Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Why Are Amost All l Forums on SR 'PRIVATE', except the 'Secular Recovery''forum?

Why Are Amost All l Forums on SR 'PRIVATE', except the 'Secular Recovery''forum?

Old 06-03-2021, 04:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just wondering why the whole world can view the Secular Recovery forum (plus Family and Friends) wheas all the other forums rare 'PRIVATE' and require an SR Membership and logging-in, to enable access to them?
Old 06-03-2021, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The plan was to make all the forums private - I.e. log into read - eventually.

I’m a volunteer not an employee so I don’t know why the process has stalled.

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 06-03-2021, 10:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, I hope they make this forum private soon, so that we're afforded the same privacy along with the majority. I can see no benefit of it remaining public, if the other forums aren't. If someone wishes to explore stopping drinking, then surely they'll become a member? Is there an SR employee you could point me in the direction of?
Old 06-03-2021, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
Thanks Dee, I hope they make this forum private soon, so that we're afforded the same privacy along with the majority. I can see no benefit of it remaining public, if the other forums aren't. If someone wishes to explore stopping drinking, then surely they'll become a member? Is there an SR employee you could point me in the direction of?
My inclination would be to continue as it is now. AVRT is SO different from other programs that it makes sense to leave this subforum open. AVRT does NOT involve getting into any personal, private, human issues in the short process of learning and coming up to speed with using the Technique.
Trimpey has always emphasized that AVRT is learning a simple skill, an art based on the lore of self-recovery, and is not just like taking a class, it IS just taking a class at an independent study speed.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
My inclination would be to continue as it is now. AVRT is SO different from other programs that it makes sense to leave this subforum open.
I am not so inclined, GT. Secular Recovery on SR, does not appear to be intended for only AVRT, of which you speak. I also believe that AV recognition is openly discussed throughout the Newcomers forums and the Alcoholism forum, so why would those AV observants be afforded privacy, whereas people in Secular Recovery, are not thus protected?
Old 06-03-2021, 12:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am not so inclined, GT. Secular Recovery on SR, does not appear to be intended for only AVRT, of which you speak. I also believe that AV recognition is openly discussed throughout the Newcomers forums and the Alcoholism forum, so why would those AV observants be afforded privacy, whereas people in Secular Recovery, are not thus protected?
I’m not a lawyer, so I don’t understand the nuances of closing the forums from the general public view, but I believe that’s probably behind it. I believe all these forums would do well to remain open to view. But like I said, I don’t know much about how it’s all being run and the various risks and liabilities.

Fusion,
Have you considered setting up a wordpress forum or something like you’d like to see being offered?
GT
Old 06-03-2021, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fusion, Have you considered setting up a wordpress forum or something like you’d like to see being offered? GT
No, but I'm interested in why you raised that proposition.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No, but I'm interested in why you raised that proposition.
More than anyone else I’m aware of here on SR, you’ve tried to get things changed around.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

More than anyone else I’m aware of here on SR, you’ve tried to get things changed around.
I'm genuinely perplexed by this statement, GT. Examples?

Old 06-03-2021, 01:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm genuinely perplexed by this statement, GT. Examples?
Just off the top of my head:
You tried to find out who I was or wasn’t.
You tried to change the name of the Permanent Abstinence subforum.
You tried to change the wording of the Big Plan.
But I think that was all when you were still maintenance drinking, not sure, though, never can be on SR.

None of this is a real concern to me as it allows people to RE-Cognize what’s being attempted and is it AV or not. I just hope you’re not stuck in a rut somewhere in your addiction.
That’s why I tossed out the idea like you once asked me if I might write a book.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I reckon you two could argue about the motivation of flies crawling up a wall.

Many projects have stalled over 2020-21 for very obvious reasons.
This conjecture is pointless.

I’ll pass on your concerns.

Thread closed.

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 06-09-2021, 06:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

The transition was to be done in stages. This is not the only forum that is still public.
There are several others.
The reason for the changes is to make sure people can find the site when searching.
Some of the public forums were hindering the search results.
If we want to keep the forum open we need to make sure the business side of the site is also working efficiently.
They know what they are doing and nothing is a mistake.