Notices

Hi, I'm new here.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm new here.

According ty my history I was here before several years ago. I should have stayed. I have graduated from alcohol abuse to alcohol dependence. I drink even when I dont want to. It's just not fun anymore. I may be starting a new job soon and they deserve to have the best me I can give them. I dont want to spend another 4 day weekend drunk. I really want to be a non-drinker. Life is so much better when you feel good! I have talked to a counsler and have a prescription waiting for me but I have to do labs first which terrifies me.

Every time I do labs I get a bunch of frantic phone calls because of my levels. Which is mostly due to alcohol. Has anybody had success with medications that are supposed to help with the cravings?
Old 11-23-2020, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi lucky1s - It's so good to have you join us. This is the best place ever for encouragement as you get free of your alcohol dependence. (I have not taken meds for cravings.)
I was the same as you - a social drinker who became an abuser, & then dependent. In the end, I drank every day & couldn't imagine my life without it. When I came to SR I loved the openness & honesty. Everyone had the same fears & challenges that I had. The discussions immediately lowered my anxiety level. It didn't take long before I found the courage to change my life. You can do it too.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Erica375

Welcome, Lucky! Your name is perfect because we are truly the lucky ones. May not feel like it at first, but I truly believe we are fortunate because we recognize we have a problem and are willing to address it. The "poor unfortunate souls" (been watching a lot of Disney movies) are those who are still out there, still drinking and denying reality.
Glad to see you here!
Old 11-23-2020, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back lucky1s

I‘d look at it this way with the labs: if you get the labs done, and get the prescription that your P doc wants you on Your life can change, your alcohol problem can be addresses and you will never have to be worried about labs again

D
Old 11-23-2020, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How's it going, Lucky? Thinking of you.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
p***enger

Welcome, lucky1! I've never used a drug to reduce cravings or anything. For me, once the physical withdrawal was over, it seemed necessary to overcome the addiction mentally. But there are people on SR who've used medical methods, and I'm sure you'll find them.

Wishing you well!
Old 11-23-2020, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back Lucky!

I am also returning to sober recovery and couldn’t be more grateful for a place that really makes me feel heard and accepted. We’re all going through this! I think by you taking the steps needed by your physician it’ll become clearer on why you’re here. To become healthy, happy, and sober is the ultimate goal!
Old 11-23-2020, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back Lucky!

I am also returning to sober recovery and couldn’t be more grateful for a place that really makes me feel heard and accepted. We’re all going through this! I think by you taking the steps needed by your physician it’ll become clearer on why you’re here. To become healthy, happy, and sober is the ultimate goal!
Old 11-24-2020, 12:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back to SR lucky

I've not used medication to reduce cravings but know someone who has and it worked for them. If you continue to remain alcohol-free then, as Dee has posted, in future you won't need to be worried about labs again.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody. Today is my day one. I have a 5 day weekend coming up and I do not want to spend it drunk. Best wishes to you all and Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2020, 08:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've never used any meds, but I relate to a lot of what you said.
I don't want to spend this weekend drunk either. I wish you the best!
Old 11-25-2020, 01:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I believe in miracles :)

Congrats on your day 1! You can make it. I am day 18. My doctor put me on meds (my blood work is OK except my vit D level), mostly because I am depressive. Stay around, everyone is super supportive here
Old 11-25-2020, 01:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Millions of people have quit drinking without medications. I highly recommend AA meetings for help.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hoping it's going well, lucky. Thinking of you.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on day one

D