Notices

Back to Work

Old 09-01-2020, 04:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to Work

Today is my first day back to my worksite since March (longest Spring Break ever!). I am posting to rid myself of thoughts so I don't replay them all day, and set my intention for not drinking. It will be a mixed bag of emotions and I want to ensure that my new habits prevail. We do not know what our new assignments/positions will be, things have been changing everyday, a lot of unknowns but I have made an effort to give up my "what if questions". I am a bit anxious but also excited to see my colleagues in person. After 25 days sober I am feeling strong but I know that something as simple as driving home can trigger an "automatic" stop at the liquor store. My brain is always fried on the first day so I do have a plan. I have spent the last couple weeks trying to create a new before and after work routine. Mornings I check in on SR and just read new posts with my coffee, then, take the pups for a walk, mindful stretch, healthy breakfast and read something about recovery (I will listen to a download while driving to work). After work I plan to listen to a recovery or mindful book on the way home, take the pups for a walk right away, I have planned dinner in advance (so no thinking required), and check in on SR (to report my success of not drinking today, lol). OK. All set. I can and I will handle anything that comes my way. Have a great day everyone.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time!

My first year was full of sober firsts. Big ones (first sober b-day), and small ones (first sober staff meeting). I worked hard on staying calm and centered, and just moving through time. Eventually, by behaving that way, I gradually began to be that way. After the first “first” it was just the new normal.

I am a bit anxious but also excited to see my colleagues in person. After 25 days sober I am feeling strong but I know that something as simple as driving home can trigger an "automatic" stop at the liquor store.
When drinking, I always stopped at the store after work. I had to make sure I had food at home so I could eat right away, then head out for a walk. For me, habitual patterns were danger. So I planned ahead.

Good luck!
-bora

Old 09-01-2020, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a good plan, puzzle. Listening to a recovery book on the way home is such a proactive tool!

Stay close.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Erica375

Always good to have a plan! "Fail to plan; plan to fail."
I would suggest maybe a snack in the car for the ride home? Definitely some water and maybe a handful of nuts or half a peanut butter sandwich, just so you're not hangry on the way home.
Let us know how it goes!
Old 09-01-2020, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you, puzzle - you're off to a great start. 25 days is wonderful.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions! I wrote them down to add to my toolkit. I am happy to report that I drove all the way home before I realized I hadn't even thought about stopping at the liquor store. I do feel exhausted so early night for me. Same plan tomorrow. Have a good night everyone.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's a wonderful feeling. It was always on my mind at one point, then one day I realized I hadn't thought of it in ages. It's great to be free.
Sleep well, puzzle.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad your day was good puzzle

D
Old 09-02-2020, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope the work situation got worked out puzzle. Good to see you have a plan!
Old 09-02-2020, 12:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Puzzle, looks like you’ve been putting in a tremendous well planned effort. Let us know how today is going.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for checking in. Work was a gong show. Normally I would be writing lines about how awful it was and then fighting my anxiety but I realized I can't change the situation and I can't control it. I can only control myself. So, instead, I followed my plan again today. I feel good, balanced, tired in a good way. I hope my daily plan will turn into a habit (it's still kinda like a recovery check list right now). I also know from past experience that I have to guard against being too confident, which over weeks leads to - "I'm too tired to walk or check in on SR. I deserve a break - Which leads to.....) For me, recovery has to be active. I have to do things each day to stay on the right path. Maybe in time I won't have to be so vigilant, but for now I do. After reading another thread tonight I can also add that I am at the point where I have accepted that I cannot drink again, EVER (or rather as some say I simply don't drink). Hmmm... as I wrote that I had this tiny voice in my head saying "really? you mean that?" haha Well at least today I can tell that stupid voice that Yes, I do mean that so shut up and go away!
Old 09-02-2020, 05:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yeah, shut up and leave our friend puzzle alone, Voice.
You're doing great.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Awesome update. You’re really putting in the work!
Old 09-02-2020, 09:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I loved reading this thread! Congrats on being back at the job site and your kickass planning and dedication. Yes, you made a really good point, you have to stay active in your plan/recovery every day and it works. Sometimes if I start thinking too far ahead and start to feel bored with it all I just try to focus just on the day and enjoy being sober and sane. Keep it up and you’re doing great!
Old 09-02-2020, 09:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great to read this.

A lot of life is about habits. Great to see you are making good ones.

Congrats.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
ZIP

Very nice!
Good plans, great effort!
Old 09-06-2020, 02:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update puzzle!