Notices

9 Months sober today - Out of the psychiatric ward

Old 10-08-2020, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

9 Months sober today - Out of the psychiatric ward

Hey everyone,

First of all, I want to start with some gratitude. I am grateful I am alive, I really am. And secondly, this website was a lifesaver for me. I have made friends which even though I do not physically meet, I feel they are closer to me than my actual friends.

I wrote a couple of weeks ago that I was admitted voluntarily into a psychiatric ward because I had a problem I did not know what it was. It was benzo dependence. I won't enter into details because this is not the section for it, but I was tapered down and yesterday discharged from the ward.

I am having terrible withdrawal symptoms. This is by far the hardest thing I've withdrawn of. I've in the past, unfortunately, have withdrawal symptoms from alcohol and hardcore drugs like cocaine. They are not near as brutal. Not even close.

I am looking for some words of encouragement. I need the strength to keep going. This is absolutely horrible. I want to live.

I won't give any medical advice, of course, just one thought. I just realized how dangerous is to mixed alcohol and benzos. So please please do not do it.

Stay well, everyone.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the nine months and glad you were released!

I took benzos while drinking for years. Moderate drinking, though. Like 1-3 drinks every day and I took the benzos only as prescribed. I didn't find it particularly difficult to come off them, but I've certainly heard your story of difficulty before.

There is a benzo subforum... maybe you would find stories of hope or experience there. https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...nes-addiction/
Old 10-08-2020, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Hope. I am so glad for you that your are managing to tackle this and are getting out of the ward. You'll get all the support and encouragement you need here. I know you can do it.

I have stay well away from Benzos.....I abuse them if I have access to them. I totally understand how you could have got hooked.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations Hope! It must be scary but glad you found SR.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 9 months and I hope things will get better.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 9 months. Im 147 days clean from opiates. Everyone is so supportive here , I have been posting here aswell due to the other section not being so active. I haven't had a drink of alcohol in about 8 years but I know I am also alcoholic in recovery. We probably have different types of addiction but we all are here because we want to be better ourselves.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you were brave enough to seek the treatment you needed and that you have now been released. That's terrific.

I'm sorry about your brutal withdrawals, and all I can offer is to stick with it. Backsliding would be adding to your pain, and I know it will get better.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hope! Keep it up! You can do it and you know that it will take time but it will pass. One thing is for sure that if you break you will just have to go through it all again. Keep it up!
Old 10-08-2020, 01:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad you have nine months and you’ve been released Hope

I have no experience with benzo withdrawal but you have my support - you’re not alone

D
Old 10-08-2020, 01:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Benzos and alcohol caused me problems as well. I won't go into all of the details, but once I was drinking I would not have restraint on how much I was taking. Almost took my life. I know it can be scary leaving the psych ward, but it means you are making progress. Are you on Gabapentin or anything else to help the withdrawals? Are you being monitored by a doc?
Old 10-08-2020, 03:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I read your post and I can feel how hard this is....please please stay the course and have faith that it will get better.

You're body chemistry is realigning and healing and although it hurts you are moving forward even it feels like at a snail's pace. You're doing the right thing for yourself.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just wanted to tell you that I hope you are doing ok, internet stranger

Old 10-09-2020, 05:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're out and doing better, Hope1989!