Notices

Think I'm going to drop out of college

Old 10-16-2020, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Think I'm going to drop out of college

I'm just not in the right place for it right now. I'm only 29 days sober and I recently had a siezure. It's a lot of stress for me right now. I'm going to contact my head of dept and ask if i will be able to return next year to complete my degree.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I'm just not in the right place for it right now. I'm only 29 days sober and I recently had a siezure. It's a lot of stress for me right now. I'm going to contact my head of dept and ask if i will be able to return next year to complete my degree.
You know, good for you FF. That sounds like the right move and priortising your health and well-being is the MOST important thing just now. I was in a similar position a few years ago and had to defer for a year. I look back now and it didn't change anything uni wise, it just meant I was in a much better position to cope...

You are doing an awesome job, well done!
Old 10-16-2020, 04:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

I think you've made a good decision here, FF. You need to focus on YOU and your health. College can wait. Rooting for you!
Old 10-16-2020, 05:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Erica375

Excellent choice. You tried so hard to make it work; you are obviously not a slacker! It just wasn't in the cards for this year.

Now you have a year to get everything else straightened out so you can focus on your studies later.

I hope you keep posting so we can all cheer your successes over the coming year. Oh, and congrats on your upcoming 30 days of sobriety!!!
Old 10-16-2020, 05:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

There’s no need for you to make any decisions this minute FF. Just get well first, man.

D
Old 10-16-2020, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
There’s no need for you to make any decisions this minute FF. Just get well first, man.

D
Oct 31 is the deadline before I'm liable to pay fees for the year. So I do have time to decide.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you feel you need time to take care of your health...DO IT.

I know a woman who had it rough growing up. She quit high school and became pregnant. She became a single parent on welfare.

In her mid 20s, she decided she was ready to return to school. I was her counsellor. She completed adult basic education followed by a community studies diploma. She then transferred her college credits to uni and completed a Bachelor's degree.

She's now my colleague, working in the same office and in a similar position as me. Our routes to getting here were on entirely different timelines but we are in the same place.

I'm not saying don't go to school. My point is there is only one person who can decide on your next step...and that is you. If it were me I would also be taking into consideration the advise of my doctor and family.

This is not a race, FF. 29 days of sobriety alone is a tremendous accomplishment!

Old 10-16-2020, 06:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I think it's wise for you to consider taking a year off. You do have some time to decide, so talk to the department head, your doctor, family. I am betting you will be able to go back next year without a problem. I work at a university. We have students return after time off for various reasons all the time. Most of the time, they do much better after taking time off to deal with whatever the issue was. I am glad you are staying sober, and I think it's really smart to consider a pause in your studies to get your health stuff figured out and get some solid sobriety under your belt.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad to hear. I took a year off in college after the first year, for mental health reasons (had an eating disorder) and because I was doubting my choice. It was a very big change when I returned in all areas, including my satisfaction. I knew what I wanted, worked for it hard, did very well at school and was happy throughout the rest of my college years. Congrats on 29 days and I wish you all the best!
Old 10-16-2020, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That is a good decision, I think, freedomfries. Your health is so very important. College will be there next year and you can spend some this off-time reviewing past study materials to keep what you have learned fresh in your mind; a healthy you will be well-prepared for next year.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
nez

Sounds like a sensible decision to me. Clarity of mind and better decision making comes back with sobriety. It feels good to be able to start to trust our inner compass again as it happens. Doing what is right for you at this time, is the right thing to do.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have your priorities straight. In my opinion, you are making a good decision. Sobriety and mental health should always come first without that we have nothing. You can always go back to college later when you are in a better place.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I think it’s a good decision to think about postponing this semester but as you’ve mentioned, you still have a little time to decide. Continue focusing on getting well right now.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Probably the right decision in my eyes.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good on ya! School will still be there but you’re irreplaceable.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Hi FF,

While I definitely believe that recovery from addiction should be dealt with in a very specific, absolutist fashion, I think all the complex ways we grow, learn, and become independent should be available with lots of flexibility. What I’m getting at is, it would be nice if your college offered a reduced load of courses, maybe even just one or two. So, then you would have that option, too, if you wanted it.

GT
Old 10-16-2020, 09:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi FF,

I was thinking of you and your situation today so was glad to see your post. A couple of years ago I was in as deep in as you were with alcohol with seizures, psychotic episodes etc. etc. It has taken me 21 months and I am still healing but the early months of recovery were rough.

Obviously talk to your doctors, friends and family but in my case it took a year or so to really start to get better. During this time I was not performing at my best (severe brain fog, mood swings, paranoia etc) and I wouldn't want to have been studying at college. Certainly no exams I would think.

There is light at the end of the tunnel though - if you can get through the first year of recovery things will get better and better...

All the best for now, Forwards.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

As my Grandmother used to say (not that I listened then - but with the benefit of hindsight) your health is your wealth. FF, it seems that your recent hospitalisation wasn't caused by drinking, so although you've stopped drinking, your health issues are still being addressed, and they are of paramount importance. Your'e young and we're already marching into next year. Do what you think is right in your heart, after listening to those who know you, FF.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I've read your posts about all the stress school is causing, and I think this is a good choice. I dropped out of high school after two years, then took courses at my community college and got accepted at a prestigious university a year early. But then I dropped out of college, and tried going back but it didn't work out. I feel I have had a good life, working for seven years in a family ice-cream shop, then eleven years at a department store. I have held various jobs since then. If making as much money as possible or making a big impact on the world is a life goal for you, I would strongly suggest returning to college.

edit: actually, a psychologist at the student health center kicked me out of college

Last edited by Coldfusion; 10-16-2020 at 09:52 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-16-2020, 10:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Since you have a financial deadline looming, I think the choice to put off college for now is the best. Maybe your administrative department can offer some advice that would enable you to continue part-time or something like that. But, you have a lot to deal with regarding your health.