Birthday. Need a plan
Old 09-01-2020, 01:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TheBlueMask

Wrote a significant email but was timed out by admin
Old 09-01-2020, 01:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Getting clean from booze hurts. I had to suffer, and still do, off and on. The suffering escalates and morphs. My mind tries every rationalization to get me to relapse. If I could imagine a reason, it was a reason.

I had to pray for strength. I used sweets to trick my brain. I stayed full. I worked out.

Suffering and time. It is a chemical change that must occur. It takes a long long long time.

Folks regret relapse after decades of sobriety.

I am an addict for life.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

The computer system does that after a relatively short time. It is annoying and sad.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Whatever it takes to start. If it’s your birthday, then sobriety is a great gift to give yourself.

I tried off and on and then quit on my birthday 5 weeks ago. I had a lot of reasons to quit... one being I didn’t want to spend the second half of my life a drunk. I didn’t want my kids to have a drunk parent...My spouse deserves better.. I don’t want the health problems to start creeping in... etc.

my plan so far is to post and read on SR. I’ve attended some online AA meetings to see if they are something that hello. I’ve bumped up my exercise and indulge in sweets when I crave.

if I crave (which has really diminished I’m the last two weeks) I make a list of exactly what I am going to do to get me to bedtime. then I start checking them off.

i feel awesome and well rested. I feel happy with my family. My days are not filled with stomach issues, headache, and dread. It is so worth it.

you can do this. Don’t drink the first drink. Stay close to SR. lots to read. Lots of wise people who help keep you supported and focused.

welcome and try that email again...

B
Old 09-01-2020, 02:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My plans never worked until I wanted sobriety more then it was, I'm done and that was it. I can't remember parts of that day [Imagine that] but I do remember where I was sitting and what I was doing when I decided that I was done.
So far so good.

Side note - Also, most times I will type my replies in a word doc and then just copy paste so I don't run into the time issue you both have mentioned.

HTH
Old 09-01-2020, 02:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello BM. Good to see you posting again. I actually bought a copy of LR's BM based on your user name but I'm still a R&RA kind of guy. So you have been around here for years. Have you had enough? The simplest plan I know is just one day at a time while staying close to this forum.

Speaking of BDs I turned 60 last month. It was my first sober decade birthday since I was 10. That's a fact that gets to me a bit but I can't change the past.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

Saving a copy elsewhere is a good idea if you find yourself being routinely timed out - although mist times you should find that a 'restore auto saved content' button will appear.

I think any day is a good day to go for a day one - Birthday, holiday, or Wednesday

D
Old 09-01-2020, 02:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello BM. Good to see you posting again. I actually bought a copy of LR's BM based on your user name but I'm still a R&RA kind of guy. So you have been around here for years. Have you had enough? The simplest plan I know is just one day at a time while staying close to this forum.

Speaking of BDs I turned 60 last month. It was my first sober decade birthday since I was 10. That's a fact that gets to me a bit but I can't change the past.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

Saving a copy elsewhere is a good idea if you find yourself being routinely timed out - although mist times you should find that a 'restore auto saved content' button will appear.

I think any day is a good day to go for a day one - Birthday, holiday, or Wednesday

D
Old 09-01-2020, 05:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In a mode of trying to quit over a period of a year or two, I made it to three days on several occasions. I did eventually quit, but not until I understood the wisdom of quitting rather than trying to learn to drink sensibly. When I resolved never to drink again, I consider that the beginning of my plan. At that time, I had been sober for 5 days, which seemed like a miraculous feat. I didn't yet know that my sobriety birthday would be that day 5 days earlier.

I guess what I'm leading up to is you don't know when that magic day will be. For me, the magic happens on the day you commit to a plan. Your sobriety birthday just happens. I think, possibly incorrectly, that this addresses your question.

The important thing is what are you planning on doing to quit? Expect your plan to morph as you encounter new situations. For all the hoop-la we make over our birthdays, it's just an incidental thing that happens when it happens. I'm not saying it's unimportant. It just happens, and then it becomes something we keep track of.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Each day is a new opportunity to call it a BD when it comes to getting sober.
How about Today?