Notices

Feeling 90% back to normal

Old 10-07-2020, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling 90% back to normal

I'm feeling about 90% back to normal. I still have periods throughout the day where I get a little depressed and anxious but its not crippling and nauseating like it was a few weeks ago. Unfortunately this is because I am taking meds. Hopefully I can use them and come off of them in a year or so with no issues. This is my hope. On a different note....I'm still sober lol. Almost 120 days I think? I stopped counting when I started feeling better.

Hope everyone else is doing well.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi RAB,

I'm glad your feeling better. Also congrats on 4 months sober. I understand about the periods throughout the day of getting a little depressed and anxious. They will come and go and with time they will be farther and farther apart. Just keep being strong. Come to SR or who ever you need to go for support to get you through any hard times you might come across. We are here to help and give advice.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's good RAB. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good to hear that things are getting better.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear you're doing better, RAB.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job
Old 10-07-2020, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

really glad to hear of your improvement RAB

D
Old 10-07-2020, 09:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ZIP

That's great, RAB'. Keep it up!
​​​​​​
Old 10-08-2020, 01:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good to hear you're doing better RAB
Old 10-08-2020, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I felt terrible for months after I quit drinking. Glad that you feel better and 100% agree you won't need them to stay happy. Congratulations on quitting drinking.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

takes me a week or so for the depression/anxiety to lift. Then I remember how sh*tty my life is and get sober depression...
Old 10-08-2020, 07:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations RAB. Ninety percent is a big chunk out of the whole. I'm very, very happy for you. Getting sober is not easy, but we're doing it.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Is it weird to feel like I'm cheating or "taking the easy way out"? I didn't want to resort to medication. I tried CBD, meditation, breathing exercises, walking and exercising, therapy etc. and nothing helped. I suffered for 3+ months thinking I'm strong enough to endure this pain but obviously I have a pretty bad anxiety disorder which just made everything worse. I feel like I didn't give myself a fair chance and resorted to an antidepressant. I guess all I can do now is be active in my recovery. My dad bought me a bicycle for my 32nd birthday and I plan on riding it a lot. I don't want to be stagnant and let the meds do the work for me. I really hope this periodic depression is alcohol related because I stopped drinking the anxiety away. I never had it before drinking or during drinking and every health professional doesn't listen when I say I'm normally a happy person. They just want me on the meds. It's so frustrating and I really haven't met anyone else who never struggled with depression until weeks after they put the bottle down so idk what to think or feel.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

RAB, I had a lot of problems when I quit drinking.

The only reason I didn't get meds for the post withdrawal anxiety and depression is that I've been on meds before and the side effects are as bad or worse than the condition in my experience. I'm sure they would have been quickly prescribed had I spun my story toward the negative. My brain was pretty jacked up in early sobriety.

Many people do well long-term on meds. If you haven't tried them before, I would give it a few months and see how it goes. You can always stop taking them in six months or two years - whatever you think. Just make sure if you stop them to stop them with your doctors' guidance since weaning off is much better than cold turkey with psyche drugs.

You were miserable and you already sound better. I don't think anyone really wants to take meds but if they help why not make use of the miracle of modern science?