Notices

How Do I Start?

Old 12-10-2004, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How Do I Start?

I know, just don't drink today. But I certainly need help and support and I'm afraid to ask for it. I mean, my husband definately knows I drink too much, but if we don't discuss it, the problem just sort of gets ignored. What happens if I admit to him that I have a problem, and then I'm not successful at stopping? Am I laying too much on myself? How do I get started? What should I expect physically and emotionally over the next day, week, month, if I am able to stop? I have a good husband, three beautiful young daughters, a decent job, and a nice home. Nothing awful has happened to me because of my drinking, although I have been doing it for twenty years. I know that it is just a matter of time, the idea that I am waiting for that horrible event to happen in order to face my addiction is ridiculous.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wanttotry.......I'm just a few days ahead of you. Stopped drinking Tuesday morning. Your post (without the kids) could have been written by me!

You might want to try a search on my name here.......as I've asked the same questions and answered a few along my way.

I have proven to date, it can be done. One hour at a time still for me but it seems to be working. How much do you drink? What type of alcohol? I think answers depend on these issues.

No one knew how bad my problem was, except me. I saw I was going deeper and deeper into alcoholism, one day at a time. Did a full reversal in my mind, one day at a time to not drink. But I will tell you, that even though you will feel crappy for the next few days it does lessen. And that first day after, when you wake up sober? It's like a little miracle. I look for that feeling every morning now and it's always there.

Come here often, read as much as you can, especially in the beginners forum. It helped me see I was and am not alone in this quest.

Prayers and hugs to you!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SammyMae

You have already done the hardest part already by admitting you have a problem. The second thing you need to do now is find a meeting to go to. There is a number in your phone book for intergroup or Alcoholics anonymous ask them about a womens meeting in your area or any meeting. There will be someone there that will be able to help you. We call them sponsors and they teach us the steps out of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. I have been sober 3 years now and the first thing I did was call 8373 club and tell the other lady on the end of the line I needed help and I didnt know how to get started. She picked me up and in my case took me to a womens detox place where I met other women like me struggling to get sober.I stayed there for ten days and went to meetings 3 times a day for ten days and then went to a meeting 1 a day for 90. I have never looked back. If a habitual relapser like myself can recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body you can too and the people in aa can teach you our simple program. I am sure your husband would want what is best for you and if your anything like me I didnt think I could stay stopped either but I have and my life is wonderful today. We take this program one day at a time sometimes one hour , 5 minutes or 1 minute at a time. Dont look at it as I have to do this for the rest of my life just look at it as one day at time. In my case I admitted I had a problem found a sponsor started my steps and I have not had to take a drink since. You dont have to be on skid row to be an alcoholic and be greatful that unlike a lot of us you havnt lost everything yet. The key word being yet because if you do have this disease and you do continue drinking or using those yets will become reality. So I encourage you to find your nearest aa group and get in contact with some women who can and will help you. It will be the start of a wonderful life you could have never imagined. I am proof that this program work and I hope you keep coming back.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You just made a big step by coming here, congratulations. I too am in your shoes. I was at the point where I couldnt even do one hour at a time, it was more like 5 min at a time. I was so afraid to admit to anyone that I had a problem. Then one day I when I couldnt take it anymore, I came here and got great support. But I was scared to death to tell my husband, I was sure he was going to scream and yell or throw me out. But I did tell him everything because I had to be true to myself and it would prove what our love was about, and I found that he was supportative and not stupid (he knew all along). That really did help me alot.

If you arnt ready to tell your husband than try AA first or try a counsiler who specilizes in this kinda behavior. I think your ready to start because you came here.

Just remember you deserve happiness, strength and anything else you desire. Remember you are a good person, be true to yourself first.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((((((((IWantToTry))))))))))))
LOL not to be too obnoxious ........ but when I quit "trying" and started "doing", by getting into action & picking up the phone, amazing things began to happen. Doing what was suggested, like attending a few AA meetings and asking for help really helps and the drinking problem seemed to disappear when I focused on AA's solution.

I had many of the same questions you've asked easily answered by folks who had also been where I was and found a way out. Good luck and put one foot in front of the other or dial one number at a time and call the local AA hotline which ought to be listed in your phone book.

(((((((((((IWantToTry))))))))))))) U R Worth It!
3Legs
Old 12-10-2004, 10:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ama

3 Legs said it all - time to stop trying and just DO.......Do is an action Verb!!!!! It didnt work when I just "tried" either......

Get to an AA meeting if you can.......Read and post threads here too. Put a recovery structure in place for yourself and abide by it.......And I wish you sobriety and happiness.... Luvs Ama
Old 12-10-2004, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Recognizing your problem

It took me a long time to admit to myself that I had a problem with alcohol and that my life had become unmanageable.
Even after I started going to meetings I didn't want to admit that my life was out of control because of MY drinking.
The problems in my life were because of other people.

So you are much farther than I was when I stopped using alcohol. You already know what your problem is and are willing to admit it. That is such a big step and one that you are already facing. :bravo

Start going to meetings in your area. Check out several at first; then you will find the group that you feel the most comfortable in and make that one your home group. Don't worry if it takes awhile to feel at home; it will come.

Get the phone numbers of several women to call when at the meetings and use them. Please do call. They can't help you if you don't reach out to them. And the rest will fall into place.

Good Luck !!!!!!!
I am praying for you
Remember One Day at a Time

September