Notices

Really need some help.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really need some help.

I’m 43, I’ve been dealing with the throes of alcoholism for 25 years. Would love some support and encouragement going cold turkey. Have done it in the past for long stints, but always came back to the bottle. Would like to end the addiction once and for all. Any encouraging words will help. Thanks SR community.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey. I'm dealing with quite a bit myself. Been sober a little over a month now. It's hasn't been great, but it's better than it was. We will have our rough periods. But trust me fighting thru the storm is worth it. Changing your life and getting through these hard times is doable. I say that because I was at a point after relapsing that I didn't believe it was. I went back out after being sober almost 3 years. Which was the longest for me and was drinking pretty bad to the point I thought it would end like this.

But the fact that you came here, shared and looking for encouragement means in your heart you want a change. I sincerely believe a higher power provides us the courage and introduces us to the support we need to make it through the rough instances that we face. I'm down myself about quite a few things, but I refuse to have them make me take the path of destruction that I usually would go down when life gets like this.

You can beat this thing and become a stronger person for it. Don't doubt yourself. My prayers go out to you as well as my confidence in your ability to prevail.

Take care
Old 08-29-2020, 09:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Macro

I know you probably have good reasons for not wanting to involve a doctor but don't hesitate to do so if you feel concerned about the way things are going cold turkey.

Not everyone has problems withdrawing but some people do.

I turned my life around with the help of this community - I know you can do the same - I'm really glad you found us

D

Old 08-29-2020, 09:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ZIP

Hi Macro,
Maybe a sobriety game plan is in order.
I drank for decades and tried on numerous occasions to simply stop on my own.
I failed every time. Like you, I'd have a few bursts of sobriety...but always topple back into the booze abyss.
One morning, following another dismal night, I simply had enough. I phoned my medical provider and made an appointment to enroll in an out-patient alcoholism program. Along with that, I made an appointment with my personal physician...and spilled the beans about my alcoholism.
I was in the out-patient program the very next day: for 1 year, with 1 year of mandatory spot drug/alcohol testing, 1 year of mandatory AA meetings.
That, my friend, is what finally worked for me....structure, accountability, discipline, effort, penalty. That's what I needed to roll out of the recliner to get sober.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

SR has helped me stay sober for almost 11 yrs now. I hope we can do the same for you. Take advantage of our support. Read and post often.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Marco, I'm a lot like you. "Quittin's easy! I've done it a thousand times!" I can't give you advice on how to achieve decades-long sobriety because I've never done that myself. My longest sober streak was five years, and I've had a lot of shorter ones in there. For me what seems to work is reminding myself constantly that I don't drink because drinking will kill me or make me wish I were dead. When I say, "constantly" in that last sentence, I mean it. You have to work it into your subconscious.

95% of what we do in life is controlled by the subconscious. You don't consciously decide to do very many things, you just do them. I think the reason I was able to make it five years was that sobriety became normal, and my go-to behavior in times of trouble or times of celebration was not drinking. Then, inexplicably, at one moment I made the conscious decision to drink. I'm still trying to reprogram my subconscious this time around. After that, I'll have to do something to guard against making that one stupid conscious decision in a moment of insanity. The point is, for me it's about making it automatic to not drink instead of to drink, at least in the beginning. Hypnosis, affirmations, meditation -- these are all ways of getting that autopilot on the right course.

Anyway, best of luck.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Welcome, Macro!
You can do this. I know because I'm doing it, and I'm nothing special at all.

O
Old 08-30-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TNTStill View Post
Hey. I'm dealing with quite a bit myself. Been sober a little over a month now. It's hasn't been great, but it's better than it was. We will have our rough periods. But trust me fighting thru the storm is worth it. Changing your life and getting through these hard times is doable. I say that because I was at a point after relapsing that I didn't believe it was. I went back out after being sober almost 3 years. Which was the longest for me and was drinking pretty bad to the point I thought it would end like this.

But the fact that you came here, shared and looking for encouragement means in your heart you want a change. I sincerely believe a higher power provides us the courage and introduces us to the support we need to make it through the rough instances that we face. I'm down myself about quite a few things, but I refuse to have them make me take the path of destruction that I usually would go down when life gets like this.

You can beat this thing and become a stronger person for it. Don't doubt yourself. My prayers go out to you as well as my confidence in your ability to prevail.

Take care
Thank you so much for this. It was just what I needed.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Hi Macro, depending on the severity of your drinking, there are options for help. I’ve found detox centers helpful. The last one I went to was in a house, and was very comfortable and filled with people like me. Nurses and a doctor on call and to provide meds to help with withdrawal. Not a scary place but to the contrary a very supportive and welcoming place. If you’re not feeling too bad than there’s AA, Smart Recovery, inpatient and outpatient programs of all types. Whatever path you go youll find support. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just turned 44. Been drinking hard for 25 years too. 15 of those years alcoholically. I am a chronic relapser so have no advice other than to never stop trying.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Macro, I'm glad you've joined us and I know you will find lots of support here.

Check with your doctor if you're concerned and keep reading here and posting.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Marco, I just wanted to let you know that I'm here to support and help you. Today is my first day on SR and I am truly thankful to have found this place. I am trying to get my life back together and I will not drink today. That is my plan. I hope that you will join me.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I did it, and if I can get sober, anyone can.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Got triggered quite legitimately last few days. I'm facing the same thing. I've only been drinking last few days so plan not to drink tommorrow.

Any longer drinking in my experience you probably need medical help. But the best thing you can do is make yourself eat even if you don't feel like it.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello,

Like many others here, I too have relapsed countless times. This last time I got sober, I stopped taking Xanax and drinking cold turkey. And I had problems with it. That said, I'm still here and I'm just glad it's over.

I'll add this - two things: If you have a history of alcoholic seizures and if you drank a lot every day, you may want to at least let someone know that you're about to stop cold turkey. It can be dangerous and someone should be aware of it.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I did it, and if I can get sober, anyone can.
I feel the same way. I waited till I was 47 to finally quit 30 years of drinking. Its so much better. Stick around here and read alot and post. For me it helped get my mindset into one of not drinking. I'm still hanging around after 14 months of not drinking. You got to be tough and have your mind made up. If you really want it you can and will do it. Lots of us have.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi, You can do it! I've been sober for 7 months now and take it one day at a time. I'm 55 and drank for 20+ years - never too old to change! SR has helped a lot as well as AA meetings. Never give up.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much

For all your encouragement. You are all an amazing source of inspiration to me during this time.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Macro, how is it going?