Notices

new NA Group, need assistance

Old 12-05-2004, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Yankee Born, Southern Married"

new NA Group, need assistance

Hello all, my name is Ann and I will be celebrating 24 years clean and dry on December 19th, 2004. The last time I drank and got high was the night I received word that my father had died. I come from a family of alcoholics, that is what killed my father. No, he did not die in an accident or as a result of an accident, but of what is called "Oraganic Brain Syndrome". For those that do not know what that is, it is where the alcohol actually eats the brain away until your death. My mom is a recovering alcoholic of 9 years now and I am soooooooooooooo very proud of her. Mom just turned 66 years old last month.

Anyway, the reason I am posting this is for the following:

I have recently been asked to help head an NA group here in my town and I would like to make it very interesting. We have discussed once a month open meetings, birthday meetings, guest speakers, motivationalists and other things, but since we are brand new, we have no funds and are trying to get other ideas. We are an "Open Group", most of the ones that attend right now, are court ordered to do so. See, there is another NA Group in this community but after several of these clients came back telling their P.O.'s of what was happening, they asked myself and another lady if we'd be interested in starting a new group and offered us the use of the Drug Court Conference room to hold our meetings. No employee from the drug courts are in the meetings, they stay up in the front and out of our way.

The town I live in has a population of 4,800 and the closest big town is 56 miles south of here. All we have here is a Wal-Mart and some mom & pop stores, but I love it!

If any of you have any ideas, pelase post them? I will print them out and take them to the meetings with me. Also, if you have any personal messages for these clients, I will also print them and read them out durig a meeting. I need lots of help on ideas though.

I will be looking! GOD BLESS EACH of YOU! Also knwo that in the begining of our meetings, we start with the Serenity Prayer and then a moment of silence for those that still use. You DO have others praying for your recovery whether you know it or not.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

If they are like AA meetings, I know you have to register them. You will recieve a packet full of info. Look for Gooch around here, he's the mod of the NA forum, and knows about all that stuff. If you don't already have it you can get more info at www.na.org Glad your here!
Old 12-05-2004, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We are a registered group, that had to be done before meetings could begin. They sent us, 1 brouchure of each that they had and sent us the information that you are not allowed to receive "donations" of any kind, things of that nature. They also sent a booklet with some ideas in them ( Ones that I listed) but most of the other stuff costs. That is why I am looking for ideas on what to do that does not cost, until we can become financially stable.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

ohhhhhhh, well do you have a birthday night? We have cake auctions that bring in a lot of money on those. Or some of the ladies that are gifted in arts and crafts make things to auction off at the Christmas party, also we do garage sales, where members donate items for sale, and have a garage sale at the club or members house, in the summer we have a luau where everyone dontates food, and charge an entrance fee to cover the minor costs and the remaining funds go to the club, I'll let you know if I think of more, and I'm sure others will be along shortly with their ideas to.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chy
ohhhhhhh, well do you have a birthday night? We have cake auctions that bring in a lot of money on those. Or some of the ladies that are gifted in arts and crafts make things to auction off at the Christmas party, also we do garage sales, where members donate items for sale, and have a garage sale at the club or members house, in the summer we have a luau where everyone dontates food, and charge an entrance fee to cover the minor costs and the remaining funds go to the club, I'll let you know if I think of more, and I'm sure others will be along shortly with their ideas to.
Yes, we will be holding birthday nights. We thought that once a month we could do this and also have it as a "Family & Friends" night. Our group is very tiny right now and we're hoping to be abel to have child care provided IF I can talk the city counsil into allowing me the use of a city facility free of charge for our meetings. All these things that you mention, are they for anyone to attend them or just the group members?