Notices

Dealing with emotion

Old 10-06-2020, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with emotion

Well it's definitely different not numbing every mood or emotion, and it's going to take some more practice. I find my anger is not too difficult, eat something and a bit of quiet time untill calmer thoughts take charge.
Anxiety is more difficult though, however different now than in the first weeks. I keep reminding myself of the things that I am in control of and try not to get worked up over things I can not control.
At times I feel like I don't know if I am coming or going, sitting or standing etc. This is somewhat better since being sober. Hopefully some time soon I can just be. Perhaps this is part of the reason I have abused alcohol in the past.

On the upside, my home is becoming more homely, I am becoming a better father and husband and I have optimism for getting more out of my life.
learning to live sober.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad things are going well for you. I have difficulty controlling my emotions lately. I get overwhelmed with anxiety. It led to a siezure yesterday. I'm going to start meditating and practicing mindfulness when I get out of hospital. At least I'm sober.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I heard it said that there are good things and bad things about getting sober. One of the good things is getting your emotions back. One of the bad things is getting your emotions back.

I'd suggest practicing gratitude every day. That helps me with everything.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Least is right. It's a mixed blessing when we start feeling all the emotions. But, you sound like you're doing well. Anxiety is hard to deal with, but you can and are learning to manage it. As you said, keeping in mind what we can control and what we can't control helped my anxiety level.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your honest post. We abused alcohol for a reason. For me emotional instability was a big part of why I drank. Take away the drink and we are left having to learn new ways of coping. I look at my recovery as a process that will take years. But I’m always looking for and acknowledging even the smallest of improvements and I must say, after 9 months sober, I’m on autopilot now.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Finalcall. Definitely - what least said. I felt like I was coming out of a fog. I'm so thankful I resisted the temptation to go back in it. After a while I accepted the emotions & learned from them. Be proud of yourself for facing things with your eyes wide open. It will begin to feel less raw.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It can be overwhelming but most people find they comes to grips with things pretty quickly.

Congrats on your sober time Finalcall
Old 10-06-2020, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've found these anxiety spells blow over much more quickly in sobriety.

Once you wake up from a drunk and the alcohol really begins to go to work the anxiety gets much more intense, much more frequent.