Notices

Losing mobility

Old 09-19-2020, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Losing mobility

So since this Covid thing started I been home and basically drinking bloody marys everyday. What seems to be happening, I'm losing my balance even after I wake up in the morning. I've fallen 3 different times in the last month and just went to take out the garbage and could hardly make it down 3 stairs and hadnt even drank anything and I'm afraid to shower thinking I might fall down. Is this from the alcohol? Can anyone relate?
Old 09-19-2020, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Yes, I got weak in my muscles towards the end of my last drinking days. I hadn't fallen while sober but I felt like I could hardly move and I was experiencing dizziness during work hours I hadn't had before. I didn't see a doctor assuming it was my addiction. I will never know.

I'm now 1 year 8 months sober. I did experience some weakness at like 6months mark?, I forget exactly when, and it turned out to be quite the bacterial infection and I needed hospitalization for. I was grateful I was sober then to not have to wonder and blame booze for it. I wouldn't have seeked help thinking it was alcohol related.

Here's the point of my share - see a Doctor if you are worried.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd recommend getting a thorough checkup with your doctor. Alcohol does some bad things to our bodies and brains. Best solution would be to quit drinking and see if that problem goes away.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That really seems like something you should talk to your doctor about. That's the only way to find out what the problem is and what you can do. And, I do hope you decide to stop drinking.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How old are you?
How much do you normally drink?
How long have you been drinking?
These are probably some of the first questions a doctor will ask.

I had to schooch down a flight of about 20 stairs on my butt once because I couldn't make my legs work. "Just don't drop the wine. Just don't drop the wine." That's what I kept saying to myself. I didn't even bother to pour it in a glass when I got inside...
Old 09-19-2020, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Thanks for the replies.. I know its most likely due to the drinking, I dont drink heavy however I just can't move the way I used to 6 months ago and that was after 7 months of sobriety. And yes I'm feeling weakness in the legs.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Please see your doctor about this. You can guess it's due to drinking but you don't know for sure. Falling three times in a month and severe leg weakness could be due to all sorts of things. Ignoring it won't help and it could become much worse.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also recommend seeing a doctor. It may be due to your drinking, it may not be.

Either way, sounds like you really need to stop again Psily, and this time for good?

D.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think some of it may definitely be from alcohol. I've had the same issue. Since I haven't been forced to leave from home to work for at least 6 months, I found it was nice that I could start drinking as soon as I finished my work for the day, no commute, no need to even go outside for booze, just order online and right to my door, 15-20 minutes. Then I got so lazy I stopped exercising as well. Work done, beer already in the fridge cold.

But after several months of that, I gained a lot of weight and I started noticing that bending down to get things, I had a hard time getting back up, walking down to get the mail, having to do down several sets of steps, my knees felt like I'm the Tin Man and I need some oil.

Ever after only 6 days off drinking, I went out today and I feel a lot better mobility wise all around.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Thanks everyone for the replies, we moved and our regular doctor is a couple hours away, I don't know any doctors around here. @ TheWayBack, you mentioned you gained weight... weird I lost all my gym gains, 170 back to 150. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The joys of drinking. Old timer in my group went to detox when he couldn’t walk anymore. Was lucky to survive. Had some neurological issues that I’m not sure he recovered completely from. Nice thing is if you quit drinking you can improve your health and see a doctor and maybe not have to worry about falling down all the time. You deserve better for yourself buddy.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My legs played up when I was drinking heavily every day. They used to swell and burn. I was often wobbly, not sure if that was my dodgy legs or the fact I was intoxicated. Probably a combination of both.

I wonder if you might have some sort of Peripheral neuropathy going on.

Get checked out.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I complained to my doctor for 4 years about balance problems ,
He at last sent me to a vascular surgeon .
I had 3 blocked arteries !
I had 2 of them fixed , still can't walk very well .
I would get a check up .
Old 09-20-2020, 12:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by psilyguy View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies, we moved and our regular doctor is a couple hours away, I don't know any doctors around here. @ TheWayBack, you mentioned you gained weight... weird I lost all my gym gains, 170 back to 150. Thanks for sharing.
Well, yeah, alcohol will waste away muscle, especially if you're not using it. I quit working out a year ago, and I gained fat from all the beer I've been guzzling since then. I was averaging about 14 12oz beers a day, about 2800 calories. No wonder I'm fat now. Since I failed at my last quit, at which time I weighed 172, I'm now at 213, so I've gained 41 lbs, of fat. My target weight is 170-175, so I'm now 40 lbs overweight.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

See a Doc, never drink again.

I have been on this site about 5 years and have never read a success story from drinking. Never ever ever.

There was this one story recently, but I chalked it up to the person typing it was drunk. To me, the person was drunk and bragging how they figured out a way to happily moderate after coming here in a bad way and quitting for a while.

It is very very very hard to quit drinking. Booze causes a physical and mental addiction. Once the physical is gone, the mental shows through and uses the emotional mind to alter my analysis. The common sense is altered.

I was a sick mess while drinking. Pictures of myself show me as a chunky smiling man. But inside, I was always looking for my next buzz.

Addict for life.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yup seeing a doc is good but also, many of us have been sitting around or not as active as we were before. Could be you need to ramp up some exercise or stretching etc.