Notices

Turning Point organisation (UK)

Old 09-19-2020, 10:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Turning Point organisation (UK)

Hi all.

Just wondered if anyone in the UK had any experience with an organisation called Turning Point??

Thanks
Old 09-19-2020, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did, a number of years ago. They were one of the organisations that provided alcohol counselling in my area at the time. I engaged with them for about 3 or 4 months back in 2012/13. Ultimately I didn't stop drinking but that was as much to do with me as anything else. One thing I did find useful while engaging with Turning Point was that I was allocated a Peer Mentor who I could phone outside of my counselling appointments. We met up once a fortnight for a chat about anything and everything and the mentor was available to phone at any time if I'd needed to phone. I believe Turning Point still have Peer Mentors although the organisation no longer has a presence in my area as the local NHS Foundation Trust ended all funding for the various organisations who provided alcohol and drug counselling and set up its own in-house service.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Robbie.

I have a phone consultation with them tomorrow so I'll see how that goes.

Been struggling with alcohol addiction for around 10 years and I think I've got to accept that it's unlikely I'll beat it by doing the same things as I've been doing, hence getting in contact with Turning Point.
My main fear with contacting organisations is that they'll think I'm basically wasting their time and do not really fit their criteria for help. I am not what you would consider a chronic alcoholic and my life is not particularly chaotic so I wonder whether they'll think i should just pull myself together as they are normally use to dealing with chronic heroin addicts etc.

But who knows, probably just me being paranoid.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 09-20-2020, 02:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Turning Point, and other similar organisations, are for anyone who feels that he or she has a problem with alcohol. They're not only for someone who has a chronic problem with alcohol but for anyone who has any sort of unhealthy relationship with alcohol. Turning Point have a website which lists all the services they provide and how they can help. I don't know if you've visited the website but if you google the name it should be the first result that's returned. I would post a link but I don't know if that is against forum rules.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flowing
My main fear with contacting organisations is that they'll think I'm basically wasting their time and do not really fit their criteria for help. I am not what you would consider a chronic alcoholic and my life is not particularly chaotic so I wonder whether they'll think i should just pull myself together as they are normally use to dealing with chronic heroin addicts etc.

!
When I first contacted organisations I was 25, had tons of money, a great home and friends and a great life (on the outside). I went because I knew that drinking was ruining my life. But I didn’t listen or stay because I thought I wasn’t like all the chronic alcoholics etc.

When I got sober 15 years later I was pennyless and too weak to go to appointments at organisations and probably too far gone for them to help as I needed medical help.

My point is that the thinking “oh I’m not that bad” is a common trap that I and many others fall in to and that keeps us drinking for many years more than we should have.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just had a very long phone consultation which to be honest offered very little other than very generic advice.

The lady did not really listen to me and although she was very friendly and polite did not really want to engage in anything below the surface.

I am not after any kind of sympathy as I know change has to come from me but I thought I'd offer my insight.

Best. X
Old 09-21-2020, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Quit for yourself. Stay close to SR. Tons of help here! It's not easy at first but if you want it bad enough it gets much easier and is so worth the trouble! Best wishes for you on your journey!
Old 09-21-2020, 07:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Did Turning Point not offer any form of alcohol counselling or any further support?
Old 09-21-2020, 10:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

All the help you need is available on SR and in the AA literature and meetings in my experience. It all starts with total abstinence and honesty, open-minded and willingness to do whatever it takes to stay sober and recover. It is freely available and just requires total commitment and listening to those who have good solid honest recovery.