Notices

My first freak out!!! My story so far.

Old 12-08-2004, 11:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first freak out!!! My story so far.

:shysmile:

So I'm trying to get on the bandwagon with this issue of mine. Been drinking wine - lots of it every day for years. Lately it's been worse inbibing.

So this weekend, I read a lot of the posts on this board and am getting inspired. Thought to myself, I'm ready to give this wine up. I don't even really like it anymore, it's just a bad habit I've got into. So what do I do? I go and drink more wine on Monday night than I ever did. (didn't realize even thinking about quitting would bring the monster out so quickly).

Woke up yesterday morning with the worst hangover I've ever had. Knew I had to quit, but after reading so many posts about "don't stop cold turkey or your brain will explode", I decided to try to limit my consumption over the next few days and wean off until I can stop completely.

Lots of yucky feelings all day, but I took some aspirin and a hot shower, and held off any drink until dinner last night. Just had two small glasses over about a 2 hour tilmeframe. Then just drank juice/water and fruit all night.

Woke up this morning feeling better, no shakes, just a slight headache residual from yesterday morning. Decided I can handle the slight withdrawal and figured out that I had one bottle of wine still in the basement cooler. This will last me, with 2 drinks tonight, then one tomorrow and Friday. By Saturday, I should have withdrawn enough to just stop on Saturday for good.

Good plan, wrong inventory! I went to just bring that last bottle up and found there wasn't one left.......there is none. Embarrassed to say I caught myself doing that addict dance of checking everywhere in the basement, in the fridge, under the cabinets. Nada. ACCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK!!!

Within minutes, I'm already thinking I didn't want to go to the store for more....but now I have to. Stopped myself to come here and ask for your prayers.

I'm still nervous about detoxing so quickly to nothing, but I really wish I could just quit today and never buy that next bottle. Doc is on vacation and I have not discussed this problem or his recommendation. Won't see him until a week Monday, when the next appointment is made.

If I didn't freak out or brain explode last night, am I safe to just abstain from here on in. Shakes seem to be almost gone and the headache is just slight.

If you can just say a prayer, positive message, I'm hoping I can get to where I wanted sooner. Maybe it was God's answer to my quest to hide/steal that last bottle?

Thx!
Old 12-08-2004, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe your all set, and you don't need that last bottle. Let's asume so. I also am trying to wean, I thought I could do the cold turkey thing, I have in the past, but this time seems so difficult. If I make it and I must, this will be the absolute last time I put me through this. I hope the same is true for you, bruised. You are ahead of the game now. Stay there. Hugs`Marilyn
Old 12-08-2004, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((((bruised ego))))

You are definately in my prayers, consider that done. Do you have someone to sit with you, or someone to call in case it gets too bad? If you only had 2 drinks yesterday and were ok, you should be ok to quit altogether. I would also suggest drinking a lot of water so you don't dehydrate. Take care of yourself, and post here as often as you need to.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Connie

Hi, from a fellow wino. I had my last drink on October 4, loved my wine! Lots of water, decent food, and rest seemed to help me. These past two months have been amazing, thanks to AA. I feel like a brand new girl!!! Hang in there and remember this board is always open; theres always someone to talk to. What a wonderful thing you are doing for yourself.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your responses. I actually just told my husband I have a problem I'm dealing with and we talked it thru. He said he was proud of me and he'll do whatever needs to be done to help me. He told me not to worry about the DT's as I'm not drinking wild turkey et al and wine has a lower alcohol content than straight alcohol. Also that I don't drink that much (what a good little sneak I"ve been that he doesn't realize what a drinker I've become). {ashamed}

But I came out and told him the truth, that I"ve been drinking every night and a lot more than he knows of. He was grateful I was honest and told me he was with me all of the way. He doesn't drink at all, but both of families included many alcoholics so he's not in the dark about how dangerous fate can be to us.

Anyway, I feel good that I was open with him at last. I also told my best friend last night and she said she'll support me all the way too (as long as she doesn't have to stop completely too

You all give me more courage by proving your own than I thought I had in me.

Thanks and keep those prayers coming?? And right back atcha!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bruised,

It seems like you have lots of support and that elusive wine bottle was not meant to be found. Consider it a sign! I hope you keep visiting and let us know how you're doing.

Love, Anna