Notices

Day one after 30+ days of heavy drinking

Old 08-31-2020, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one after 30+ days of heavy drinking

Last month I went 22 days without drinking and it felt great. I then drank with friends and ended up going 30+ days of heavy drinking. Now I'm sweating and shaking and look like a total mess. I really need get it right this time. I'm so mad at myself for messing up AGAIN! The last few days were horrible because I wasn't eating just boozing. I feel terrible
Old 08-31-2020, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you found us.

I hope you make the decision to stop drinking for good. Is today your Day 1? It might be a good idea to talk to your doctor before stopping drinking and to keep a close watch on your withdrawal symptoms. Getting rid of all the alcohol in the house will probably help you, too. I hope you keep reading here and posting.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna.
Yes its day one and all the alcohol is gone. I thought about tapering but I'll just end up getting wasted. The next few days are going to be painful.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to Day 1, RyanBrian.

You never have to feel this way again. Make sobriety and recovery your number 1 priority. I can promise that you will never regret doing so.

Living in sobriety and recovery is an exponentially better way to live.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, the next few days will be hard, but keep in mind that you never have to do this again. Stay hydrated, rest, and eat as well as you can.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi,

I know exactly how you feel. One thing that helped me through withdrawal was the TV. Do you have a favorite show or any movies that might help distract you for a bit?

Also, I'm not sure if you're throwing up or not, but if you can try to keep drinking little sips of water - your body will love you for it.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Check in here often RyanBrian and let us know how you're feeling.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back
I had to make a lot of lifestyle changes and tough choices. I’m glad I did tho - the rewards are pretty awesome.

D
Old 08-31-2020, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Been there many times. The anxiety, shakes, sweats, and insomnia I just call 'The Fear'. I just park myself on the sofa and binge-watch tv shows/Netflix. Gatorade and Advil come in handy. Usually takes me 4-5 days to feel normal again.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you'll use the support on this site to get and stay sober for good. Physical withdrawal can be rough but if you don't drink again, you never have to go thru it again.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You're going to do it. I believe in you.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi RB - it's so good to have you with us.
Yes, I did that many times, & I guess I always thought willpower would allow me to have just 'one or two'. That never happened. Every time it was in my system it led to being drunk & stupid. After many years of that I was finally exhausted and disgusted with myself. That's when I found SR and felt so relieved to know I wasn't alone. I hope you'll keep posting for support & encouragement. Congratulations for making this decision!
Old 08-31-2020, 03:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RyanBrian View Post
Last month I went 22 days without drinking and it felt great. I then drank with friends and ended up going 30+ days of heavy drinking. Now I'm sweating and shaking and look like a total mess. I really need get it right this time. I'm so mad at myself for messing up AGAIN! The last few days were horrible because I wasn't eating just boozing. I feel terrible
i think we all can relate, at least you here and putting in the effort. I've been drinking moderately to heavy for 20 years and I'm just now trying to get sober. The withdrawals are horrible, but everyone says it gets better, I'm still working on getting past day two. You can't change the past, but we all can make a better future, if we put in the effort.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How is it going today, RyanBrian?

Thinking of you.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks to all the nice people who responded and gave great advice. Very much appreciated! Day 2 has been rough but I'm glad to be not drinking. Still shaking and sweating but I know that should end within the next few days. Finally keeping food and water down. Sleep was rough with many vivid nightmares. Hopefully I can get some rest tonight. Thanks again!
Old 09-01-2020, 05:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey RB, congratulations on two days. Might sound weird, but savor it. Remember how this feels. Remember how well you felt after 22 days of not drinking. You never have to feel this way again.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RyanBrian View Post
Thanks to all the nice people who responded and gave great advice. Very much appreciated! Day 2 has been rough but I'm glad to be not drinking. Still shaking and sweating but I know that should end within the next few days. Finally keeping food and water down. Sleep was rough with many vivid nightmares. Hopefully I can get some rest tonight. Thanks again!
Hope you have a restful night. Hopefully the shaking and sweating will ease up in the next two or three days. 30+ days of heavy drinking sounds like a lot of punishment to inflict on your body so as Anna posted keep a watch on any withdrawal symptoms. Hopefully though you'll feel a lot better by the weekend.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Things will get better and you will start to feel better. I went from the mid of April thru end of July drinking on average a little under a fifth a day (sometimes more sometimes less) but was pretty much drunk the entire time. Them first few days are rough not drinking so I (and all of us) understand. The first 5 days I was in really bad shape. I forced myself to drink water and green tea and exercised when I had the energy to. It helped. Hang tough my friend. Fight the tide and it will pass trust me. Prayers to you.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Free.

Hang in there RyanBrian.
Some fruit juice. Some vitamins and light meals will help.

You won't have to feel this rough again.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey RyanBryan, I agree with imnotthatguy, remember how you feel/felt when things get better and that damn AV starts getting ideas. A quick search it would seem you joined the september class and are on day 5. Congratulations. I would get a thread that is yours that you can use to document your journey. A journal basically. This could be it. I would consider keeping this thread going so you can look back on it.