. It really helps in reducing the craving for alcohol as well as sugar. And a good b-complex vitamin. Alcohol has depleted your body of so much you need to put back.

I too, didn't eat at first and I went into a terrible depression. I cried for days and days and days. Finally, someone asked me about how often and what I had been eating. Hmmmmm, had to actually think about that. Now, I never go more than a couple of hours without eating, especially protein. And the afternoon is most important. That "witching hour" for me to start the drinking was about 5:30pm. If I had a good protein snack and L-Glutamine it was soooo much easier to sail throught the evening.

Try it, it works.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

All of you are so much better at advice than my DR. HE is actually in denial if you can believe it. He tried to convince me that I am not alcoholic. I guess I don't fit the bill, as most people think of it. Gosh. Thanks to pieces for all of you.

Nice to meet you Connie

Last edited by Mandybabes; 12-13-2004 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Forgot about Connie
Old 12-13-2004, 01:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

XANAX is another big huge addiction ready for you. You will go from one addiction straight into another addiction and there is nothing worse then getting off of XANAX. Turst my every word, I have been there. If necessary go to a natural store and get Valerian Root, it is a natural anti-anxiety pill that will help take the edge off. Also, exercise as much as possible and kick your endorphans in, its great. Take hot baths and get a sponsor or someone to talk to. We are here for you.
let me know, I am praying for you.
Debby
Old 12-13-2004, 01:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good for you!!!

I'm not really one to give advice as I am not yet sober, but I want to wish you luck all the same! As for me I have reduced my
consumption by half eg: last night I had a half litre of wine as opposed
to a litre...I didn't have to work today but I have to work the rest of the
week and I'm scared about withdrawl so I'm trying to cut down gradually...
Maybe it's dangerous, but I did not have a problem yesterday.
I think I found it easier yesterday and today as well as I spent just about
the past two days here on this wonderful site.
Question. I'm not used to the "speak" here. Like what does DH mean?
Dear Husband, Drunk Husband, Druggy Husband??? same for AH, I can only
assume it means Alcoholic husband... Another question, how do I use the
smilies in my posts?
Hope you are feeling much better very soon.

Iris
Old 12-13-2004, 02:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Dear Iris, you have asked some questions that I don't really know the answers to, the smileys are there if you go advanced, and I do think that dh is dear husband but then not so sure on that either. Oh I am so with you on the withdrawal thing and I will let you know if I make it, I sure am planning on it. And even though I'm not certain about getting smileys in here, I am smiling at you right now!

Hugs
Marilyn
Old 12-13-2004, 02:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Hang in there, mb. It gets easier. One day, or hour, or minute at a time. Whatever you need to break it down to.

To insert smilies, don't type in the message box at the bottom of the page. Click on Go Advanced. Type there. Smilie away, but not to your heart's content. You can only add two or three per reply.

Speaking of heart's content, mb... it's coming. Trust me. A contented heart. The ability to stand up straight and look the world in the eye.

Do the Steps.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Mostly Sunny Skies

from ohconnie
Another thing to help...take the amino acid L-Glutamine. It really helps in reducing the craving for alcohol as well as sugar.
I never like telling someone to take a drug or vitamin, as I have no medical training. But, L-glutamine sure helped me get over some tough humps. A large bottle of tablets at Wal-Mart is around $3 or $4. They are with the herbal based supplements and vitamins. Three tablets with a big glass of water can do wonders. Maybe it is just the placebo effect, but it really did help me out.

Toivo
Old 12-13-2004, 03:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ama

((((Marilyn))))

Just checking in to see how you are getting along. I was on a benzos too of which Xanax is one. Lulu is soo right - that is a detox straight from hell - stay away from them dear friend. I have detoxed many times with Librium too - but the easy ride to sobriety just does not work for me. I have to feel - to feel the pain you see.

I had not heard of the L-Glutamine but I am going to get some tomorrow. Keep drinking the sugary drinks too and make sure you are getting some food into you and water.

Re the hubby. At the end of the day this is about you. It would be nice to have support from him of course but dont let that stop you on your quest for a life of freedom from alcohol. Get sober and recovery and he will then surely see the difference. We are good people with a bad disease. When we embrace recovery - we shine so brightly and serenity fills our hearts. This will come to us all if we work for it and remain committed to it. You can do it !!!!!

Luvs and Gentle recovery......Ama
Old 12-13-2004, 04:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Mostly Sunny Skies

Glutamine

Since several people have mentioned glutamine (L-Glutamine), it may be worthwhile to look at more information about it before you go out and try it.

One good link is http://www.kroger.com/HN_Concern/Alcohol.htm

It may be worthwhile searching for information about gluatmine and alcohol on the internet. There is a lot of misleading information from various medical quacks, but there is some good information too. It also has reactions with other medications, so that should be checked carefully. The link above has such info.

Toivo