Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

Help! Meth Issue: Need advice on an employee with a meth addiction

Old 12-08-2020, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have an employee that has been working for my family for years. Members of his family have made comments about it or alluded to a meth issue and I had heard from my family member that he did in fact have a problem. This family member of mine hired him years ago and seemed to know his limitations. He had been a really good working and seemed kind, respectful. What I did know was that sometimes, he just would just not show up for work or would show up sick or start vomiting at work or he’d get moody and leave in the middle of a job...no explanation.He is very thin. If he gets any skinnier, he won’t exist.

However, I always thought he was very nice and never was concerned in a way that scared me.

Last night, he turned from the mr jekyll to mr hyde - a person i didn’t know. Suddenly, he revealed that he had this building anger inside toward me, paranoia feelings and hatred. He ranted that “i don't trust him and why did i choose to do this or that. Is it because i don't trust him and I'm lying to him”. He demanded to come get something that he left here. I said its not a good time and offered to wait an hour. He was rude and disrespectful in his delivery. He said ... ahhh, no, Im coming now.

This was not the person I thought I knew...not at all. I was shocked. He’d never acted this way over the years i knew him.

Is this a sign of meth use or withdraw and if so, will he return to normal after a few days.Im a bit scared and not sure how to move forward. I did trust him more until this incident. Now, my guard it heightened.

I could use some advice on this and how i should handle it ... and what i might expect from this point forward.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It seems to me that perhaps the meth issue is not relevant in this situation. Would you accept that kind of behavior from an employee who was NOT rumored to have a meth addiction?

There is no checklist anyone can give you on how an addict will behave. All you really have to go on is how he behaved last night -- it is either acceptable, or unacceptable, and whether you think there is any acceptable excuse for it.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It’s relevant in that I need to be aware of how to handle him in the future. Get some tips, heads up, warnings, what to watch out for, how to recognize if he is in withdraw or using or what. I want to continue working with him, but i have to keep my guard up and educate myself. Like I said, this personality change is not the norm for him, but maybe it will become the norm ... If so, i kind of need to get a heads up
Old 12-08-2020, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are in danger, your business is in danger, and the rest of your employees are in danger. Meth causes unspeakable evil. Consider this event a small predictor of what's to come. You ain't seen nothing yet. But be aware that there are protections for addicts in many states. Tread carefully or you may wind up paying a hefty rehab bill/ being sued for discrimination against someone with a disease. Speaking to an attorney may be wise. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi There
I would have to say, that I wouldn't choose to employ someone in active addiction.
You truly may be putting yourself and the business at risk, plus he is unreliable.
All drugs are mind altering, but my experiencee with my son, has been that some have a more devastating impact on personality and behaviours. They appear to lose total control of it - putting you in a very vulnerable and dangerous situation. You won't know when the bomb is going to go off.
Of course, the choice is yours to make, but I would consider this very carefully to protect yourself and the business that you have worked hard for.
Much Love
Bute x
Old 12-08-2020, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hec, what kind of “unspeakable evil”. For four years, the issues seem to pass and then he is okay again? He's just never been this rude before.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with sparklekitty, either this behaviour from him is acceptable or it isn't.

Are there are any circumstances where you might accept this behaviour from anyone (friend, family or employee) what would those circumstances be?

When you say he ranted, I assume you mean to you. Is that ok? He then barges in on you when you asked him to wait, is that ok, meth or no meth?

You are probably scared now, is that ok (again, meth or no meth).

This is really about boundaries, what you will or will not allow in your life and how you wish to be treated. It might be a good idea to talk to him about it?
Old 12-11-2020, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seekingadvice2 View Post
Hec, what kind of “unspeakable evil”. For four years, the issues seem to pass and then he is okay again? He's just never been this rude before.
It is a progressive disease. The fact that he has been able to "control" it in the past means nothing. But you seem to be really invested in this person. So I wish you the best.