Say When It's Time For A Change

Old 01-10-2021, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Say When It's Time For A Change

SAY WHEN IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE

Eventually, enough is enough. We have held on to our broken dream until it has become a weight on our back, held on to our broken relationship until we cannot find the strength to give it another go, and clung to expectations, fears, worries, and chains until we can’t stand the strain any longer.

We’re at a crossroads. One path leads further into familiar territory. The other path leads to a breakthrough. What lies on the other side, we can’t see.

It’s the void, the unknown, the unknowable.

This isn’t death. It’s a rebirth, an awakening as profound as that moment when sobriety first takes hold of the lifelong drunk. Or when the confused codependent takes those first steps of self-care.

Are you willing to risk it? Have you reached the point yet where enough is enough? Or will you take the other, more familiar path back to continue rehashing what you’ve already been through? Sometimes it’s easier to stay with our limitations and with what doesn’t work. At least then we know what to expect.

Take a chance. Try something new. Go ahead. Step on that new path, even though you’re not certain where it will lead. See! Right around the bend is a glowing light. The new path may not be any easier to walk than the old path, but this new road will lead to joy.

For now it’s enough to be willing to change.

To do that, step into the void.

God, help me see the things that I need to let go of to continue my growth. Help me walk away from what’s comfortable and known into the unknown and what I can’t see or predict.

From the desk of Melody Beattie
Old 01-12-2021, 08:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this. I needed it today.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ann -- that's a good share for the new year. Thank you so much.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Are you willing to risk it? Have you reached the point yet where enough is enough? Or will you take the other, more familiar path back to continue rehashing what you’ve already been through? Sometimes it’s easier to stay with our limitations and with what doesn’t work. At least then we know what to expect.

This touched a familiar chord with me, I hit my "enough" point suddenly and completely in one night, before that I was waiting for my son to say "enough" and change, stop his addiction and find a better life. In the end, only "I" could change and find a better path and I am forever grateful for the pain that led me to know that I had to change, or lose my mind stuck where I was.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
and I am forever grateful for the pain that led me to know that I had to change, or lose my mind stuck where I was.
I so can relate!

Pain. Not what we seek. Sometimes what is needed.

Through the journey of cancer and healing since 2019 -- I've read and treasure and continue to read and absorb shares by those who have suffered similarly.

Fortunately, I am blessed to have a SIL, who is keenly aware of God working in her life while sharing the Good News. She had reached out to me after my surgery and had passed on these little books with hopeful messages and guidance.

I let my SIL know I am grateful that she reached out to me, that she and her church community were so kind and supportive.

Having walked through that emotional and physical pain, I now more than ever do believe that with God, all things are possible.

Have a great day, Ann. I am hoping you are faring well through the big challenges you and hubby have faced. God bless you.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thanks Anaya. God has seen me through 6 years of cancer that is manageable but not curable (but with which I can live a long time) , and heart issues that were repaired a month or so ago. I would not have the faith and courage I have today if I had not walked the path that took me from hopelessness to belief that God's got me covered. So I am walking with you, on a better path for both of us.

We don't need to stay stuck in our codependent ways, there is a light that will guide us out of the darkness called addiction. It's up to us to keep walking and praying and listening to those who walked before us.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post

We don't need to stay stuck in our codependent ways, there is a light that will guide us out of the darkness called addiction. It's up to us to keep walking and praying and listening to those who walked before us.
Yes. I will continue with walking forward, praying, and listening.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Having walked through that emotional and physical pain, I now more than ever do believe that with God, all things are possible.

Me too, Anaya. And look at us, we're still here!!
Old 02-17-2021, 04:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"And look at us, we're still here." Yes, we are, and thanks be to God.

OT a bit but just want to share my gratitude: Husband had a heart procedure yesterday, and long story short, everyone and everything clicked into place, and he's on the journey of healing.

The folks, who work in healthcare facilities are amazing. While imagining what they have gone through personally and professionally over the past year, having been deemed essential and having to get up and get going to help others every day, while putting themselves at risk but still forging ahead and staying committed...for those folks and all that they do, I am so very thankful and grateful.

I pray for healing, hope, and courage for all, who are isolated, fearful and in need of help these days -- that they might reach out, that they might be given a hand, and that they might find a way to a better place. It truly has been a year the whole world will not soon forget.