Keep fighting for yourself

Old 04-03-2021, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keep fighting for yourself

Someone else posted their journey to happiness and it inspired me to share my own.

I joined this forum in 2017. I was 28, newly married, and miserable. It was the lowest point of my life-- I can't even read my old posts, it feels like a different lifetime. Somehow, through the help of this wonderful community and friends/family, I gathered the courage to finally leave. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my entire life. I lived on my best friend's couch for a month and had $50 in my bank account. I had no furniture and got almost nothing from my ex. I moved into my own apartment shortly after and experienced living alone for the first time ever. It was scary, and then it was liberating. I remember one evening sitting down alone in my cute living room, with things I'd bought all on my own, eating a meal I had made, watching what I wanted on the TV, and feeling this quiet moment of pride and contentment.

This April marks two years since I walked away from that relationship. This past January marks one year since our divorce was finalized. I bought a new car, the nicest one I've ever owned. I started grad school last year...I have a 4.0 and am two semesters away from obtaining my master's in my field. I'll finally be making a generous salary. I lost 30lbs and am in the greatest shape of my life. Sometimes I look in the mirror and am like 'wow, who is that babe?'...kidding . But really, I feel the happiest and most fulfilled I have in years. All my friends and family have told me I glow now, that they've watched me blossom without this heavy weight of my ex and his alcoholism dragging me down.

Best of all? I am a few months into the healthiest relationship of my life with an amazing partner.

This life was worth all the pain, struggle, and heartache I went through to get here. I didn't think I could do it, but I did. You can too. It's brighter on the other side, I promise.

Edit: Should also add I've been NC with my ex for over a year. Highly recommend.

Last edited by emmab219; 04-03-2021 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Extra info
Old 04-03-2021, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a gorgeous update. Congratulations!!!
Old 04-03-2021, 05:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m so happy to hear that YOU’RE happy! Such an inspiring update, you rock!
Old 04-03-2021, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A really awesome update, good for you!
Old 04-04-2021, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lovely to read your update, Emma. A treat to read it.
Old 11-10-2021, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living in the moment

Emma, congrats.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on creating your new life! Inspiring post.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this inspiring story...wishing you all the best! Really put a smile on my face today!