Notices

Question

Old 12-05-2004, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Question

Does exercise help stabilize and improve moods in early recovery? Does it help to lessen the depression and anxiety faster? How does exercise affect brain chemicals? Just wondering because I'm gonna start running again.

Dixie
Old 12-05-2004, 08:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It most certainly does. It releases endorphins which is a feel good chemical for the brain. It can also help you think more clearly al well.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

I have to confirm from my personal experiance a MOST DEFINITLY, a good read on the physiological aspects of our disease is Under the Influence, can find it in most second hand book stores.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Find something you enjoy and do it. It makes you feel a lot better. eat right, sleep right. If, you have gymn or somewhere you can work out. Taking a good fast walk doesn't require more then good shoes. I strongly urge it. Get someone that's a good friend to go with you it goes a lot better that way
Old 12-05-2004, 11:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have to tell you that when I quit tranqulisers I thought for sure I would never stop panicking, but then my mother got me to walk three miles and day and my bodies natural endorphins were better than any drug. I was so relaxed and confident again

I have slipped back into other drugs and I am joining a gym and yoga to get those endorphans back, there is no greater high than you natural endorphans. I promise you that you will feel great, and it is so easy. You'll feel better after day 2 of working out.
Good luck and have fun with it
Debby
Old 12-06-2004, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In my experiance excerise can be one of the best anidepressants there is. I fell out of he excercising rutine for a while but then I had to got back into it to help with a lower back pain. And once I started doing just a few minutes of stomache excercises a day I felt better all over for the rest of the day. So I went on to lifting weights getting a steping and sit up machine and started walking. As long as I do about 30 minutes worth of excerise its make the whole day better.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

BIG yes --

But start slowly, to avoid injury. Too many times I've jumped right in (alkie that I am) and got injured or burnt out.

enjoy yourself!

Ken
Old 12-06-2004, 05:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

If exercise helps to increase energy, how do you make yourself get out there and do it if you feel so tired and unmotivated?

I was supposed to go running today but didnt. Maybe tomorrow?
Old 12-06-2004, 05:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Sleep in your sweat suit. That way you'll be all ready to go in the morning. Kidding. I know it's hard to find the motivation when starting an excersise routine. Keep in mind, you'll feel energized after a workout. Take it slow and easy and don't over due it. You'll feel much better after doing so. Excersise is good for the mind, body and soul. Set a time and just do it. Good luck...Gotta run.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY DIXIE,I HAVE GOTTEN MORE ENERGY NOW THAT I'M MORE ACTIVE AND NOT DRINKING.
I RIDE MOUNTAIN BIKE OFTEN,I GET PLENTY OF EXERSISE AT WORK ALSO.
GOOD NUTRITION HELPS AS WELL,LIKE KEN SAID EASY AT FIRST...........ted
Old 12-06-2004, 06:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The Serenity Plus Plan

It is difficult to get started. I remember how hard it was to get motivated and stick with it.

But once you start exercising on a regular basis, you'll feel so much better.

I go to the gym everyday even if it's just to walk on the treadmill. I'm at the gym for about an hour a day and it's worth it!

It's better than spending the five or so hours drinking each night like I used to do!

Richard