Notices

day 46 cravings again

Old 08-27-2020, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 46 cravings again

Hi all,

Cravings have been quite frequent this past week. More for weed than booze but I know one will lead to the other so it's the same difference I guess.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think your disease sees that it's losing and is working overtime on you. But, you're doing great, and the cravings should lessen soon.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Consider HALTS, someday, when you have cravings.

Are you hungry?
Are you angry?
Are you lonely?
Are you tired?
Are you sad?

Quite often, when we think we are craving our addictive substance, we are experiencing one of those conditions. Addressing those often resolves what we thought were cravings.

Be sure and have some favorite snacks and non-alcoholic beverages on hand. Indulge yourself in a nap, if possible. Call a friend. Address anger in a healthy manner - talk it out if possible; go for a run; do some quick exercises; practice deep breathing; meditate.

Indulge yourself if you are sad; enjoy some ice cream or a warm bath.

Stay close to us.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna and Soberleigh. Truth be told i'm just not sure why i'm craving I don't believe i'm suffering any of those but then I could be angry or lonely or sad I really don't know. I'm feeling nothing maybe that's the problem. I'm sleeping no problem, eating well, exercising regularly and meditating daily and doing yoga. I have warm baths daily which are nice. I have no friends as the ones I had are all drinkers/users. Feel like i'm being negative in this post now as I really do have so much to be grateful for and I practice gratitude daily. I feel like i'm doing everything I can but maybe i'm not.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by someday147 View Post
Thanks Anna and Soberleigh. Truth be told i'm just not sure why i'm craving I don't believe i'm suffering any of those but then I could be angry or lonely or sad I really don't know. I'm feeling nothing maybe that's the problem. I'm sleeping no problem, eating well, exercising regularly and meditating daily and doing yoga. I have warm baths daily which are nice. I have no friends as the ones I had are all drinkers/users. Feel like i'm being negative in this post now as I really do have so much to be grateful for and I practice gratitude daily. I feel like i'm doing everything I can but maybe i'm not.
Be patient Someday147. You're perhaps feeling "nothing" because you were craving the utopic-joy of being drink free. It'll take time. But now, small steps, and tomorrow you'll wake up content and happy that you're sober and functioning. Just keep pushing on as you are.

Where in NI are you from fella? I've only NI once for a wedding near Omagh.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi someday

I think most of us reach a point where the old thoughts come again. All long as we remember old thoughts lead to old outcomes you'll be OK.

Maybe think about doing something nice for yourself this weekend to banish that nothing feeling?

D
Old 08-27-2020, 02:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 46 days someday!

Just hold on for now and remind yourself that it will not be like this for much longer, it will get easier.

46 days is a solid chunk of sober time, you will be really disappointed if you drink now. Many years ago I drank on day 49 and was depressed for ages afterwards and felt like I was not going to be able to quit. It took a long time to recover after that.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody appreciate the replies I will just keep plugging away and not give in to this beast! I have lots of tools just gotta make sure I use them.

I live in Belfast Alba think i've only been to Omagh once myself.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Consider HALTS, someday, when you have cravings.

Are you hungry?
Are you angry?
Are you lonely?
Are you tired?
Are you sad?

Quite often, when we think we are craving our addictive substance, we are experiencing one of those conditions. Addressing those often resolves what we thought were cravings.

Be sure and have some favorite snacks and non-alcoholic beverages on hand. Indulge yourself in a nap, if possible. Call a friend. Address anger in a healthy manner - talk it out if possible; go for a run; do some quick exercises; practice deep breathing; meditate.

Indulge yourself if you are sad; enjoy some ice cream or a warm bath.

Stay close to us.
Out of curiosity, what to do if you are lonely or sad in this pandemic? Not much to do if you are these days
Old 08-27-2020, 10:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nez

Out of curiosity, what to do if you are lonely or sad in this pandemic?
Rub my dogs head and talk to her.
Watch the International Space Station pass overhead in the night sky.
Ride my motorcycle.
Watch the momma deer with their new spotted babies.
Tell my wife that I love her.
Thank the universe for the lessons.
Etc.

Old 08-28-2020, 07:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This won’t sound very helpful, s147, but 47 (48) days is early days. I know full well it’s long time for you. I still had huge cravings on day 50 and then a family storm in a teacup on day 55 sent my urgeometer to day one levels. Actually, it didn’t as I’d had those few weeks of sober time and had the willpower to hold off. Cravings last literally minutes. I read somewhere no one has ever been killed by a craving.

I’m not a weed expert, except the big ones in my garden, but I can say the cravings will go soon if you let them go away.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Have you ever seen the American movie/cartoon Toy Story? With the voices of Tom Hanks and Tim Allen? The main character, Woody the cowboy is battling Zurg, the space man, and at one point Woody yells out "NOT TODAY, ZURG!"

Try using that when your AV pops its' ugly little head up. It's a great one liner.

On a more serious note - I've come to the conclusion that those of us in recovery need to accept the fact that our AV never dies. It may quiet down for months, years, or decades - but it never leaves us permanently.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have seen toy story yeah great film. If a line from it helps me stay sober all the better
Old 08-28-2020, 04:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Out of curiosity, what to do if you are lonely or sad in this pandemic?
I try to stay connected with people - if face to face is impossible or unwise there is always the phone, text or social media.
I try and do things that make me happy - watch favourite TV programmes, listen to music, read a good book, get out in the sun (if possible)

D
Old 08-28-2020, 05:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

How's it going today someday?

D
Old 08-29-2020, 02:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

All good thanks for asking Dee day 48 still sober and doing everything possible to stay that way. Fewer cravings yesterday which i'm grateful for. Although thoughts of weed once again today and unlike playing the tape forward with alcohol helps that method is not helping with the weed. I think the whole thing is just such a big change for the mind, not just getting sober but a complete life overhaul is required for this to be successful. I just hope things will get better.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're anything like me, a toke would make drinking again seem like the best idea in the world - so if nothing else that's a great reason not to smoke.

Its the same beast even if its wearing slightly more beguiling clothes.

Back when I first joined I spoke a little about weed to someone else

I know about a love affair with booze, I also understand, from experience, a love affair with weed - I know what you mean when you say "I guess makes it seem like everything is fine/perfect. Since it takes all your problems/worries/etc and puts them on a rocket to outer space"

I think, like you, I felt smarter, I felt more insightful, more creative...man, I just felt *better* on weed. Trouble was that eventually, slowly and imperceptibly, I was chasing that 'perfect' feeling pretty much 24/7.

But, like the lab mouse who's continually pushing that button to get high, any creative benefits or metaphysical insights I felt I got from weed were eventually reduced right down to simply needing to feel 'out of it'...the amotivational thing you speak of really kicked in, and kicked in HARD after a few years...effort, any effort, beyond toking became simply too hard...

I started off smoking weed writing wild songs and poetry and having even wilder philosophical insights....I ended up near catatonic, on my couch, all day everyday.

I started off using the drug, but in the end it just used me....weed became bigger than the problems and worries I tried to deal with in the beginning. I had to move towns - and more than a little against my will - to get away from weed....but I'm so glad I did.

Take this observation from an old hippy - with the perspective of hindsight I can see now I wasn't smarter, or more insightful, or more creative on weed at all. It just *felt* that way - it's the illusion that keeps you coming back again and again for a hit - that illusion of the perfect high, or even the perfect me....but it *is* an illusion. I know now there's nothing I couldn't do, no song I couldn't write, no epipany I couldn't experience, that I can't experience straight. Pot didn't create it - it's all there in my brain, right now.

I dunno, but in my experience, and it seems for a lot of other folks here too, anything we do to avoid worries, or to run away from problems, is pretty much gonna come and bite us sooner or later.
You've come a long way to just get only one hand free of the shackles - don't turn back now man

D

Old 08-29-2020, 03:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Quitting weed and alcohol at the same time is a HUGE accomplishment and an enormous change. I can only imagine the daily effort required but here you are at 48 days. You are a tower of strength!

I think feeling flat is one of the biggest challenges in staying sober. I know it is for me. I have to keep reminding myself that recovery is a process and it will take years to fully learn and appreciate life without booze. But that is ok because at least with sobriety we’re gradually moving up as opposed to the downward spiral.

this week I went back and read my original posts which was helpful. I’m also trying to figure out how I can be of service to others. Considering doing some random acts of kindness anonymously.

Congrats on your success!

Old 08-29-2020, 05:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks guys this is very encouraging and has helped a lot. Weekends have been more difficult thus far as i'm sure they can be for many of us in early sobriety. So I am going to get super busy for the rest of today and have a local zoom meeting later. Am hosting and chairing a zoom meeting tomorrow. I couldn't even dream of doing that when I was using nor would I have wanted to. Thank you Sober45 and Dee these last few posts have really lifted me to keep going I was waning somewhat. Thanks to everyone else too.
Old 08-29-2020, 05:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Someday,
I'm at day 36 and I've completely had more cravings this week than the past weeks. My AV is definitely back and it's been tough. Being a weekend can make it even tougher so I am trying to stay strong. Good luck to ya, I'm right here with you.