Notices

ahhh the anxiety!

Old 08-26-2020, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ahhh the anxiety!

I know I should "accept the things I cannot change" but I cannot accept going back to work with no limit on class sizes, no physical distancing and no masks. I just can't. Yes, I am grateful that I have a job. However, I am in a higher risk group for COVID complications so my anxiety grows the closer I get to going back. I am trying to "change" my anxiety by breathing, guided meditation and walking. It does help some. I know that anxiety is a trigger for me so I worry that I won't be able to manage it properly. Of course worry increases anxiety..... This is where I usually say I need to stop thinking. Guess what helps me stop thinking? lol No, I don't want a drink today. Today I can and will manage.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's good you don't want to drink. Did you know 3 million people a year die worldwide from drink? Just a little perspective
Old 08-26-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Philemon View Post
It's good you don't want to drink. Did you know 3 million people a year die worldwide from drink? Just a little perspective
No I did not know that! Wow. Great perspective. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2020, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Puzzle. I can't imagine being in that situation but I have friends who are teachers here and who have been dealing with this for months.
They try to social distance as much as possible and wash their hands regularly.

I'm glad to say none of my friends are sick.

D
Old 08-26-2020, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry Puzzle. I can't imagine being in that situation but I have friends who are teachers here and who have been dealing with this for months.
They try to social distance as much as possible and wash their hands regularly.

I'm glad to say none of my friends are sick.

D
That’s very encouraging. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure there is a lot of anxiety in the thought of going back to teaching during covid. I hope that things go well, and it sounds like you're doing a good job trying to manage the anxiety.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Puzzle. I sent you a PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Puzzle, I’ll be in school too, but as a trainee teacher. I don’t have any health issues, but I’m obviously concerned about catching Covid plus the disruption to my training if there are further lockdowns or school closures. Apparently, there is a “teacher’s zone” at the front of each classroom, and the teacher stays there, but like a football manager in his technical area.

If I was a few years younger, I’d have waited one or two years, but I’ll start next week and see how things go.

I don’t know anything about teaching unions yet, but can they offer you any advice?

Old 08-26-2020, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I imagine in your anxiety struggles throughout the day you have moments of calm and serenity.

I had those too and I knew that they would get longer and longer until the point where I had more calm then anxiety.

I still get anxious for sure, I imagine it will never totally go away.

My anxiety is also linked to my BP. Funny that I just realized this about a month ago.

If I haven't taken my BP medication, 10 mg Lisonopril, for a day or so, my BP creeps up and I feel anxious.

Too much salt also makes me anxious.

I am still learning how my non drinking self works. I am getting there, and it has been over 5 years since I got drunk.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Long-time anxiety sufferer here so I can imagine how your work situation is amping up anxiety. Glad you decided not to drink.

Do you happen to have any digestive issues (GERD, excess acid, etc)? My stomach can really amp up my anxiety, especially if I’ve got any sort of acid reflux or if for example I eat spicy food the night before. I stumbled on that several years ago when I started taking Nexium for a short amount of time and my anxiety level went way way down. I’ve since learned that there is for some a connection between an anxious stomach or digestive track and general anxiety.

I take Lexapro for my anxiety, but the crazy thing is if my stomach is nice and calm generally I am.