Notices

Got lucky the weekend

Old 10-12-2020, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got lucky the weekend

Had a few beers for a mates birthday and ended up at a random house taking cocaine and poppers for the first time in my life. I'm 33 next month, another low point in my life.

I got lucky I guess because things could've got a lot worse. I'm not planning on doing them substances again but I'm getting increasingly dangerous when on drinking alcohol. Taking more risks.

I need to get a grip. Maybe this is a realisation that I need to stop drinking now. I'm fearful I won't get many more chances left.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

33 is a crossroads, it was for me. Like many, I wish I would have put down the poison for good then. The precipitous decline into more consistent, darker, dangerous drinking begins around that age for many of us. There's a better life on this side of sobriety. Question is whether you want to do the work to get here - it's worth it.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Today is a good day to make that happen, needtostop.

I know I had to steer clear of parties and people who I knew were big drinkers for a while.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I’d say age 33 was around the time my drinking really started to get out of hand. Took me 12 years to finally stop.

drinking is always going to lower our inhibitions, it’s a chemical reaction. So your best of intentions will always go out the window when you drink. Adding other substances into the mix is not good.

No matter how much you think you need alcohol, it’s a lie. You do not need it and You will not be missing out on anything by not drinking.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
Yeah, I’d say age 33 was around the time my drinking really started to get out of hand. Took me 12 years to finally stop.

drinking is always going to lower our inhibitions, it’s a chemical reaction. So your best of intentions will always go out the window when you drink. Adding other substances into the mix is not good.

No matter how much you think you need alcohol, it’s a lie. You do not need it and You will not be missing out on anything by not drinking.
There was a lot of shame yesterday, I just slept all day. Thinking 'what if'.

It feels like I've reached a crossroads now. Either stop relying on drink or go further a down a rabbit hole.

It's so hard though.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Samantha

That sounds scary, I'm glad that nothing too terrible happened.
I am the same age..33 next year. While I don't do any drugs, when I drink I drink more and more and more, which is just a huge problem on its own. So I'm really just working on quitting.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back with us needtostop87. Do you have a plan to help you stay clean and sober?

D
Old 10-12-2020, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad you're back with us needtostop87. Do you have a plan to help you stay clean and sober?

D
Honestly? No plan at all.

I do thinks I need to be away from friends who drink so much though. I live in England so there is a huge drinking culture here.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The urge to drink gets stored in our brains as an automatic response....like a knee-jerk reaction to our feelings. To overcome that, we need a plan for exactly what we will do during our drinking time. Maybe read up on some of the recovery methods like AA and AVRT.

You'll learn a lot just by reading on here.

Drinking culture? What is that anyway? Consider that drinkers like me and you don't win in a drinking culture. Does anyone though? YES...the big filthy rich corporations who sell us the booze are doing quit fine I'm sure.

It may seem hard to imagine now but you wont be missing out on anything by being sober. You have everything to gain.