I feel I could lose my son please advise me.

Old 12-18-2020, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question I feel I could lose my son please advise me.

I'm very new. My daughter gave me this link. Last night we had a family gathering to find out the sex of my son's new baby. It was a wonderful, exciting time when we saw the BLUE bits of paper falling from the burst balloon because they already have little Jade and now will have a boy. Un fortunately my son looked and acted very strangely and we guessed he had been drinking quite a lot before coming. I had 3 stubbies in the fridge which he started drinking then he disappeared into the garage. His behaviour was all about him and he wasn't listening to anyone else. My son in law discovered he was drinking a full bottle of wine in the fridge there. My son I law and partner got so angry and told him off. My partner told him he's not welcome to his party tomorrow. we were supposed to have an early Christmas on Sunday before my daughter leaves to go to their home 8 hours north. I'm so upset and haven't heard from my son since. I love having all my family around me and am just so upset. He seems to get worse with drinking at this time of year but won't get help. My daughter's say I have to have boundaries. I feel i could lose my son and don't know what to do.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Jenel - and congrats on your impending grandson
I'm sorry for what brings you here but this is a place of great support.

I think it's important to realise you're not driving these events or making them happen - your son, and his behaviour, is.

Sometimes some tough love works, and sometimes it doesn't. Only time will tell.
I hope that your son will take stock after he sobers up to think about what he's doing, not only to you but to his growing family.

D
Old 12-18-2020, 03:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Arrow Your message of support

Thank you Dee 74. It's so good to get support and your wise words of comfort.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was the alcoholic but you know, I turned it around. I hope your son will do the same

D
Old 12-18-2020, 03:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lucky family! Well done indeed.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Jenel,
It has been over 2 years since I have seen my son. Around that time, I said something about how mean he gets when he drinks. I also asked that he not come to our home drunk or hungover, as he had done previously. He decided that I needed to be cut out of his life rather than change his behavior or get help. I love him so much, and I miss him, but I believe with all my heart, that it is only by suffering the consequences of his behavior that he will perhaps seek recovery from alcoholism. Other family members pretend all is well, but that helps them not to deal with it...doesn't help him at all. It hurts to be in this situation, but I have faith and am hopeful that things will get better. I wish the same for you and your family. I am glad you posted here. This is a wonderful place to find support, and experience and wisdom and compassion.