Notices

How do you cope?!

Old 09-10-2020, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you cope?!

Thought I’d post as getting to end first week back at school being a sen teaching assistant worried I wouldn’t be able to not drink! No more worries about that! Other worries keeping me awake at night!!! No drink but awake at 1.20 uk time! How do the parents cope??? X

Last edited by Dee74; 09-10-2020 at 05:31 PM. Reason: merged
Old 09-10-2020, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got sober with almost no life coping skills...but every week I learned to cope soberly better and better.
I'm sure the same will happen for you too.

For those 2am worries I always ask myself - is there anything I can do about these worries/problems?

If there is, I can tackle that in the morning.
If there's nothing I can so I may as well relax, read a little and get back to sleep

D
Old 09-10-2020, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't cope. It's why I drink. I lost everything and am pretty much unemployable. At 44, being bankrupt, criminal record, no job, no wife/family, brings a hopelessness that never leaves me. I am resigned to situation. Will probably be dead by 50. Just a feeling I won't live long.

But sober right now.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not to hijack rivers thread but I think you're a lot better at coping with stuff nowadays WL.
Look at how you handled the inspection - you called them and postponed instead of drinking over it.

D.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Not to hijack rivers thread but I think you're a lot better at coping with stuff nowadays WL.
Look at how you handled the inspection - you called them and postponed instead of drinking over it.

D.
Yep agreed Dee. Today he was trying to log in to an AA meeting. Sometimes we don’t notice the progress we’re making.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well, not really progress. In the past 4 years I have been AA off and on. 2 sponsors and did the steps up to 4 twice. Also, done in-patient rehab and therapy. This is just back to square one unfortunately.

Sorry to hijack the thread!
Old 09-10-2020, 08:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I have trouble coping with most anything, I pet my dog or cats. It relaxes me and makes me feel more positive. Often I walk my little dog and when we get home after her sniffing adventure, I always feel calmer. (I call her sniffing adventure "checking her peemail" )

But just petting them and interacting with them is very good for me. And they get so much attention and are so loving, it's a bonus to have such sweet and loving critters to share my life with.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well I’ve coped all week without which I’m surprised about but really am wondering how the sen parents cope without turning into complete alcoholics!! Like I said other things been keeping me awake! It’s not fair on the children they don’t understand! I’ve been stressing over this virus turning to drink but since going back to school with these wonderful special little ones put it in perspective! Yes today last day of week and no I don’t think I will be celebrating by pouring myself a bottle at the end of the day! Or tomorrow night!
Old 09-11-2020, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Riversong...It's good to see that you are doing better. I believe the parents don't turn into alcoholics because most of them get a different affect from alcohol than us alcohol abusers. However, I'm sure that some of them do turn into alcoholics also.

I hope today is a good day for you