Notices

Struggling a bit last couple of days

Old 09-10-2020, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling a bit last couple of days

Hi all, hope everyone is good 🙂

I'm just over 2 months in now and no booze, started university today which was great, job going well and relationship and daughter all good. Going on holiday shortly too
The last 2 days I've had some really aggressive thoughts hitting me about grabbing a drink, not necessarily short cravings but longer periods when I'm just going over and over in my head about planning a future drink. Quite rightly I'm in the process of continously dismissing these thoughts as they come up and "battling" them as nonsense
I've been attending aa online meetings and I'm in touch with a guy from the programme. I have a copy of the big book and I'm reading that although I'm not a massive reader. Right now though (and I do see the benefit of aa) I feel that I need to be looking at a practical, common sense approach to improving my mindset. AA at the minute seems a huge thing to get my head around, I see that it us rooted in the 12 steps and helps with adopting a spiritual element to a person's recovery but I think this all may need to come a little later down the line.
Any advice?

Old 09-10-2020, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know if you have found a sponsor yet, but that always helps. Also, a big help for me to get out of my own head is coming on here and supporting others that are struggling. You don't have to tender advice, just give encouragement. You're doing a great job and it's awesome you came here to ask for help.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd suggest making two lists, one of the positive aspects of drinking, the other of the negative aspects. I did that and the negative list was way longer. It helped me to see the good and bad written down in black and white.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi,

You're still very young in your sobriety. Allow hard/challenging days to come and go without getting too worked up. Some days are going to be harder to get through than others. That's just how it is.

I find that when I immerse myself in things I really love to do - what I'm doing replaces thoughts of drinking and time goes faster. And then some days, I still wind up going to bed at 9:00 p.m. because I want the day to end. I'm six months sober.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Two months of sobriety is great and take a moment to pat yourself on the back. Some days are tough and hard to get through, but sticking with your plan and getting through the tough days will make it a bit easier the next time. I always remind myself that the tough days won't last and better days will come along.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
I don't know if you have found a sponsor yet, but that always helps. Also, a big help for me to get out of my own head is coming on here and supporting others that are struggling. You don't have to tender advice, just give encouragement. You're doing a great job and it's awesome you came here to ask for help.
Thanks!! I often think about coming on and encouraging others but then sometimes I think what the hell do I know when I'm so early on myself!
Will give this some consideration and thank you again
Old 09-10-2020, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I'd suggest making two lists, one of the positive aspects of drinking, the other of the negative aspects. I did that and the negative list was way longer. It helped me to see the good and bad written down in black and white.

This sounds a great idea and one I will pursue. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2020, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LumenandNyx View Post
Hi,

You're still very young in your sobriety. Allow hard/challenging days to come and go without getting too worked up. Some days are going to be harder to get through than others. That's just how it is.

I find that when I immerse myself in things I really love to do - what I'm doing replaces thoughts of drinking and time goes faster. And then some days, I still wind up going to bed at 9:00 p.m. because I want the day to end. I'm six months sober.
Cheers for this. Makes sense, I've got my drums, bass, guitar and keyboard so need to start getting back into them 😊
Old 09-10-2020, 02:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Two months of sobriety is great and take a moment to pat yourself on the back. Some days are tough and hard to get through, but sticking with your plan and getting through the tough days will make it a bit easier the next time. I always remind myself that the tough days won't last and better days will come along.
Thanks and I'm pleased with my effort this time, It's took more gusto than last time I quit but I'm glad I'm hitting the bed sober tonight!
Old 09-10-2020, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Stewy

some good ideas and reminders here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-recovery.html (101 Helpful Hints For Recovery)

For me acceptance was everything - once I accepted that drinking again would always take me back to the things I never want to experience again, the AV lost a lot of its persuasive powers.

Support helps too - post as much as you need too man

D
Old 09-10-2020, 04:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How often are you going to meetings? I've found that the more meetings I go to, the less I have cravings. I am doing 90 in 90. I started about 50 days ago and have made it to about 40-42 meetings. (Progress rather than perfection, haha). And the meetings have really help me calm my mind. Best wishes!
Old 09-12-2020, 03:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
How often are you going to meetings? I've found that the more meetings I go to, the less I have cravings. I am doing 90 in 90. I started about 50 days ago and have made it to about 40-42 meetings. (Progress rather than perfection, haha). And the meetings have really help me calm my mind. Best wishes!
Cheers pal, i've been doing 2 meetings per week via zoom and reading the big book. I had a chat with my sponsor this week who was saying that it would be advantageous to go to a few more meetings each week. i've just heard that there is going to be some progress on the face to face meetings in the coming weeks so that's great news for me. Thanks for your reply!
Old 09-13-2020, 02:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That same thing happens to me when I have a lot going on or big changes in my schedule. Seems like you have both going for you. Maybe reaffirm your sobriety and ramp up your recovery program even more during this time of change.