Just needing to hear it will be ok

Old 07-15-2021, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just needing to hear it will be ok

Good Morning guys... I kind of had a big break through last night. I had been feeling depressed all day yesterday and then at night I got an email from my step dad. I run my step dad and my moms vacation rental for them and he sent me an email in regards to that and at the end he said "Reach out if you need anything".... It felt angry reading that. I am now 3 weeks into what will eventually be a blessing....but I call it dooms day in a sense... I realized that growing up I was always pushed aside. If I wasn't in a perfect and good mood my mom and step dad made me feel like I was "something to deal with"... yet anytime they needed me I felt like I was expected to show up and show out. Like when my stepdad left my mom and I was only 18 my mom told me she was suicidal so I dropped out of college and moved 45 mins away to stay with her. And when she was in the hospital the last 4 years I was there at least 20 hours a week...literally trying to run my company from a hospital room. Yet when I was 16 and raped and told her a year later cause I was too ashamed to tell anyone when it happened her response was "I wish you would have told me sooner... there isn't much we can do now"... never got me into therapy... Or when I miscarried twins at 4 months pregnant and had to go into labor she never even came to my house once to check on me and she lives 25 min away..... so I wrote this to my step dad....

As far as reaching out to talk. I don’t really have it in me to reach out. If you want to check up on me from time to time I’d appreciate that. This is a divorce and it is life changing… there are days I think to myself if I died in my sleep no one would even notice. So no I’m not doing that good. Mom has reached out once through text and that’s it. It hurts that after how much I was there for her especially in the beginning when she was in the hospital all the time (we all were) that she can’t ask me how I am… I’m going through a lot of resentments with stuff and I actually feel very alone in all of this. My family is gone. Like literally ******* gone. Sorry to cuss but in a 24 hour period my step kids and husband left and now live across the country. Devastating doesn’t cover it. So of course I’m not ok. Not even close to ok. I have days where I am. I’m still making it to the gym most days and powering through for work. But last night I woke up and forgot that he left for a minute and cried until I threw up from 2-4 am. I have therapy Friday with my regular therapist. I’m in an online Alanon group. I’m journaling. I’m doing all the things I should be doing but the pain of being completely abandoned will be here for a very long time. I felt like when I was at your house mom was very disinterested in the fact that I’m going through a Divorce… she even said “you can’t just sit still today can you”…. No mom my husband just left me. How would she feel if you just left her and gave her 1 hour notice. I’m not a Pilar of strength all the time. Sorry for venting but it really hurts. I just need someone to tell me it’s going to be ok. I wish mom could care more about me.

It felt relieving to say how I really felt instead of tip towing around it
Old 07-15-2021, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi LovelyKaya,

I know right now it seams everything is falling apart and no one is around to help you. You will be ok and you will make it through this. I know right now it hurts to think about everything that has happened. You wonder to yourself how will I get through this. You can get through this. You are strong. You just have to take it one day at a time and know that it will get better. You have all of us here that you can turn to for support. Look after your self, which you seem to be doing, but allow yourself a bit of fun and enjoyment. You have done a lot for everyone else you need to focus that energy on yourself now.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Kaya

Its going to be ok. This all will get easier for you with time.

I went through hell and back. I did it alone. If I can survive it then so can you.

I am not saying it will be easy but I am saying you will be ok. Screw this guy he didnt deserve having someone like you anyway. This honestly is for the best, your just not seeing it that way yet.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ironwill View Post
Hi LovelyKaya,

I know right now it seams everything is falling apart and no one is around to help you. You will be ok and you will make it through this. I know right now it hurts to think about everything that has happened. You wonder to yourself how will I get through this. You can get through this. You are strong. You just have to take it one day at a time and know that it will get better. You have all of us here that you can turn to for support. Look after your self, which you seem to be doing, but allow yourself a bit of fun and enjoyment. You have done a lot for everyone else you need to focus that energy on yourself now.
Thank you so much for this...this forum has been a saving Grace... I think also in my adult years I have gained some amazing friends that are incredibly there for me. I usually am a pretty social person ( except I am always home by 8 or 9... not into the bar scene) ... but I am a wedding planner and do 75-100 weddings a year on average (well pre covid) so I am around people all the time and I truly meet some amazing humans.... I just think I am starting to get out of the fog of not only what my exAH (well soon to be ex...screw it I am calling him an ex ) .... did in terms of emotional abuse... I am starting understand the reasons I allowed it in the first place.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HardLessons View Post
Kaya

Its going to be ok. This all will get easier for you with time.

I went through hell and back. I did it alone. If I can survive it then so can you.

I am not saying it will be easy but I am saying you will be ok. Screw this guy he didnt deserve having someone like you anyway. This honestly is for the best, your just not seeing it that way yet.
Thank you so much for this...sending you love ... I agree he didn't deserve me... but I let him have me and I had no price tag on my own worth... I think I am starting to understand where that came from. I have some of the best friends a girl could ask for... That coupled with this forum, my personal trainer and my therapist (who I have been seeing for a year now) I feel like I will get through this eventually.... I think I am just unraveling why on earth I discredited myself so much that I married a man I knew wasn't there for me in many ways... I knew he was an alcoholic and still said I do... 90% of our wedding pictures his eyes are glazed over... and I look like I am in pure bliss...ignorance was bliss then...

I now am understanding why my self worth was so low. I am having memories of my childhood when I was 15/16 years old... I am 40 now so back then it was the time of raves... I remember being able to be gone for days at a time with no one noticing or caring. I remember feeling jealous of the other kids parents who were calling them. It was like I almost wanted to be grounded cause at least than it meant my absence was noticed. Even back then I never did a drug so I was the sober driver for my friends at 16 years old ... my parents didn't care where I was at meanwhile their phones were blowing up... This is the first time I have really put 2 and 2 together when it comes to my self worth....
Old 07-15-2021, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kaya, please keep strong. I have nothing to offer but these wisdoms from members are golden. i came here 2018 with frustration of three years on and off alkie relationship, but even i heard all insightful advises, i was no willing to give up on my love, i read but still deep dow misse him terribly even how horrible he was. we have deep rooted attachment disorder from the chilhood. but this year, just last chance boom, after I knew his genuine personality, i had nothing to feel for him. I believe my oldest sister's blessing. Because until recently I still love him and yearning back to him. Well, I did not marry him like you. do we have no issue on that. I always believed that alcoholic people are good people with good heart. But, not everone is like that.
Hugs, you will be okay Kaya.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

People would absolutely miss you if you were gone. We would, your friends would, your trainer and therapist would, I'm sure your clients would, your family would too, even if they aren't supportive like you want. You are going through a ton of sh*t right now, and it's completely understandable to feel such a roller coaster is emotions. But you should never feel like you don't influence this world and the people around you.

As for your mom and step dad, honestly it sounds like you need strong boundaries with them. They need to understand exactly why the things they do or don't say and do are so hurtful to you. If they can't support you, or at least respect you enough to reach out for more than selfish wants, then they don't deserve the pleasure of your company. It sounds like you have a long history of being brought up to sacrifice yourself for others, while being surrounded be people who wouldn't do the same for you.

I'm sure this won't surprise you since I've pointed it out on several other posts, but the part about leaving to support your mom while she was suicidal really stuck out to me. It's admirable to care for your family, but you cannot be someone's suicide watch. You have your own needs to meet. Caring for your mother is not your full time job, particularly when she won't provide you that same level of care.

You'll get through this one day at a time. You should re read your posts about not thinking you'd make it past 3 days, and now you've made it 3 weeks. You're already healing, and you'll keep doing so as the weeks go on.
Old 07-15-2021, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You will get through this and eventually it won't hurt so much and less as time goes on. That's really true. All you can do is all the things you are doing and to take good care of yourself and start peeking at the great future you can have.

As for your parents, well, as a parent I have to say, we all have different approaches. Some parents have a looser parenting approach with their children than others, some wish they had been treated that way. That's their style and they are doing what they think is best, generally. You could well be sitting here today saying - and when I would go out as a teen they would constantly check on me if I was 10 minutes past the curfew, blowing up my phone, wanting to know where I was and who I was with and they insisted on coming to pick me up! If I had been given more freedom perhaps I would have figured all this out long ago.

You know what I mean?

I don't think what you said to your Step Dad is wrong, it's how you feel, but it's how you feel today, two weeks from now you might feel differently. All I'm suggesting is caution, perhaps now is not the time to address the issue with them, maybe once you get on the other side of all this hurt?

When we give something to someone else (like support) we are never guaranteed the same. Those things just have to be given freely, otherwise resentment builds. Resentment hurts us, so if you are doing things out of obligation, rather than freely, maybe that's something to look at? For you, not for anyone else.

I have some experience with this as my grown Son and I clashed heavily when he was older. Before that we had a great relationship, discussed everything and I was that parent that wanted to know where he was all the time (not overly, but always concerned). As adults, our parents look at us like self sufficient adults (well most do - I say thankfully).

Parents are and always will be imperfect!

Just some thoughts, hopefully helpful.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kaya, I am sorry you are feeling so much pain and sadness. It is so
hard when truthful insights from our lives hit like a sunami.

I think you are handling it well so stay strong and take one day at a time.
This was so helpful to me when I was struggling

https://self-compassion.org/the-thre...-compassion-2/

What if you need to see your therapist more often for a few weeks?
Can you go to in person alanon meetings? Face to face is good now.
You will get to a better place, you will be ok (((hugs))). The old way
is collapsing and the new will slowly unfold for you. Get all the
support you can.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Enkbaa View Post
Kaya, please keep strong. I have nothing to offer but these wisdoms from members are golden. i came here 2018 with frustration of three years on and off alkie relationship, but even i heard all insightful advises, i was no willing to give up on my love, i read but still deep dow misse him terribly even how horrible he was. we have deep rooted attachment disorder from the chilhood. but this year, just last chance boom, after I knew his genuine personality, i had nothing to feel for him. I believe my oldest sister's blessing. Because until recently I still love him and yearning back to him. Well, I did not marry him like you. do we have no issue on that. I always believed that alcoholic people are good people with good heart. But, not everone is like that.
Hugs, you will be okay Kaya.
Thank you so much
Old 07-15-2021, 05:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cookie314 View Post
People would absolutely miss you if you were gone. We would, your friends would, your trainer and therapist would, I'm sure your clients would, your family would too, even if they aren't supportive like you want. You are going through a ton of sh*t right now, and it's completely understandable to feel such a roller coaster is emotions. But you should never feel like you don't influence this world and the people around you.

As for your mom and step dad, honestly it sounds like you need strong boundaries with them. They need to understand exactly why the things they do or don't say and do are so hurtful to you. If they can't support you, or at least respect you enough to reach out for more than selfish wants, then they don't deserve the pleasure of your company. It sounds like you have a long history of being brought up to sacrifice yourself for others, while being surrounded be people who wouldn't do the same for you.

I'm sure this won't surprise you since I've pointed it out on several other posts, but the part about leaving to support your mom while she was suicidal really stuck out to me. It's admirable to care for your family, but you cannot be someone's suicide watch. You have your own needs to meet. Caring for your mother is not your full time job, particularly when she won't provide you that same level of care.

You'll get through this one day at a time. You should re read your posts about not thinking you'd make it past 3 days, and now you've made it 3 weeks. You're already healing, and you'll keep doing so as the weeks go on.
Thank you for this Cookie... It just hit me in a moment ... like who would really notice my absence and how long would it take. Granted I think I am being a bit dramatic... I think there are many friends and co workers I have... but the apartment feels strange I guess. Like tonight I just got home from work and went to see what I wanted for dinner... my first thought was...."Well what should I do for sides, the kids and my ex AH need pasta or potatoes to go with........" so it feels like the noise is gone. Some of that noise being is good/ peaceful and some of it hard and a reminder of the abandonment I am currently struggling with. I don't grant myself enough grace and I really need to start to do that. I think resentment runs deep with my mom and step dad and probably many more things in my life that happened that I am still brushing under the rug. I understand that no parent is perfect. Being 39 years old and having a 13 year old god daughter and having ( well had) 2 step kids I would think that they would have their grievances at some point. Thank you for always being so wise
Old 07-15-2021, 06:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
You will get through this and eventually it won't hurt so much and less as time goes on. That's really true. All you can do is all the things you are doing and to take good care of yourself and start peeking at the great future you can have.

As for your parents, well, as a parent I have to say, we all have different approaches. Some parents have a looser parenting approach with their children than others, some wish they had been treated that way. That's their style and they are doing what they think is best, generally. You could well be sitting here today saying - and when I would go out as a teen they would constantly check on me if I was 10 minutes past the curfew, blowing up my phone, wanting to know where I was and who I was with and they insisted on coming to pick me up! If I had been given more freedom perhaps I would have figured all this out long ago.

You know what I mean?

I don't think what you said to your Step Dad is wrong, it's how you feel, but it's how you feel today, two weeks from now you might feel differently. All I'm suggesting is caution, perhaps now is not the time to address the issue with them, maybe once you get on the other side of all this hurt?

When we give something to someone else (like support) we are never guaranteed the same. Those things just have to be given freely, otherwise resentment builds. Resentment hurts us, so if you are doing things out of obligation, rather than freely, maybe that's something to look at? For you, not for anyone else.

I have some experience with this as my grown Son and I clashed heavily when he was older. Before that we had a great relationship, discussed everything and I was that parent that wanted to know where he was all the time (not overly, but always concerned). As adults, our parents look at us like self sufficient adults (well most do - I say thankfully).

Parents are and always will be imperfect!

Just some thoughts, hopefully helpful.
Thank you so much for your response...Man these responses are bringing tears to my eyes in a good way. What I said to my step dad is actually how I have felt for many many years... I just think that this was the thing that finally allowed me to be honest. I think when my parents divorced when I was 7... (my mom left my dad for my step dad)..... I think my mom went into a different mode... A mode of I had my kids and I am done it is all about me mode.... While I do understand it at some level...she had my sister and I at 19 and 22 ...So I can imagine her twenties were not pleasant .... I also think it was very obvious that I was in the way of her life. There is sooo much to unpack here ... I have forgiveness in regards to some of the things that I experienced... however, to still be in a family that is not connected or "fake connected" and still experiencing the feelings I have of being blown off ...like "She is fine, She's got this...." really hurts... It is hard to explain... I know the universe or god pairs us with the right parents for our souls journey...I do believe that ... I just always craved a closer family.... for example I grew up surfing...Started when I was 12... almost was competitive... did it every day from about 14-30 years old... none of my parents have even seen me surf.... as a kid I got used to other parents taking me to the beach or getting on the bus at 14... I don't want to sound spoiled cause it wasn't about getting what I wanted... I wouldn't have cared if we didn't have the money but my one of my parents got on the bus with me.... and showed up and saw what I was doing for once... After I was raped at 16 I developed an eating disorder...it only lasted a year and to be honest I think it was out of trying to control something in my life... I got down to 97 lbs... I didn't even fit into a double zero and no one said anything.... Around that same time is when I finally got the courage to tell my mom something is wrong and told her about the rape and she did nothing except shame me for not telling her earlier... Apparently a year later was TOO long to wait... Thankfully the eating disorder was probably just to get attention at some level or feel noticed or I wanted someone to ask if I was ok cause I was too ashamed to just come out with it... so it wasn't permanent .... my point is that I can look back and logically see how and why I chose just about anyone that would show up for me....even if they were an obvious active alcoholic... there were no credentials needed... just show up and I was hooked... I guess I am starting without wanting too really dig deep into all of this... thank god for therapy tomorrow morning By the way thank you for all your feedback..... Also PS... there was no response from my step dad. It has now been a full day. One thing I can for sure say is if that was my kid...willing to reach out and be vulnerable I would have picked up the phone and called or at least returned a text
Old 07-15-2021, 07:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You know, I'm so glad you are talking about this and I understand pushing it aside. I also get how the wanting to be with someone who will care and pay attention, I think that is very natural.

Yes, I'm so glad you have therapy tomorrow, this is something you can get out there and hash out and maybe you will be given tools to frame it and deal with the hurt. Just as with your ex, how your parents treated you (or didn't) isn't about you, you are not and never were less than.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello. I just made an account to respond to you. I had to.

You are not alone. My mother left me and my dad when I was a teenager, attempted suicide a year or so later after pulling some seriously crazy stuff, and it was like no one even thought about me. Because I would be fine. I was always fine. So I kept on being fine. And making sure everyone else was fine.

I am just starting to realize over the past 5 years or so (I’m mid 40’s, so started to realize things had never been normal about the same age as you) that the way I grew up and how I was treated was not ok. I’m not fine. I can’t make everyone else fine. I’ve tried, really really hard, and it’s not fine.

So, outside looking in, everything is just great. I turned out great. Made all the right choices, worked hard, married smart (LOL). The truth is, it’s all unraveling and I don’t even know where to start or what to do.

I have made hard choices. I have, at times, unbearable guilt for things I truly had no control over. I was raised with so much guilt and obligation, I can logically know something is out of my control and still really think I should have been able to influence a better outcome.

I just want you to know your story is helping me, and I’m sure many others. You are strong and amazing and you also have the right to be vulnerable and sad and just want someone to tell you it will all be ok. And it will. It will be ok. But it still sucks. And your ex sucks. And your mom as step dad are clueless. And it’s ok to be disappointed and sad about that too.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mylifeismine View Post
Kaya, I am sorry you are feeling so much pain and sadness. It is so
hard when truthful insights from our lives hit like a sunami.

I think you are handling it well so stay strong and take one day at a time.
This was so helpful to me when I was struggling

https://self-compassion.org/the-thre...-compassion-2/

What if you need to see your therapist more often for a few weeks?
Can you go to in person alanon meetings? Face to face is good now.
You will get to a better place, you will be ok (((hugs))). The old way
is collapsing and the new will slowly unfold for you. Get all the
support you can.
Thank you My therapist is only available every 10 days or so ( he is maxed out and doesn't take new patients anymore)...but I have been seeing him for a year now and love him. I just joined another group where there are therapists on a sliding scale financially so I have a meeting with one next week ... I can go to alanon meetings in person... I will look into some
Old 07-15-2021, 07:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by puppyluv21 View Post
Hello. I just made an account to respond to you. I had to.

You are not alone. My mother left me and my dad when I was a teenager, attempted suicide a year or so later after pulling some seriously crazy stuff, and it was like no one even thought about me. Because I would be fine. I was always fine. So I kept on being fine. And making sure everyone else was fine.

I am just starting to realize over the past 5 years or so (I’m mid 40’s, so started to realize things had never been normal about the same age as you) that the way I grew up and how I was treated was not ok. I’m not fine. I can’t make everyone else fine. I’ve tried, really really hard, and it’s not fine.

So, outside looking in, everything is just great. I turned out great. Made all the right choices, worked hard, married smart (LOL). The truth is, it’s all unraveling and I don’t even know where to start or what to do.

I have made hard choices. I have, at times, unbearable guilt for things I truly had no control over. I was raised with so much guilt and obligation, I can logically know something is out of my control and still really think I should have been able to influence a better outcome.

I just want you to know your story is helping me, and I’m sure many others. You are strong and amazing and you also have the right to be vulnerable and sad and just want someone to tell you it will all be ok. And it will. It will be ok. But it still sucks. And your ex sucks. And your mom as step dad are clueless. And it’s ok to be disappointed and sad about that too.
Oh my god.... Thank you for this. Thank you for relating.. Thank you for making an account to respond... I am floored to learn people care so much....this forum is so amazing... I swear ...I am trying to be as open with my thoughts as possible and not cater to the inner me that wants to say "it is fine I will be ok".....cause you are right...it is not ok dammit .... The dammit is a bit extreme I relate so much with this sentence

"I can logically know something is out of my control and still really think I should have been able to influence a better outcome." this is me everyday at work and I am a wedding planner..... so things happen and it is on rare occassions I can't "save the day" like if the grooms brother gets ********* at barfs on the dance floor (which has happened) ...I still will somehow blame myself ....so I get you and hear you...
Old 07-15-2021, 07:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

By they way...in case anyone is wondering....he never responded...nor did my mom.... I am not surprised at all
Old 07-16-2021, 04:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh man, if damnit is extreme I may need to stop posting. I can barely craft a sentence irl without swearing 😂
Old 07-17-2021, 02:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You might really enjoy Pia Mellody’s book, Facing Codependence. It has a lot about growing up in environments where we somehow internalize that it’s not safe to ask for help in having our needs/wants met, environments with no stability or safety yet in developmental years, and how internalizing that can result in some messed up patterns—including antidependence as well as codependence…
Old 07-17-2021, 04:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

edoering----are you speaking of counterdependency as being the same thing as antidependence? If so--I think it is an interesting theory---one that might be very fruitful for discussion on this forum. A kind of "fear of intimacy?"
OMG---I think that this patttern is very common--and, not just in addiction circles.
OMG....I think I grew up in a place where the whole darn community had it!!...lol.

Is the afticle in the following link what you are talking about?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ter-dependency