Notices

Fighting Cravings

Old 12-11-2004, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

Exclamation Fighting Cravings

HEY ALL,I LITTLE OVER 90 DAYS,I HAVE A SPONSOR THAT I TALK TO DAILY.
I GO TO 5 MEETINGS A WEEK,PRAY,READ THE LITURATURE,WORK THE STEPS.
I CRAVE ALCOHOL IT'S LIKE I THINK I COULD GO OUT TO A BAR,
DRINK WITH NO CONCEQUENCES.
I KNOW BETTER,BUT THAT IS A POWERFUL FEELING.
I SHARED WITH OTHERS ABOUT IT,KEEPING NO SECRETS.
IT IS JUST OVERWHELMING SOMETIMES.
PLAYING THE TAPE TO THE END,BROKE,SLEEPING OUTSIDE,SPIRITUALLY DRAINED.
JUST NEEDED TO GET THAT OFF MY CHEST THIS MORNING.
I GUESS I'M VERY IMPATIENT,I WANT IT,AND I WANT IT NOW!!!
STEP 1 STEP 1 STEP 1 :slap:

BE SAFE AND SOBER............ted
Old 12-11-2004, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Yep, right on schedule eh man...
I had some intense episodes around three months, and also a little after that, this past summer. Old habits die hard Ted.
Some say it's our disease talking to us.
Others say it's our fear of success.
You know as well as I do, from having fought the battles with your own sweat and blood.
We will gain nothing if we drink again.

I still wonder sometimes, if I could possibly sit in my favorite chair after supper, and sip on a nice single malt for an hour while reading the paper.
Or have one glass of a nice dry red wine with a good meal.
I miss that. I honestly do.
I miss the one drink.
But I really don't miss the rest of the movie.
Be safe and sober too Iron Man.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Hey Ted

Wow! for being able to play that tape to the end. That's a big achievment.

It took 2-3 months for the craving to really hit me too. I thought I was going to scate thru this sobriety thing, that I was the exception. Nope. And I've had periods since when I crave it followed by periods when I don't.

You're doing great ((((( Ted ))))))
Old 12-11-2004, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ama

((((Ted))))

Gosh I know that one soooo very well indeed. I spoke of it last night at a meeting. Told them that I know I am an alcoholic and accept it but still cannot trust myself because the urges are sooooo huge!!!!! Just writing that has demonstrated to me how completely and chronically alcoholic I am you see.

It is terrific that you have over 90 days now!!!! You must be proud of that! Last nights meetings for me was sooo good because the speaker had been dry for 10 years and went back out for 2 years. She is back with AA now - Home - !!!!! but not before destroying herself and her home and family. Gosh how familiar is that to us all!

The point it is that you are just saying what we all know. If it was easy we would not need the support that we do. It is CUNNING, it is POWERFUL, and it is BAFFLING!!!!! But we can overcome these insidious and awful things....

Stay Well, Stay Sober, Stay in Recovery, Luvs Ama
Old 12-11-2004, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As Dan mentioned - perfectly normal to get all of those cravings! They will happen. We win, as long as we don't give in and drink. I still get cravings occasionally, but they are not as intense as they used to be. Keep doing what your doing Ted! Reach out(like you did here) when those cravings get too tough. Keep calling that sponsor, keep hitting those meetings (maybe get a service commitment), and most of all keep praying everyday. Ask you higher power to help you through the day and not give in to the craving. Take care.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ama

((((Ted))))

Forgot to add that last night I was soooo very tired as I have had little or no sleep all week and thought I would give my meeting a miss!!!!!! AAAAhhhhh I knew this time however that that was alcoholism getting the better of me. So I picked myself up and got out and went to it. That is how it must be because my sobriety is soooo very young and I dont yet have the tools to fight it. But AA in my head does and will give me that protection. All your posts say this too. I read and read and now I even LISTEN you see!!!!

Stay Well, Stay Sober, Stay in Recovery, Luvs Ama
Old 12-11-2004, 07:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

SO TRUE,THANKS GUYS.GOING SHOPPING.WILL HIT MY SAT. MTG.
IDLE MIND= THE DEVIL'S PLAYGROUND.
ted
Old 12-11-2004, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Have fun, Ted!
Old 12-11-2004, 07:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((((Ted))))

Good job, my friend. We have to tell on our disease, and I always feel better at the other end of the craving. You are doing a great job. Keep up the good work, and have fun shopping!

Love and Hugs,

BEAR
Old 12-11-2004, 07:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
knucklehead

Ted, It seems that is one the many things we all have in common. The addict voice in our heads will always be with us, when it speaks it can only lie and create false illisions. If we forget the real truth and give in... We know the ultimate consequences. There is nothing to gain, only every thing to lose in the end. The truth will set us free.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There is a good reason the 90 day chip in AA is red...90 days is just about when we start getting pissed off that we can't drink ever again. Combine that with that little jackass sitting on our shoulder telling us we could try "just one" and 90 days becomes a dangerous time. It's great that you played the tape to the end...keep it up.

BubbaBob
Old 12-11-2004, 08:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

congrats ted - keep up the good work!
Old 12-11-2004, 08:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Something else that will help Ted is this. When we get sober, for many of us we become hypoglycemic for the first year or so and when the cravings hit it is because our body is craving sugar, our blood sugar if very low.

So, keep some hard candy around to suck on, or if that doesn't appeal to you, grab a handful of dry roasted peanuts, or several slices of cheese (protein) and you will find that the cravings very quickly decline.

This worked for me and many many others I know in early sobriety.

Congrats on your 90 days!!!!!

Love and hugs (((((to all)))))),
Old 12-11-2004, 09:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile

(((((Ted)))))
I can relate to what your saying about alcohol cravings. I'v had the same things happen to me. And I agree with Laurie about our blood sugar level getting low. It always helped me curb my cravings by eating something with sugar in it, or something that turned into sugar. My favorite is some kind of chocolate; or apple or orange juice.
Keep on taking one day at a time. And congratulations on your 90 days! :hoo Thats wonderful!!
Love, Rena' (((Hugs)))
Old 12-11-2004, 10:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Chy

Don't forget about the PAWS link my friend. I think we all go through it at some and varying points, we're alcoholic dammit! *hugs*
Old 12-11-2004, 10:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

((((TED))))

Like the BB says, we have no mental defense against that first drink. Funny, you being the Iron Man and all... still with this addiction, will power doesn't mean anything, does it? That's why I am so proud of you for reaching out and using the tools of AA to get through this craving. Keep doing what you are doing and it will pass, my friend.

I am proud of you for getting past this urge safe and sober. Hang in there. You are wrapped in my prayers today.

hugs,

jojo
Old 12-11-2004, 10:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hey Tedster

Hang in there Buddy. This too will pass. I've been saying that a lot lately. Been saying it about the good days too, just to keep me on my toes. I have some days when I scoff at the suggestion of a drink, but other days I am tempted, but these are rare at the moment (thanks HP)

Good & Bad days pass Ted - but that's life, and for once in my life, I'm dealing with life rather than reaching for a release. Tough sometimes though .... :shysmile:

much love
JC
Old 12-11-2004, 10:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Ted,
Keep going to meetings and those cravings will disappear!.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

Hey Ted

If you remember, thats about when I caved in last time too. The last time I hit over the 90 day mark and started to have bad cravings, they continued to get worse instead of better. I convinced myself that I could just have a couple as it was my birthday. I did. I actually had a couple of beers and felt it as it surged through my body with that warm familiar feeling. I stopped at a couple beers. hmmm....maybe I can do this thing normal (like others) after all. I walked upstairs quite proud that I had actually "recovered" to the point where I could have just a couple. I craved another one triggering alarm number one in my mind so I went to bed. When I got up, I was withdrawing again...from two stupid beers. The thought hit me that I could just go down and have one or two out of the fridge and I would feel better. Now that is normal alright....normal alcoholic that is. That is when I truly realized that it boils down to life vs alcohol for me and I can only have one as they will never go together for me. I chose life and have not looked back.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Tedster

Thank-you for sharing that with us,I experienced the craving alot in the begining and like you I talked about it and didnt act on it,when it passed I was so happy and relieved that I didnt.Every once in a while my disease taps me on the shoulder and whispers a lie in my ear..I tell it out loud sometimes "Its not going to happen today,so you might as well go away" than I whisper a little prayer,the evil that is my disease is no match for the force for good I have in my life today,kick it's a$$ Ted! Don't let it kick your's! Just for today (( Ted )) Prayers ^ Trish :ilu