Unsteady walk and confusion

Old 05-09-2021, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unsteady walk and confusion

My AB has been in and out of rehab for over 10 years. He ended up in ICU during detox several years ago. He typically starts drinking a week or less after exiting treatment. About 18 months ago after getting out of rehab he found out he had throat cancer. Pretty sure he continued drinking and smoking throughout treatment (although he is an expert in deception). Finished treatment about a year ago but continues to have difficulty eating and has continued drinking and smoking.

For the past month he has had days where he is unable to walk, says he is dizzy and basically has to hold on to something to walk. At this point the dizziness/unsteady walking is a daily thing. He is also lethargic, super skinny and sleeps most of the day. He has been to his general doctor and his ENT doc, they have referred him for a VNG test to check on vestibular disfunction but that test is 3 weeks down the road. I am sure he isn't telling the doctors about his drinking. And he doesn't share information from the doctor with the family. I'm worried about Wernicke's Encephalopathy. Has anyone's loved one had difficulty walking and confusion like this?
Old 05-10-2021, 10:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That diagnosis could certainly be a possibility, Lalam. However, while a specific diagnosis might have some bearing on his life, I'm not sure it will or should on yours.

It's going to be more useful if you can post about yourself and your situation, rather than your qualifier's problems and possible condition. His issues are his, and as much as you may care, you cannot save him. That's gotta come from him. However, you can most certainly save yourself, if you're interested in doing so. With help from Alanon and the folks here, I was able to change my life for the better in a lot of important ways, regardless of what the alcoholic in my life did or didn't do, and I'm willing to bet you can do the same if you so choose.

Hope you come back to read and post. Also hoping you make the effort to attend some Alanon meetings. There IS a better way.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that he continued to smoke and drink despite the health condition. Since we all codies, its very hard to give upon that. Please read as much as you can from the Forum.
Originally Posted by Lalam View Post
My AB has been in and out of rehab for over 10 years. He ended up in ICU during detox several years ago. He typically starts drinking a week or less after exiting treatment. About 18 months ago after getting out of rehab he found out he had throat cancer. Pretty sure he continued drinking and smoking throughout treatment (although he is an expert in deception). Finished treatment about a year ago but continues to have difficulty eating and has continued drinking and smoking.

For the past month he has had days where he is unable to walk, says he is dizzy and basically has to hold on to something to walk. At this point the dizziness/unsteady walking is a daily thing. He is also lethargic, super skinny and sleeps most of the day. He has been to his general doctor and his ENT doc, they have referred him for a VNG test to check on vestibular disfunction but that test is 3 weeks down the road. I am sure he isn't telling the doctors about his drinking. And he doesn't share information from the doctor with the family. I'm worried about Wernicke's Encephalopathy. Has anyone's loved one had difficulty walking and confusion like this?
Old 05-11-2021, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to read what is going on in your life.

I would gently encourage you to step back and think about whether you want to continue to be caught up in his situation.

What would you like for yourself, how would you like your life to be? Perhaps you deserve better than this.